...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2014, 11:55 AM
jlwdvm jlwdvm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 339
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default 2-post lifts to stay away from?

Hoping to get a 2-post lift ordered in the next 10 days. It will be for personal use and needs to be a base plate model due to my 112" post height limitation. My overall garage height is over 10.5", but there are 2 spanning beams in the ceiling that support the bedrooms above the garage that are right where my posts need to go! I am looking to spend between $15-2300. We are pouring footings for the posts this week. It seems like I have been researching this forever and still can't make up my mind. Are there any lifts out there that you have had experience with that a guy should stay away from?

Last edited by jlwdvm; 01-06-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:34 PM
OBeer-WAN-Kenobi's Avatar
OBeer-WAN-Kenobi OBeer-WAN-Kenobi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
Hoping to get a 2-post lift ordered in the next 10 days. It will be for personal use and needs to be a base plate model due to my 112" post height limitation. My overall garage height is over 10.5", but there are 2 spanning beams in the ceiling that support the bedrooms above the garage that are right where my posts need to go! I am looking to spend between $15-2300. We are pouring footings for the posts this week. It seems like I have been researching this forever and still can't make up my mind. Are there any lifts out there that you have had experience with that a guy should stay away from?
I'd just make sure to buy something that is ALI/ETL certified. I have a shorter ceiling in my shop as well but I was able to get away with a challenger E10 clear floor lift. I just put the cross bar up and over the rafters. My '69 camaro will go all the way up! My lift was $2700 shipped and it's 10,000 lbs rated.

This pic was when we were installing it. I've gotten rid of some of the junk since then.

P.S. I will never ever know how I got along without this lift. It makes everything so much easier and makes things enjoyable that previously weren't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg liftinstall.jpg (57.4 KB, 567 views)
__________________
'69 RS Camaro
'99 SWB Silverado LS "Beater"
'01 GMC Sierra 2500HD LQ4 (Turbo build)
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4


My '69 Camaro Build Thread

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 01-06-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AriDzona
Posts: 20,665
Thanks: 504
Thanked 1,064 Times in 373 Posts
Default

Avoid Anything made in China... and you'd be surprised how many of them are.


Eagle Lift -- acts like they are a manufacturer and they're not - they're a reseller / rebranded lift. If you have an issue with the wrong parts --- it can take forever to get it solved. Ask me how I know first hand.

Gemini Lifts are made in Texas --- and that's actually what I got from Eagle Lift. Might as well bought it direct. But nowadays even the USA manufacturers are importing lifts from China so they can be competitive.


I since ditched that lift and went with a really good lift - Rotary Lift. But like most things you get what you pay for. I wish I'd have bought the Rotary the first time around.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 PM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AriDzona
Posts: 20,665
Thanks: 504
Thanked 1,064 Times in 373 Posts
Default

Oh - btw -- the lift is the best tool in your shop once you have one. Make a wise decision. You'd be shocked how much it gets used.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 PM
jlwdvm jlwdvm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 339
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Everything in my price range is made in China! So I think I may have found a good Chinese-made lift backed by a reputable American company:
http://www.derekweaver.com/rodders-g...-lifts/hr8000/ The guys over on GarageJournal.com seem to think highly of Direct Lift which is a division of the same company that owns Rotary Lifts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 PM
OBeer-WAN-Kenobi's Avatar
OBeer-WAN-Kenobi OBeer-WAN-Kenobi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
Everything in my price range is made in China! So I think I may have found a good Chinese-made lift backed by a reputable American company:
http://www.derekweaver.com/rodders-g...-lifts/hr8000/ The guys over on GarageJournal.com seem to think highly of Direct Lift which is a division of the same company that owns Rotary Lifts.
It's not certified AND it's made in China. Remember that you're going to be under this thing....with a large heavy car on it. IMHO, spend a few minutes checking out YouTube videos of lift failures and then proceed to save up a few hundred more bucks and get one that's at least certified.

Full disclosure: Mine is Challengers less expensive model with some parts made in China BUT it's ALI/ETL certified at 10,000 lbs; 2,000 lbs more than the one you linked, and its only $400 over your price range. I'm not telling you to get the brand I have, just that a few hundred more can get you a beefier unit and some piece of mind. I went through the same thing you are going through before deciding to cough up the extra dough.
__________________
'69 RS Camaro
'99 SWB Silverado LS "Beater"
'01 GMC Sierra 2500HD LQ4 (Turbo build)
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4


My '69 Camaro Build Thread

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 01-06-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 PM
vstol vstol is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi View Post
I'd just make sure to buy something that is ALI/ETL certified. I have a shorter ceiling in my shop as well but I was able to get away with a challenger E10 clear floor lift. I just put the cross bar up and over the rafters. My '69 camaro will go all the way up! My lift was $2700 shipped and it's 10,000 lbs rated.

This pic was when we were installing it. I've gotten rid of some of the junk since then.

P.S. I will never ever know how I got along without this lift. It makes everything so much easier and makes things enjoyable that previously weren't.
Old post but thinking of the LE-10 how is yours holding up
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 AM
ZMAN1969's Avatar
ZMAN1969 ZMAN1969 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas Tx
Posts: 218
Thanks: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

old thread but there are other American made lifts other than Mohawk:

http://worthequipment.com/2postlifts.htm

they have 2 and 4 post I bought a used one and this is damn stout definitely thick steel
I am happy with mine and had it 7 years
__________________
'69 Trans Am clonification under construction -still!
LS6 6speed
69 R/S Z28 Daytona Yellow 302
15 ZL1
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZMAN1969 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (09-12-2019)
  #9  
Old 09-12-2019, 12:44 PM
BigBronco's Avatar
BigBronco BigBronco is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 74
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Need to get one of those 9' tall Worth 2-posts!
__________________
2019 Ford Raptor | Daily Driver
1972 Nova | LSX | 6 Speed
1969 Mach 1 Fastback | New Project
Hers: 1968 Firebird: 400 Poncho | TH-350 | Cruiser
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net