Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDoRun View Post
I agree. After reading all the articles on how to DIY, I'll be glad to give DSE my credit card number for this. They do the homework for you.
Can you buy me one too? Sounds like money is no obsticle for ya
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
I wish money was not a factor! It's just that I don't mind paying a little extra for the engineering that goes into some of the products we buy for these cars, this part being one of them. I guess it all boils down to your specific budget.
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2391864

Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19253
Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Thanked 1,269 Times in 480 Posts

LOL...You guys all be sure to send Stielow a check for all the DSE wiper motors you buy..
Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
If anyone has used a standard GM wiper, what have you used as a switch? I'm using this in a '68 Camaro and would like to keep the switch mounted on the dash if possible. (For '69+ you can simply replace the turn signal stalk with one from the Wiper motor donor vehicle)
I have things mocked up with a stepper switch and a breadboard with a handful of various resistors. I'd like to utilize an OEM switch if possible, before I go down the path of trying to cram a small circuit board onto the back of my stepper switch and also cutting the dash to fit this new switch.
I'm having the same problem, Need to source a switch. Anyone have any ideas? I found the wiper motor out of a 01 Caddy DeVille.

Thanks a ton!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:35 PM

Talking

I'm big on the "do it yourself" bit. It's also called "Cheap". I will buy things that I can't make but the wiper motor is one that I was able to tackle. The wiper motor I used came out of a Pontiac Fiero. No particular reason other than it was readily available when I decided to do the modification. I don't think it will fit into the existing hole but it wasn't necessary since I planned on mounting it behind the fender to clean up the firewall.

The trick to making it work was removing the wiper switch from inside the Fiero steering column and mounting it behind the dash. To do this I made a simple bracket that allowed me to combined the 68 wiper housing (gutted) and the Fiero wiper switch. I then removed the plastic from the Fiero wiper switch stalk and took the remaining metal stem and mounted it to the 68 knob using the factory set screw. You'll need to get a copy of the switch/motor wiring diagram to finish it up.

The 68 housing gave me the ability to mount the switch to the factory dash without any modifications and since I used the 68 bezel and knob, you can't tell it's not the factory switch.

If this doesn't help, I hope it at least inspires...
Old 10-08-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
I think some people look at something in a time versus cost way. If you save $100 on something but it takes you 8 hours of labor, how much did you really save? To some they would rather spend that time on something else.

So it comes down to what your time is worth and how much free time you have.

I doesn't mean "money is no obstical" to someone.. it just means they have priorities that might be different from you.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 10-08-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Mc View Post
In true Hot Rodding sense, go to the junk yard, buy the motor (late model Camaro) make a bracket and arm for you application. Now the tricky part, If you are using a late model colunm with the wiper on the stalk, you're almost done. If you need to make a switch for the dash, that's Kyle's secret.
The switch is the hard part.
The wiring diagram for the switch is on the wiper motor diagram. If you find a multiple position switch (seven I think) then get to attatching the correct resistors via the diagram.
I don't want Kyle to hate me, he is super cool, and we had a very helpful conversation late night at Columbus this year...

There is alot to figure out, which is why Kyle charges what he does.
But in the 'I want to do it my self' Hot Rod world, you can figure it out.
And with the internet, you can find help, and the diagrams and ask the right person for help. Don't give up. Hot Rodding is all about trying to make it your self. Spending countless hours on figuring out something is part of the fun, and there is a great deal of pride that goes along with saying "I did it my self".

Everyone is always bitch en about Garage built or shop built
How about 'I made it' vs 'I bought it'.

Jesse James says one of his greatest prides is when someone say 'who made that? or where did you buy that', and he says "I made it". Or as he commonly says 'Hand made'.

Mick
'seek and ye shall receive'
I agree in many cases but I also don't see the need to "reinvent the wheel" so to speek. I could whittle my own wheels or weld up my own valve covers, but I don't have that time.

I need that time to make/work out stuff that nobody sells or offers.

Maybe I just need more time.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 PM

After driving through the torrential downpours in Atlanta -on the way to Run Thru the Hills... I am very happy with every penny I spent on DSE's wiper motor!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2486483
Old 10-09-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
I think some people look at something in a time versus cost way. If you save $100 on something but it takes you 8 hours of labor, how much did you really save? To some they would rather spend that time on something else.

So it comes down to what your time is worth and how much free time you have.

I doesn't mean "money is no obstical" to someone.. it just means they have priorities that might be different from you.
This is true with everyone to some degree or another. Most decisions on whether to buy or build depends on a combination of what you "like" to do, how much "time" you have, and how much "money" you can spend.

Some can can afford to have a car built "turn key" and others barter and beg for parts just to keep their car running. We all fall somewhere in the middle. Personally, with the economy like it is, I have a little more time than extra money so anything that I can make myself helps me put a few bucks away for the wheels and tires that I can't make.

Besides, making custom stuff yourself is COOL!!!