Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

No way, there was no sarcasm intended. To the contrary, you mentioned here or on P-T that you were considering the swap because a manual trans became available and because $5K is out of your price range. My answer was: Expect to spend some money.

You asked and my answer is that 1000HP and 200mph is an unrealistic expectation for stock parts. Ask yourself how much clutch clamping force is required to harness that power and the forces such as aero drag that will oppose that power. What about driveshaft rpm in double overdrive? Have you done the math? You shoud be gearing for 200mph in 1:1--not overdrive.

I sincerely apologize of you interpreted my response as sarcasm. It wasn't. But I'm also not gonna blow sunshine up your ass. 1000hp is a lot of power. I don't care if Joe Blow's car is getting it done, because Joe Blow doesn't put food on my table--or yours. If your drivetrain blows up because you talked yourself into an inferior, oversimplified choice--you'll spend 150%-300% of the original correct estimate cleaning up the mess.

Manual or auto--expect to spend some money. That sounds like a mature, fair assessment.

Ridetech.com
Old 12-29-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrorocket
....But the 4L80 would allow me to buy one of those awesome paddle shift wheels from that sarcastic guy on here, but then I cannot do the standing mile..
Don't do a 4L80E unless you are geared for 1:1. Overdrive will not hold at 200mph--It was designed for economy--not racing.

Ridetech.com
Old 12-29-2006, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAA

I've seen that! Stock case Viper T56 making about 1700 hp!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:28 AM

This is where I stand at this moment. I have 3 people that will trade an entire T56 setup for my trans. Sounds like the stock T56 will hold all my power, but I can NEVER power shift. I t would allow me to do everything I want to, but. Down the road the option to power shift will cost me about $1000 bucks. I would have to do some work to get it in.

2 guys have a 4l80 with just a mild performance rebuild, Will go right in but will not do a standing mile. But would be nice with my LS1 pcm...
Old 12-29-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
This is where I stand at this moment. I have 3 people that will trade an entire T56 setup for my trans. Sounds like the stock T56 will hold all my power, but I can NEVER power shift. I t would allow me to do everything I want to, but. Down the road the option to power shift will cost me about $1000 bucks. I would have to do some work to get it in.

2 guys have a 4l80 with just a mild performance rebuild, Will go right in but will not do a standing mile. But would be nice with my LS1 pcm...
That assessment is exactly accurate. As for the 4L80E swap you will gain better control over calibration as compared to you TH400. In either case, your standing mile is best achieved with the trans in 3rd gear (not OD) and a gear splitter hanging off the rear. That will also shorten your driveshaft--which is a very good thing at overdriven RPM.

If it helps, Mark Bowler makes electronics that will gear change (actuate electric shift solenoids) and gear split (actuate GV) a 4L80E from my paddle shifter. So you get a six speed with the shifter in 3rd (D) for racing use and an eight speed for economy use (when the shifter is moved to 4th OD). That won't help you accomplish all of your goals today, but it gives you something to shoot for. 4L80E and stock pcm now, Gear Vendor and Bowler electronics down the line.

Ridetech.com
Old 12-29-2006, 09:58 AM

Hmmmm.

I contacted FLT and they told me there 4l80 will handle full power for short periods of time in 4th as long as I let off the throttle during the 4th gear shift.

I could always have this mod done in the future.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
.... full power for short periods of time in 4th...
Read between the lines. That phrase is contrary to a 200mph banzai run. If you're gearing for O.D. you will need to be in 4th for a good long while. My guess is that shortly after shifting into 4th, the car will begin to shudder from insufficient friction surface. What is your top speed now at 1:1? A 4L80E shares more than 70% of it's parts with a TH400. So you already have a fair performance comparison at your disposal.

p.s.
See? No sarcasm. I was only trying to be straight with you--good news or bad. My customers come to appreciate my brutal honesty. Saves em money and grief in the long run.

Ridetech.com
Old 12-29-2006, 02:21 PM

for the record i have to change my second gear syncos about every 800 miles and i have 618/648.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:55 PM

a tilton, carbon/carbon clutch is 3500 dollars... granted it will feather as smooth as a stock honda clutch and have about the same pedal pressure as a geo storm... but the price leaves little green for a tranny... a ford AOD can be built to handle that power, and you can order it with gm housing.. i have a full manual, transbrake AOD for my stack injected BBC 32 ford... the gm/aod hybrid with ford motorsport gearsets will handle full power 3/4 shifts at your powerlevel... (just dont buy it from ck performance)

with regards to the powershifts, you could mount an egr solenoid to a vacuum canister to actuate the BOV's as soon as you touched the clutch.. that would relieve some charge pressure and momentarily reduce the power to a synchro friendly level...

but i have one question... with 800 foot pounds of tourque... who needs a transmission?.. all you really need is a PG, and gear it for 200 mph in second and you can still 120 mph burnouts by mashing the throttle..
Old 12-29-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
but i have one question... with 800 foot pounds of tourque... who needs a transmission?.. all you really need is a PG, and gear it for 200 mph in second and you can still 120 mph burnouts by mashing the throttle..
this would be my theory, with that kind of power you could just re-gear for the disired speed and not give up too much on the bottom due to the huge power. might not even be a bad thing to tame it on the bottom end with the gears because I cant imagine you have a great deal of traction when taking off with the curent setup.

and re-gearing would probably be the cheapest too and you get to keep your bulletproof t400

good luck with wich ever you decide.

72 Nova SS, Plans have changed a little:artmorrison front subframe, and rear 3 link, pretty much stock ls1 and six speed with a single turbo for around 550hp. with a few other things mixed in.

current cruiser: "The green machine"

'70 Impala 4drht, 26K original miles, 2" drop springs and large swaybars, drives pretty good for a land yahct

and why do we modify everything...."BECAUSE STOCK SUCKS"