Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Goodguys Events
User Name
Password

Old 11-16-2013, 05:22 PM

Back to Back 64's......that's bringing some game!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Good Guys

It was by far the best AutoCrossers ever and the crowds were huge all day..

Cincinnati, Ohio’s Danny Popp was born to AutoCross. Raised in a racing family, Popp began soloing at SCCA AutoCross events at the tender age of 16. He hasn’t looked back since. In a career that’s spanned 27 years he’s racked up 13 national championships in SCCA and NASA AutoCross racing. Proving he can get it done on the “big course” as well, Popp was a popular winner of the 2011 Optima Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational event at Las Vegas.

He can now add another championship trophy to his mantle. On a perfect 70-degree afternoon at Westworld in Scottsdale, Arizona this past weekend, Popp proved once again he’s the nation’s top AutoCross driver by steering his family’s 1972 Corvette to a hard-fought win in the first-ever Goodguys AutoCross Finals Shootout event.

This was no ordinary AutoCross. This was a 24-car field of the top cone chasers in the country. The lineup included past SCCA Solo Champions Mary Pozzi, Mike Maier, Jim McKamey, Brian Hobaugh (fresh off a win in the 2013 OUSCI), McGregor, Voelkel – the who’s who was all in here in Scottsdale.

Popp’s run to victory wasn’t easy. He started off slow (for him) during Friday’s qualifications and stayed up into the wee hours of the morning, welding and thrashing on his mighty Corvette. His elimination runs got gradually quicker and he soon became the quickest car on race day clicking off an event-best 64.669 in the semi-finals.

After four grueling rounds of eliminations, his final round opponent turned out to be none other than nemesis and fellow fast Corvette guy Brian Hobaugh. These two have a long standing kinship and have raced each other in the past which you can read about here.

As the two titans faced off in the final, Popp went out first, bobbing weaving and thundering to a 64.914. With the imposing number posted on the board, Hobaugh strapped in his family’s ’65 Corvette and gave it his all. His fate was sealed on a tight turn when an orange cone was flung skyward, spelling certain defeat (hitting a cone is a costly 1 second penalty in Goodguys AutoCross competition). Like a true champion, Hobaugh legged it out to a valiant 66.362 run.

Ever the enthusiastic racer, Popp was emotional in the winner’s circle. “I know my mom Judy was looking on today” he said. “My mom and dad (Herb Popp) raised me at the track. My dad bought this Corvette over 40 years ago and I still get to drive it. As a young kid, I just knew I wanted to race AutoCross for the rest of my life. And today we got it done. This was the hardest field I’ve ever raced. There has to be over 40 SCCA national championships combined with all these drivers here today. I couldn’t be happier”

Popp’s menacing blue Corvette features a destroked Lingenfelter-built LS7 which pumps out 550 rear wheel horsepower. The car uses Vansteel Corvette suspension with JRi shocks, Forgeline GA3R 18-inch wheels, 6-piston and 4-piston Wilwood brakes and BF Goodrich “Rival” tires

By winning the event, Popp was named Goodguys 2013 AutoCrosser of the Year and in addition to the $3,000 winner’s check, he’ll receive a custom toolbox from Snap-on Tools and tires from BF Goodrich.

Goodguy Ed
Old 11-17-2013, 08:54 AM

I wish I could have been there to see it.

How awesome is it that the finals were between two guys that are running .........functional family heirlooms (for lack of a better term).
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Good stuff Ed!

Was good to see you again. And watch you shag cones! Hahahaha

I think the whole show was epic.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 PM

it was a great weekend, I was honored to be among such amazing drivers and even better people and friends, it was great to meet many new faces from the east coast, this event from goodguys was fantastic ....... A HUGE thanks to Ed and Trent it was first rate, Tim Strange from TV did an awesome job announcing and keep every up on who was racing and times going on, my only complaint is that it wasn't long enough!! it eneded and all i wanted to do was to keep hanging out and racing see everyone next year and congrats to Danny, Brian, Jim and Mary great job

Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.