Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy03 View Post
Hello I hate to ask this question but I have been doing research and don't really know my answer yet. I have a 1969 Camaro, just the body, freshly painted with a stock freshly painted subframe. I will be putting a ls3 blown in the car with a 6spd. It will be used for weekend driving, no autocross or racing events but I like to drive hard and have a well handling car. I was looking at Speedtech stuff, roadster shop stuff, DSE and ridetech. I am leaning towards the roadster shop spec chassis because of the price. I can get the chassis for around $13,000 with the options I want and the rear end already on the chassis. I also like the fact that it is full frame so it can support the horsepower I will be putting in the car. The speedtech stuff looks great but after doing it all will probly be in the 20k range. The ridetech stuff is nice but with the options and rear end, it'll be almost at where the roadster shop chassis is and Id rather just buy that. DSE, that's also in the high teen to 20 range with all options. This is not a show car so I really don't care what it looks like under the car, they will all look good once done. I just want the car to handle the horsepower and handle good. Any suggestions from your experience would be very greatly appreciated. Also the car will be mini tubed. Thank You
It looks like you have a pretty cool project underway!

All of the manufacturers that you have been researching are top notch and make great components. Picking between them really all comes down to what your long term goals are, how invasive do you want the components to be and what type of investment range are you looking to stay in. They all have their components on cars with four digit HP figures and when installed correctly, will take whatever you want to throw at them.

Our 1st Gen kit can be found under multiple cars and just about any autocross event across the country. We've been running the same kit under our 48hr Camaro that you can buy straight out of the catalog for your car.
There aren't any top secret components under there that aren't obtainable by our customers. The car is a test bed and a testament to the quality of components that we manufacture. We beat on that car like the Waffle House beats its eggs!

Now, I know that isn't what you have in mind for your car but I mention it because its important. Knowing that the same suspension components under your car are under some of the most competitive autocross cars across the country really says something. Just because you may not ever push your car that hard, doesn't mean that you shouldn't have the option to.

Just because it isn't a show car doesn't mean that you have to sacrifice looks for performance. Our components are all assembled right here in Indiana and powder coated a chassis black for a subtle appearance. We don't require the use of an aftermarket subframe so the one that you already have painted is pretty much ready for our components right out of the box. The rear cradle is designed to bolt in and is minimally invasive. There is no drastic cutting of the frame rails or floor pans to install it and when paired with the Currie housing that we offer, you wont even have to weld tabs to the rear end. All the measuring and cutting is done for you, pick your gear set and it comes ready to assemble.

You didn't mention if you were planning on installing it yourself or having it installed but I believe I can get you set up from front to rear, housing and center section included, for right at $10k. That will include the complete coilover kit, our Tru Turn Steering components as well as front AND rear sway bars.

I appreciate your research, I know that if you ask around there will be plenty of customers who would be more than happy to give you their feedback on the Ridetech product line up. Ask their opinions, compare and contrast between manufacturers and establish which setup will be right for you, I don't think you will be disappointed in what we have to offer. If you ever have any questions, feel free to contact me direct. I will be more than happy to help. 812-481-4737
Attached Images

[email protected]
Ridetech.com
Old 01-06-2018, 07:05 AM

Thank you all again for the replies. I still am going back and forth between the ride tech stuff and speedtech. It sounds like I will save about 6k going with ridetech but obviously for the 6k more you do get very good components. If I was going to autocross the car I’d probably go ridetech but I won’t and never have so I’m not going to lie to myself. Have a tough decision but I’m sure I’ll be asking a ton of questions later on and updating my progress. Thanks again
Old 01-06-2018, 07:51 AM

I’ve owned cars with an AME subframe and Ridetech Level 2 with Truturn and I can absolutely say that for street driving the AME subframe was far superior in terms of ride quality. I will not do an upgraded factory sub ever again. They may be great on the track but they are harsh on the street in my experience. I don’t know if it is the heims or geometry or....

Don
Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 PM

When you say harsh, do you mean feeling like a race suspension? or just a ****ty ride overall?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy03 View Post
When you say harsh, do you mean feeling like a race suspension? or just a ****ty ride overall?
Car is great on smooth pavement but you feel every little bump and pothole. AME handled just as well but soaked up the bumps with ease.

Don
Old 01-16-2018, 05:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

Don,

Which car did you ride in with our setup? We have different levels of parts we used based on intended use of the vehicle. The 48 Hour Camaro, for example, runs nearly 1000# front coils, Delrin and heims everywhere, and has everything as tight and stiff as we can get it, and virtually no sound deadening as it weighs too much. . .but it needs every advantage it can get in the current autocross climate.
That being said, the electronic shocks do make a HUGE difference in ride quality as I can basically turn them off when I want.

My guess is that your AME sub utilizes OE corvette control arms and they still have the rubber bushings? They would lower NVH of course, but when pushed to the limits would move enough to alter tire contact patch. So a completely equal car to yours with the exception something like our C5/6/7 Corvette Delrin control arm bushings would click the stopwatch just a touch quicker.
Again, it all depends on the intended purpose of the vehicle and how the car was setup.

As always ride quality is such a subjective thing. I've ridden in and tuned so many cars over the years I have a pretty decent "butt dyno". I prefer my sports cars a bit on the stiff side with slightly increased NVH. . .I'm ok with that and think it actually adds to the experience.
However, I also have a 66 Lincoln Continental convertible which feels like a Spanish galleon on the North Sea. ..so when I want to drive my couch I just take the Lincoln.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marolf101x View Post
Don,

Which car did you ride in with our setup? We have different levels of parts we used based on intended use of the vehicle. The 48 Hour Camaro, for example, runs nearly 1000# front coils, Delrin and heims everywhere, and has everything as tight and stiff as we can get it, and virtually no sound deadening as it weighs too much. . .but it needs every advantage it can get in the current autocross climate.
That being said, the electronic shocks do make a HUGE difference in ride quality as I can basically turn them off when I want.

My guess is that your AME sub utilizes OE corvette control arms and they still have the rubber bushings? They would lower NVH of course, but when pushed to the limits would move enough to alter tire contact patch. So a completely equal car to yours with the exception something like our C5/6/7 Corvette Delrin control arm bushings would click the stopwatch just a touch quicker.
Again, it all depends on the intended purpose of the vehicle and how the car was setup.

As always ride quality is such a subjective thing. I've ridden in and tuned so many cars over the years I have a pretty decent "butt dyno". I prefer my sports cars a bit on the stiff side with slightly increased NVH. . .I'm ok with that and think it actually adds to the experience.
However, I also have a 66 Lincoln Continental convertible which feels like a Spanish galleon on the North Sea. ..so when I want to drive my couch I just take the Lincoln.
Britt, I built a 69 Camaro with Ridetech Level 2 and Tru-Turn for my wife. Spring rates are what was shipped with the system. Heim joints on the rear arms and Tru-turn.

I am currently building another 69 Camaro with an AME front sub and their IRS. I have high hopes for this car.

Don

Last edited by dhutton; 01-16-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the reply, man Im going back and forth with it all. Ridetech seems to have awesome customer service and great parts and Speedtech seems to have their kits down as well. I like the fact that I can put 315 front tires with speed tech just incase I do get into any type of auto crossing or racing. Speedtech total package is only about 3-4k more by the time you look at it all, so do I save that money and wish I had done it in the first place? In the end when you have a 80k+ build whats 3-4k more. Im still going over it all, thanks for the continued input, really appreciated.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 PM

I am going through the same thing. I have a 69 camaro as we'll and have ride tech 4 link but stock front suspension.

I am upgrading to willwood and forge lines and need a solid front. In my honest opinion you are right. If you have the cash do it once and do it right. I am a firm believer in that.

If the dollar wouldn't kill me so bad being up here in Canada I would go with the roadster shop spec chassis. It was going to be close to $20 grand Canadian with shipping plus powder coat.

I have done tons of research and for my car which will be street driven but must handle well I am going with the speed tech pro touring frame with the afx spindles. The company has been around forever , the subframe is tried and true and won't break the bank. It also gives the look of a nice custom frame which is very important to me, rack and pinion steering , etc vs doing the ride tech it's awesome product , however you still have an ugly looking sub frame under the car.

Now you say you don't care what it looks like underneath? Why spend all that money ? Maybe just go with the ride tech it will give you the performance for a fraction of the cost of a full frame ?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-Z0SICK View Post
I am going through the same thing. I have a 69 camaro as we'll and have ride tech 4 link but stock front suspension.

I am upgrading to willwood and forge lines and need a solid front. In my honest opinion you are right. If you have the cash do it once and do it right. I am a firm believer in that.

If the dollar wouldn't kill me so bad being up here in Canada I would go with the roadster shop spec chassis. It was going to be close to $20 grand Canadian with shipping plus powder coat.

I have done tons of research and for my car which will be street driven but must handle well I am going with the speed tech pro touring frame with the afx spindles. The company has been around forever , the subframe is tried and true and won't break the bank. It also gives the look of a nice custom frame which is very important to me, rack and pinion steering , etc vs doing the ride tech it's awesome product , however you still have an ugly looking sub frame under the car.

Now you say you don't care what it looks like underneath? Why spend all that money ? Maybe just go with the ride tech it will give you the performance for a fraction of the cost of a full frame ?
you won't be disappointed Thank you for the support