Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 03-15-2008, 03:14 PM

No problem. Bearings are how I make a living so I'm happy to help.

Click on the sig below.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
No problem. Bearings are how I make a living so I'm happy to help.

Click on the sig below.
CarlC:

I enjoyed your web site.

Thanks for taking the time to put it together, your insight and explanations were clear and concise.

My car also has the, "RED", interior. It has been accented with Black as you pointed out, the red parts a fairly difficult to obtain.

Good luck with the refinement of your car, it is really sharp.

Once again thanks and take care.

Best Regards,

Ty O'Neal
Ty O'Neal
"She Devil" aka. Betty
1969/70 Camaro SS
427 LS3, 600
Keisler Road and Track T-56
Full size 3 link and custom roll cage
315mm tires on rear, should fit the same on front. Worked to design a more effective shape.
======================
"Chester's '65"
1965 Buick Riviera
Aiming for true PT Status with
the best available from the 70's and 80's
======================
Old 03-24-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccracin View Post
I would also be interested in the type of car or cars you have Chicane.
Oh... just a simple little 67 F-body.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane View Post
Oh... just a simple little 67 F-body.

I bet! LOL From what I've seen on here it's probably propelled by some 20" linear drivers tuned to about 18Hz to run silent to the human ear.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 03-24-2008, 01:48 PM

Not a lot of time to even breath these days, but I need a short distraction so I'll add a few cents. I ran a Moser Circle track style floater setup (9" based) on my (er..... Ty's) 69 street/track car for a number of years. When I sold the car I took it off, and literally threw it in the trash. Not because it was a floater, which I like and would use again, but rather because the quality of the floater setup itself was not good at all. First track day I ran it, merely two very short sessions not even at speed, a seal failed. No spares, end of day, which honestly was okay because it was ROASTING hot that day (remember that day, Carl at BuRP? actually broke the engine that day too but didn't know until later, which is why Ty has a bitchin bowtie block and full forged goodies now...). After a while, the drive plate to axle spline mate really loosened up, lots of backlash and the setup would rattle pretty good on the street/low speeds, etc, not under cruise or power, but still annoying. It was also VERY much a PITA to adapt the setup to typical street wheels, etc, I needed to turn down the outer hubs and dust shields to fit in the Kinesis wheel registers, and there was a lot more with brakes, etc. In the end, I was completely frustrated with it all, but again, this was due to the lack of quality of the components and the additional work to get it all to work in my application, NOT the design superiority of the floater concept (it IS a superior design, no question).

Then, over a year ago, we built a custom setup for a customer who supplied the floater snouts, hubs, etc. REALLY nice stuff, significantly higher quality than the Moser pieces. If memory serves, he used all Super Speedway stuff from Speedway Engineering, I'd have to check my notes which I do not have in front of me. When the time comes to build the next track car (which might be a while given my current status), I'll very most likely use this stuff too. For a weekend driven track car, or perhaps better stated, a car with license plates on it (Chicane excluded from this designator, btw), the semi-floater stuff such as the big bearing Ford ends are pretty darned capable and reliable, especially when used with disc brakes to hold the wheel on in the event of axle failure. If you do a lot of high speed track or open road stuff, it's probably a good idea to consider these (as well as all other smart safety features, such as fire system, etc). Above all though, do your homework on which system to use or you too could end up unhappy.

Mark

Tom: I got your e-mail, I'll shoot something out in a day or two.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean 69 View Post
Not a lot of time to even breath these days, but I need a short distraction so I'll add a few cents. I ran a Moser Circle track style floater setup (9" based) on my (er..... Ty's) 69 street/track car for a number of years. When I sold the car I took it off, and literally threw it in the trash. Not because it was a floater, which I like and would use again, but rather because the quality of the floater setup itself was not good at all. First track day I ran it, merely two very short sessions not even at speed, a seal failed. No spares, end of day, which honestly was okay because it was ROASTING hot that day (remember that day, Carl at BuRP? actually broke the engine that day too but didn't know until later, which is why Ty has a bitchin bowtie block and full forged goodies now...). After a while, the drive plate to axle spline mate really loosened up, lots of backlash and the setup would rattle pretty good on the street/low speeds, etc, not under cruise or power, but still annoying. It was also VERY much a PITA to adapt the setup to typical street wheels, etc, I needed to turn down the outer hubs and dust shields to fit in the Kinesis wheel registers, and there was a lot more with brakes, etc. In the end, I was completely frustrated with it all, but again, this was due to the lack of quality of the components and the additional work to get it all to work in my application, NOT the design superiority of the floater concept (it IS a superior design, no question).

Then, over a year ago, we built a custom setup for a customer who supplied the floater snouts, hubs, etc. REALLY nice stuff, significantly higher quality than the Moser pieces. If memory serves, he used all Super Speedway stuff from Speedway Engineering, I'd have to check my notes which I do not have in front of me. When the time comes to build the next track car (which might be a while given my current status), I'll very most likely use this stuff too. For a weekend driven track car, or perhaps better stated, a car with license plates on it (Chicane excluded from this designator, btw), the semi-floater stuff such as the big bearing Ford ends are pretty darned capable and reliable, especially when used with disc brakes to hold the wheel on in the event of axle failure. If you do a lot of high speed track or open road stuff, it's probably a good idea to consider these (as well as all other smart safety features, such as fire system, etc). Above all though, do your homework on which system to use or you too could end up unhappy.

Mark

=======================================

Mark:

Good to see your still out there. I hope everything is ding well for you.

Is this the link regarding the Full Floating Rear that you would be referring to?

http://www.1speedway.com/Floater_Rear_Ends.htm

http://www.1speedway.com/axle_endplay.htm

Take care, and keep me updated on your new projects.

Best Regards,

Ty O'Neal
Ty O'Neal
"She Devil" aka. Betty
1969/70 Camaro SS
427 LS3, 600
Keisler Road and Track T-56
Full size 3 link and custom roll cage
315mm tires on rear, should fit the same on front. Worked to design a more effective shape.
======================
"Chester's '65"
1965 Buick Riviera
Aiming for true PT Status with
the best available from the 70's and 80's
======================
Old 03-26-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:

Hey Homie... just seeing you bang out this little note breathes a sigh of relief for a few of us. No worries mate... I wont be feet dry until Friday.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
First track day I ran it, merely two very short sessions not even at speed, a seal failed. No spares, end of day, which honestly was okay because it was ROASTING hot that day (remember that day, Carl at BuRP?
106* in the shade and 142* on the track. It was a war of attrition.

I was bummed that your car broke. I wanted to go for a ride!