Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM

Default Vintage Air vs Classic Auto Air

Hey guys, I've done a bunch of research, but I'd like your input here.

I'm planning on doing an AC conversion over the winter and it looks like Vintage Air is what the majority of people are running, especially on the "big builds". But when I do a google search, I have found a few threads that say the Vintage Air setup doesn't cool nearly as well as the Classic Auto Air setup. Apparently the condensor size is the big difference. And also that the Vintage Air unit is not serviceable if it breaks.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with both systems. Cooling efficiency, ease of installation, quality of parts, customer service, etc.

I'm looking at the Vintage Air Gen IV Surefit vs the Classic Auto Air Perfect fit for my '67 Camaro with an LS engine. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
Hey guys, I've done a bunch of research, but I'd like your input here.

I'm planning on doing an AC conversion over the winter and it looks like Vintage Air is what the majority of people are running, especially on the "big builds". But when I do a google search, I have found a few threads that say the Vintage Air setup doesn't cool nearly as well as the Classic Auto Air setup. Apparently the condensor size is the big difference. And also that the Vintage Air unit is not serviceable if it breaks.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with both systems. Cooling efficiency, ease of installation, quality of parts, customer service, etc.

I'm looking at the Vintage Air Gen IV Surefit vs the Classic Auto Air Perfect fit for my '67 Camaro with an LS engine. Thanks.
I'm interested in this as well. So far, in my research, I'm leaning towards Classic Auto because they make a controller that fits right into place on the 69 Camaro where VA's uses your original HVAC controls and retrofits to the back of them. Well, mine are broken, so advantage Classic. I've also read what you are saying about the condenser and serviceability.

Subscribed for more info.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread
Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM

FYI Vintage Air makes a stock looking controller for the 67-68 Gen IV systems. You can retrofit your controller as was stated as well.

Tim
Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 PM

I have heard the serviceability mentioned before. In 15 years of selling, installing, and servicing VintageAir products I have seen exactly zero instances where I needed to take the case apart and service it.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I had Classic Auto Air in my El Camino. It worked well, it was ran by a ECU. I got the early production of it and it gave me some issues at first. I will say that I spoke with Gary a bunch and got things worked out and they were willing to work with me over the phone and help any way they could. I had the streetrod elite series since I smoothed out the firewall etc. My aplication was pretty custom and may have had less issues if I used the complete kit. (who knew trying to save a couple bucks would cost me more in the end? LOL) I think the Vintage system maybe a little more ironed out and streamlined. I will find out soon since I have a vintage system going into my Chevelle.

Chris
70 Chevelle. Roadster Shop Chassis, The shop llc/ Jon Lind interior LS3/6speed. Thanks to Precision Classics and Collision Eugene, Or. http://precision-classics.com/
Build thread:https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39517
Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Kid View Post
FYI Vintage Air makes a stock looking controller for the 67-68 Gen IV systems. You can retrofit your controller as was stated as well.

Tim
I did see that in my research. I do like the idea of keeping the stock controls, modified with the electronic servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
I have heard the serviceability mentioned before. In 15 years of selling, installing, and servicing VintageAir products I have seen exactly zero instances where I needed to take the case apart and service it.
That's great to hear. Any complaints on the output of cold air on these units?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech921 View Post
I had Classic Auto Air in my El Camino. It worked well, it was ran by a ECU. I got the early production of it and it gave me some issues at first. I will say that I spoke with Gary a bunch and got things worked out and they were willing to work with me over the phone and help any way they could. I had the streetrod elite series since I smoothed out the firewall etc. My aplication was pretty custom and may have had less issues if I used the complete kit. (who knew trying to save a couple bucks would cost me more in the end? LOL) I think the Vintage system maybe a little more ironed out and streamlined. I will find out soon since I have a vintage system going into my Chevelle.
Yeah, trying to save money usually has the opposite effect.

I'm probably 2 months out on installing AC. If you're up and running by then, please post your feedback here.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:41 PM

I had a VA unit in my truck and I was very pleased with it. I'm going with VA for my current project.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
That's great to hear. Any complaints on the output of cold air on these units?
Nope.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:29 AM

Another option
Restomod air , just got it. Not installed but quality seems top notch and fully serviceable.