Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 AM

yeah, 60-80 would be tight, but as long as it wasn't ground shaking build might be able to be done, I am spec building a 68 camaro convertible this fall/winter, it will be 500hp, 4l60 or t-56, subtle body mods, real nice interior, a great reliable pro touring car with everything done right, gonna sell it for 50-70k
jake
Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

You are ahead of the game if you found a real nice car for $7K. But $7K cars usually need a lot of metal work. Much of the damage might be hidden. If you can perform the metal work yourself, then you are ahead of the game once again. If you cannot weld and fabricate, the repair costs will add up quickly. After you have a sound foundation, parts cost adds up quick--especially when temptation kicks in. Once that happens (tempation), it's very easy to talk yourself out of $50K.

And we, as a group, are a VERY bad influence.

Ridetech.com
Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 AM

I am going through the process right now.Had a great idea yesterday to sit down and figure off the top of my head how much i have spent on my car.I started out building a big hp,mini tubbed,but it started to snowball over the past two years to a lot more.I thank all of that to Marquez design, Frank at Prodigy and DSE.I could have built my car in the 35-45 range and not done as much,but that seemed too easy.Instead i drained my savings.Right now with paint i am at 71500 and still need a few grand more for chrome and odd and end stuff. hopefully i will get it back from paint in the near future and try to get it finished up this winter.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Everybody has talked about money but don't forget all the problems you can have with all the different shops and vendors that you have to buy parts and do custom work. I had to change builders after one year and my engine guy still owes me money. If you are going to do it be careful who you get loose with your pocket book with. For reference I have been very happy with Prodigy Customs, Detroit Speed, and Boze Alloys.
As far as money goes it depends on how bad you want your car to be. I was actually in the same delima when I started. New Z06 or kick ass resto mod. No comparison for me because I am a gear head like mentioned. I want something special that I built. You will have more money in your Resto Mod. If you build a 60-100k car it has to be top quality which means a full restoration and it's not cheap. I would set down and build a spreadsheet with all the parts you plan to buy,labor, cost of the car, shipping, etc and see if you are in for the long haul because it's not as easy as it looks!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:47 AM

i would think that if you are capable of doing most of the grunt work yourself and youre willing to search for the bang for the buck deals you could make it a 35k project.. ive sat down many times and just built a list of everything i wanted in my car an never went over 35k.. granted almost all the labor and fabrication was my work and my time i think that if you really want it youll get it.. i think it also depends on whether or not your buillding an all out show car that is going to be knit picked to no end or whether your like me and just want a nice solid car that you can go out and rag on and drive the hell out of and still take to a few car shows and grab a trophy.. trust me id love to own some of the cars on here but i also know my 35k car will be just as much fun without breaking the bank.. i dont plan on sellin my car and im building it for me.. if you have the money to go out and buy a z06 then you have the money to build a badass 69.. just depends on how much time and effort your willing to dish out..
Old 08-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

I think you can spend boat loads of money on a car and still not have a nice car. IMO build the car with a straight body, nice paint, reliable motor, OD tranny, solid rear, updated stance and handling components, air conditioning, comfortable seats, reliable gauges, wheels of personal taste, stereo of choice and call it a day. You can never go wrong IMO by staying with the basics and make them quality and nice. It's when you try and make a camaro out of a mustang you get in trouble. Whatever those components and labor cost (if any) in the end is more accurate than just throwing out #'s.

Obviously mods from the basics will increase cost.

Like a new business, have a reserve set aside for the little things and de- bugging issues that always arise.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:15 PM

10k suspension and that would be with a mini tub kit.

4k brakes 13"

10k paint body

10k powertrain (engine and tranny)

5k interior using year one and some after market seats.

4k in wheels and tires

total around 45k but give your self another 5k for a buffer and you would have to do most of it yourself. I will say that I have seen a few protouring cars even with a DSE quad link and dub kit and the car was real nice for about 35K. but you have todo alot of shopping. He did the whole interior for about 2 grand and put in 2006 GTO seats and they looked and felt great in there.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markss28
10k suspension and that would be with a mini tub kit.

4k brakes 13"

10k paint body

10k powertrain (engine and tranny)

5k interior using year one and some after market seats.

4k in wheels and tires

total around 45k but give your self another 5k for a buffer and you would have to do most of it yourself. I will say that I have seen a few protouring cars even with a DSE quad link and dub kit and the car was real nice for about 35K. but you have todo alot of shopping. He did the whole interior for about 2 grand and put in 2006 GTO seats and they looked and felt great in there.
About the only labor you have in those numbers is paint and interior. Add another 20k-30k for someone to build the car at a shop.

Mike
Old 08-30-2007, 01:07 PM

Wow just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the replies, didnt think I was going to get to many. I would rather have the 69 and will kick around the idea but you know how it goes, I always want bigger and better but will do my research to get the best deal, I just want to thank everyone again who replied, Youll be seeing me post and ask alot of questions hopefully you guys wont get annoyed
Old 08-30-2007, 01:19 PM

I understand what you guys are saying that 45 would be enough for a nice car.What about the small stuff you dont figure on,(fuel system,brake lines,etc.).I know its hard to figure everything,but you figure on the big stuff and forget about the small stuff.You never really know how much till its over and you keep up with reciepts.Theres no telling how much money i spent at the local parts store that im not counting.I gave 9 grand for my car 3 years agoand to make a nice car couldnt use a lot of stuff on it,wiring dash,things of that nature.I know i didnt have to buy Marquez door panels,taillights,emblems,or Forgeline wheels(that are awesome by the way Frank).I just wanted something different.I dont think there is anyway i could have sat down before i started and said i am going to spend x amount of dollars on this car.To be different at this website and stand out you have to be prepared to spend some $.I have changed things 2-3times because there are a lot of new stuff coming out everyday.