Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-28-2018, 11:13 PM

Thank you guys for all the positive comments! This certainly isn't one of the more glamorous, one-off builds here on Lat-G but I'm definitely proud to call it my own. I enjoy just being able to look back at the progress made after a good day's work in the garage. Of course, the ultimate reward will be when this thing's turn key and ready to drive, fine tune and enjoy!

So over the last couple of days, I've been able to track down and install radiator hoses and button up the cooling package (with the exception that I'm a couple of thermal clamps short) as well as get my fuel system plumbing done. Doesn't sound like much but that's two big checks on the To Do list. I can post up some part numbers for the radiator hoses if anyone's interested. I combed thru the part number archives here and test fit several variations and even cut up a couple only to decide I wasn't happy with the fit/appearance before finally settling on a couple hoses from NAPA. There's plenty of good options out there, but for me, dealing with availability and the fact that I wanted to see it with hoses installed, I think these look pretty good...
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Gmachine1911 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-29-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 11:20 PM

Another shot from the top...oddly enough, one of the goals for the top radiator hose was to have it run prallell with the radiator and the front drive system. I'm happy with the result here...just waiting on a couple more Gates thermal hose clamps and I'm all set, other than the Vintage Air components, of course. Hopefully I'll see those this week!
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2018, 11:30 PM

It's a little hard to see much detail but here's a shot of the front part of my fuel line plumbing. I made the line a 2 piece setup after having lots of fun trying to remove the one-piece fuel/brake lines that I had during the initial disassembly. With the Quadralink setup and all the intricate bends it requires to keep things tucked out of the way, I didn't see the point in torturing myself trying to make it one piece in the event it had to be removed at a later time. I took great care to keep the lines tucked up tight and away from heat sources. I went ahead and put some DEI insulation on the line where it would be closest to the tail pipes as they came over the rear axle.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2018, 11:44 PM

Here's a shot of the coil over crossmember area. I mounted the filter/regulator combo to the top of the crossmember. Originally, I wanted to mount it to the frame rail just behind the rear footwell area but I just couldn't seem to make the fittings accessible with the E-brake cable and sway bar mounts. Besides, I knew the mufflers would be occupying the adjacent real estate and that would compound the removal issue (since this will be a maintenance item), not to mention the heat exposure. I'm not totally crazy about the current mounting spot but it's the lesser of evils, is out of the way of the suspension travel and relatively safe from heat...hard to see all my attention to bending with the heat insulation on it!
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2018, 11:48 PM

Here's the fuel line running up the rear frame rail area...got some clamps coming so I'll be able to get it secured...I wanted to keep it as close to the top of the frail rail as possible...
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2018, 12:01 AM

Here's a random shot from the back which shows how well the DSE headers tuck in for ground clearance yet they still have plenty of distance from the floor pan...totally worth the money...

I still need to relocate the second hole for the trans mount so you can see my reference marks on the painter's tape...
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2018, 06:36 PM

Just for reference, the part numbers for the radiator hoses I ended up using are 8961 for the top hose (1.25" diameter on both ends) and 9662 for the bottom hose (1.5" diameter on both ends). Again, these are Gates hoses from NAPA. Both required some minor trimming for size/fitment but I'd rather have too much then not enough. I'm running a PRC radiator with twin Spal fans setup for LS hoses.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:33 PM

So I came across this bracket in an attempt to not have to redo the Third Gen Camaro/Firebird throttle mount setup. This mount uses three bolts in a triangular pattern. Since I originally planned to reuse my big block and this setup, I welded up a mount to the inside of the firewall during the build.

After switching to an LS motor with the DBW setup, I knew I'd have to work up a different mount but hated to have to deal with undoing the sound deadener, rewelding/repainting/re-bed lining the affected areas. In a lazy effort to try and utilize the work I'd already completed, I searched far and wide for an LS DBW pedal bracket that would bolt to the existing pattern I had. I found mostly the brackets that utilize the steering column mounts for rigidity but didn't like the fact that they look like an after thought in the car. So I resigned myself to modifying the GM bracket but the problem there is that they appear to require a sizeable spacer to position the pedal properly and upon doing so you lose some much needed rigidity.

Just about the time I decided to make one from scratch, I stumbled upon the exact mount I needed from Scarebird Classics. I got it today and did a test fit after drilling out the mounting holes for 5/16" bolts and I must say I'm quite impressed. It's a heavy piece and very sturdy. The pedal bolts on perfectly and when attached to the mount I made, the pedal is located exactly where GM recommends in their instructions in relation to the brake pedal...plus it feels natural to the foot. I'm going out now and buying a lottery ticket b/c this is just too good to be true! Anyway, here's a couple of pics. I pulled it back out for paint and once installed, I can check that off the list!
Attached Images

syborg tt (12-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 07:40 PM

Painted and ready...
Attached Images

syborg tt (12-29-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 11:36 PM

Been busy working on wrapping up some details. Got the Vintage Air evaporator kit, condenser kit, etc...made more sense to buy the various kits I needed as opposed to the complete kit as I already had some of the key components.

I forgot to take a pic with the evaporator in place but here's a "before" shot.
Attached Images

syborg tt (12-29-2018)