Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-09-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Our habit and how you support it

I'm roughly at the 30% mark when it comes to the completion of my project. The car was stripped to a bare shell, media blasted and sprayed with PPG. An eight point cage was then added along with all new front and rear suspension components. A transmission tunnel to fit a T56 was added, mini tubs, and a smoothed firewall rounds out the sheet metal work. It also received solid body mounts, sub frame connectors, a new Tanks. Inc. tank, a new front sub frame (DSE) along with a Strange rear end which rounds out my progress up to this point.

I've reached the end of my funds for now so back under the car cover she goes tucked away until I scrounge up another bundle of cash to wrap up the next stage.

There are some pretty impressive builds on this site. Minus the shop build threads; I'm just curious what the other DIY'ers do for a living to support our hobby...or better yet, habit.

I'm a member of a few different types of forums and this is usually a pretty cool topic.

I have a run-of-the-mill nine to five working at a financial firm. The take home pay is alright but nothing earth shattering. I have off every weekend and most bank holidays which leaves plenty of time to play around in my garage. At 30 years old I'm pretty sure I found the women of my dreams; it won't be long until we tie the knot. That's one life-event that I won't least mind delaying the project.

Last edited by 76TA; 04-12-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Well me, personally, I have a different situation from most 9-5'ers. I'm a full time firefighter. Therefore, anyone who knows how our schedule is, we only work every 3rd day, which equates to only 10 days a month. With my vacation, holidays, etc...I may only work approx 7-8 days a month. I'm also a nurse, the remaining 20-23 days of the month I work at an orthopedic surgery center to support my toys. My firefighter salary takes care of the necessary bills, mortgage, etc and 100% of it goes to the family bank account. My wife told me as long as nothing gets cut off (utilities) and the house doesn't go into foreclosure she doesn't care what I do with the nursing salary. I've been a firefighter for 18 years and have achieved the rank of lieutenant, so the salary is nice and is plenty to keep my wife off of my butt. I've been a nurse for 10 years and that salary is nice too with unlimited overtime to be made. The nursing salary affords me to buy car stuff, do other shopping that I want to do and pays for anything fun pretty much. I could've been lots farther along on my project, but I started buying other things like my gun hobby. I've bought a couple of expensive, high powered rifles, etc. I also bought 3 other projects that I don't have listed here in my signature. As if I needed other projects. One was the 72 RS that I had in the for sale section. LOL!!

Last edited by 214Chevy; 04-09-2018 at 11:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 214Chevy For This Useful Post:
WILWAXU (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:24 PM

I'll be retired in a few months so that helps...I have more funds than I had 20 years ago. I also try to keep a balance with family funds, putting two girls through college, and paying the bills, etc...

At first I supported my projects by buying old Ford 9N and 8N tractors and parting them out, only the non-runners. I also buy and sell parts on Craigslist, and I look for good deals for my project's on Craigslist.

I like to barter with folks and trade for what they have or trade up with my stuff and add cash.

I'm usually willing to run something like a 12" rear disc, or a 17" rear wheel for instance and not go with the latest "Pro-Touring" must have.

I try to engineer things on my car like the clutch-arm to master action, instead of paying 3 times as much for the like kind item. It isn't seen but works similar.

Hope that helps...

My 68 Torino
Old 04-09-2018, 08:30 PM

i turn wrenches at one of those stealerships. master tech, 15 years of wrenching. that pays the bills, and when there is extra it goes into the car. but most of the funding for my car lately has come from side work (friends, family, neighbors). and the other supplement is buying "mechanic special" cars and reselling. its not the most lucrative, but it does supplement the toy fund. also like joe said, not having to have the latest and greatest helps. and doing as much as you can yourself.

Last edited by carkrazy1987; 04-09-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:08 PM

I own my own collision shop. I worked my behind off 75-100 hour work weeks . Took jobs in my shop that many shops wouldn't take . Every extra dollar I had left after bills and payroll were taken care of ,I would put in my parts fund . Purchased my car in 2005. Had over 3/4 of my parts purchased by 2010 that's when I started my car. It took another 6 1/2 years to complete. So stay with it work your tale off and you'll get it done.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:36 AM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,343 Posts
Default There’s been a few similar threads on lat-g as many remember...

This Regis Philbin-esque thread from 12/11.

“Millionairs on Lat-G?”

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthre...ght=Occupation

Skip

Last edited by fleetus macmullitz; 04-10-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:46 AM

I am one of those "millennials" although I don't want to ever claim that title.

I was born in 1985. Inherited the gearhead gene from my Father and Grandfather.

Anyways, I put myself through college and got my engineering degree. I work a "9-5" in the Oil and Gas industry. I am an engineer that assist with design, fabrication, installation, and operation of Ultra-Deepwater Oil fields around the globe.

It is a fun industry but the ups and downs can make it pretty stressful. Been involved in the industry since Macondo (Deepwater Horizon) event.

Funny enough, myself, Nine Ball, and Will69Camaro all worked together at one point.

Good times.
1969 Mach 1 Fastback | New Project
Old 04-10-2018, 10:23 PM

I co-own an electrical contracting company along with my brother. We specialize in high-end residential homes. The crazier, the better for me. Today’s ever changing tech is utterly amazing.
I grew up with not very much, so I have a natural drive to bust my tail for what I want/need. I got my first job at 14, bagging groceries at a grocery store, where I walked to work most days, almost 5 miles one way. My dad would pick me up after we closed. I wanted an ATV, and I had to work to get it. What a concept!!! I tell my dad a lot how thankful I am, that he didn’t give me the world on a silver platter.
I do well for myself, these days, and am able to provide for my family, and play with plenty of toys. My 14 year old sons travel baseball keeps us plenty busy lately!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:58 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo mentis View Post
This Regis Philbin-esque thread from 12/11.

“Millionairs on Lat-G?”

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthre...ght=Occupation
Is that the thread that started "Investing 102"?
Old 04-10-2018, 11:14 PM

I barely scrape by and vacation with Weld

Actually I’m a Crew Chief in the HVAC world working on the waterfront in Seattle. Nice livable wage with an ever changing view, no complaints.