Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 PM

Cool 1000hp Sbc Vs 1000 Hp Bbc, Which One Would You Go With?

1000HP SBC VS 1000 HP BBC, WHICH WOULD YOU GO WITH?

Hello, currently I am about to build a 540cid standart deck BBC that soon is planed to run twin turbos.

My goal was around 3,5sec for 0-60 on the street with street radials and I was thinking 1000HP will be my need for that accerlation.

About the car

68 Impala SS427 clone

ca 1800kg

All heavy things are rear mounted at the backest possible point like bat, radiator (I saw that by the rally cars), soundsystem and so on

Car get a narrowd 9" for wider tires like 315 or even 345 and of course a posi differenzial.

I run Dart aluminum heads and want to go with a alu-engine too to lose some more weight on the front wheels
I also plan to go some inches back with the engine as far as possible.

4-link will be optimized

Now, I saw that Tom Nelson cranks 800HP out of a 427 SBC!!! and before I thought of course that guy know about hard valve springs, hottest cams and will go with race fuel to avoid detonation if he boosts the hell out of the block, but in one of the latest videos he stated that he got now a 427 SBC cranking out 1100HP Shocked
totally streetable on 91Okt on only 6 ****ing PSI which is the lowest performance on that engine

Seems like some more PSI and that engine is makeing 1500HP easily I think.

Of course I start wondering why the hell do I build a BBC for twice the money if a SBC is as strong as a BBC as well.

What is your members opinion about that competition, ok some of you will say the answer is, after the SBC is making 1100 now the stroker BBC will push out 1800-2000 but I think I will not get that much power on the streets, dont forget it is a street car and where I live we cannot drive Hoosier or M/T drag tires on the street.

Is there any speed/ or RPM range where it is a difference between 1000HP or 1500 or 1800HP when using the car on the street or will the HP always go out in nothing else than tire smoke?

Is there any benefit in the comparism between 1000HP SBC and 1000HP BBC, maybe the better low end torque would help by a car that is a bit heavier like my 1800kg Impala.

I have to say in that 69 Camaro 427 twin turbo video I realized that Tom always goes up to 4000RPM before he makes the kick down, maybe that would be different with a BBC

A crazy detai is that since new more and more mebers boost Big Blocks, I read every day things like 454TT, 502TT, 509 TT, 540 TT so a lot of people want to go that way now but maybe the most of them are drag racers and do not use ther cars on the street (maybe) but like that some fellas do the same now.

Tell me what you think, maybe I change to an SBC although I am proud of my stroker BBC

Thanks Hannes

Last edited by hannes_slanec; 10-13-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 PM

I vote small block. it is lighter and if it is one of Toms motors you cant go wrong. My 434SBC from Nelson made over 1500hp!! with about 1300lbs/trq
Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 PM

I would go twin turbo small block but if you want tourque BB is the way to go, the small block will never do the same as the BB we have the built 572 in our Camaro and its a killer in tourque. The SB is quick the big block just kicks you in
Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSting View Post
I vote small block. it is lighter and if it is one of Toms motors you cant go wrong. My 434SBC from Nelson made over 1500hp!! with about 1300lbs/trq
Thanks for your opinion

Letīs go a bit deeper into it:

What static compression

How much boost

1500HP on what kind of fuel

How wild was the cam, valve springs and so on

Would you see a problem using that engine on the street for years

Thanks Hannes
Old 10-13-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fesler View Post
I would go twin turbo small block but if you want tourque BB is the way to go, the small block will never do the same as the BB we have the built 572 in our Camaro and its a killer in tourque. The SB is quick the big block just kicks you in
Thanks for your answer too,

so a car that is a bit heavier would benefit from the BBC with Turbos, right?

With a big block it may be unnessery to wait for 4.000 rpm to kick down the gas padel.

That means 1000HP and 1000HP is not automatically the same performance?

Thanks so far guys

Last edited by hannes_slanec; 10-13-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 AM

Default k

i just don't know where to begin.

first your NOT going to put a honest 1000 horsepower down on radials on the street maybee from a 50 mph roll but not 0-60

and yes i can speak from experiance since my race car ran mid sevens on radials.

yes nelson can do it easy if you want to spend a metric ton of money but there are plenty of others out there who can do the same thing for far less imo.

my radial cars motor put out 2600 horsepower and 2000 torque from a 434 cube small block ford with street style heads .. no yates heads or anything crazy and a single turbo. < 114 mm >

any engine shop can build you a 430 + cube motor with good heads and proper cam and then do a custom turbo kit with a 88 mm large frame turbo or a pair of t-67's and at 8-12 psi on pump gas you will easily hit 1k horsepower its not rocket science realy .. i build em all day like this.

Last edited by sacarguy; 10-14-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarguy View Post

1st,

your NOT going to put a honest 1000 horsepower down on radials on the street maybee from a 50 mph roll but not 0-60
Means, the high horses will be to feel when it comes from 60-120mph or something like that?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,455 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes_slanec View Post
Means, the high horses will be to feel when it comes from 60-120mph or something like that?

Thanks
means you cannot hook 1000 hp with street radials, so the 3.6 second 0-60 will be extremely tough to do. However, from a roll 1000 hp is like a freight train, and very little can match the acceleration.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 AM

The 4 link, if its a parallel, won't make a difference on the street and the ride would be way too uncomfortable and harsh. Torque is what makes the car accelerate quickly. If you used some kind of positive displacent supercharger like a, roots, Kenne bell, Whipple, Magnuson that develop max torque at 2500 rpm, your max hp figure would probably not neeed to be more than 500-600 hp before your tires would blow off(depending on gearing, transmission, tire height, etc) up to 80=90 mph. My 2 cents.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacuda View Post
The 4 link, if its a parallel, won't make a difference on the street and the ride would be way too uncomfortable and harsh. Torque is what makes the car accelerate quickly. If you used some kind of positive displacent supercharger like a, roots, Kenne bell, Whipple, Magnuson that develop max torque at 2500 rpm, your max hp figure would probably not neeed to be more than 500-600 hp before your tires would blow off(depending on gearing, transmission, tire height, etc) up to 80=90 mph. My 2 cents.
I dont need any more low end punch since traction is a problem anyway, that is why I want to go with boost from the midrange when I have grip again.
500-600HP would make my 540 as N/A.

The 4-link will make a big difference, the angle of the trailing arms to the street and to one another is everything, I have a lot of literature about that issue and will keep the advises

But lets come back to the topic, what benefits if I use a BBC over a SBC with the same performance?

Thanks Hannes