Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Banned

I've installed 3 painless wiring kits and never had any problems. I've never used an AAW so I can't comment on theirs. One thing that painless has going for them and I'm not sure if AAW offers this, is that Painless makes a really killer fuse block, it mounts right where the old one went, has an integrated horn relay and uses the new Mini blade fuses.

Almost every other wire kit manufacturer uses a generic fuse block board that you have to unconvienantly mount somwhere under the dash, and then you have to fill in the stock hole in the firewall. This also means that you have to route all of your engine bay wires thourgh a hole/grommet in the firewall. So you can not disconnect the engine harness at the firewall anymore, which to me sucks. If AAW offers a bolt in fuse block then I see no reason not go with their systems.

I have had no problems with painless whatsoever, they have great tech people too.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:28 PM

I have a Painless in my car, but have other AAW products. Let's put it this way, I should have had everything from AAW. I didn't know till it was too late. Also the customer service which is key, is one of the best things AAW does. They are so good that I consider Theresa from AAW a friend. That's how they make you feel. You cannot beat that.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

so what was wrong with the painless?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:14 PM

Do the AAW kits have a provision for integration to LSx?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlife
so what was wrong with the painless?

I had a problem with two of their generic 18 circut kits. A connector wasn't up to the job they were using it for. I don't know if they still use this connector or if it is in any of their other kits. Other than that, I had no problems.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
Old 10-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True
Do the AAW kits have a provision for integration to LSx?
Yes.

The kits have spare circuits for battery & ignition. Fuel injection systems are stand alone systems that require interface for battery, ignition and grounds. On our Highway 22 panel there is a direct connection labeled EFI battery and EFI ground - on all the other kits you would use an extra circuit or a spare circuit generically labeled for battery or ignition.

Last edited by AAW; 10-05-2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-05-2006, 09:58 AM

Default Aaw

I used the AAW classic update kit in my 67 Camaro. I was very happy with the quality and completeness of the kit. One thing they don't tell you up front is that you need a MetriPak crimper to make the correct "butterfly" crimps. That was another +$100 including shipping. Then when you get around to connecting the alternator output wire and dash power (larger gauge wire) you'll need another crimper at +$100. I was not happy about this. Maybe their other product ... original style harness doesn't require this?
Also, if you have aftermarket guages, the "instrument kit" that comes with the classic update kit is not much use. I ended up using auto parts store style "crush crimp" ring connectors. I'm sure they sell butterfly style ring terminals and shrink tubing ... again another shipment. On the plus side, they were very helpful with their tech support. One more thing. I've only done this once, but it seems that there will always be at least one place where you need igition switched power. The fuse box has several places to get this power, so why not supply a few of those terminals/connectors that plug into the fuse box.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned

still interested to find out if AAW supplies an updated stock replacement fuse block? That is the deal breaker for me. I hate those stupid hot rod put anywhere universal fuse blocks that don't allow for a clean removal of the engine harness from the under dash harness
Old 10-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlife
still interested to find out if AAW supplies an updated stock replacement fuse block?
Our Classic Update harness includes an updated replacement fuse block,
with a bulkhead disconnect for engine and front light harnesses - just
like the original.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

pic? sounds good, how much does the classic update kit cost for say a first gen camaro?