Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 PM

to answer the question..... NO i wouldnt have another "driver" with a cage.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:49 PM

Good topic and something I've been struggling over myself. Add to the discussion that I have a convertible. Are we only talking about a full cage vs a 6 pt roll bar w/removable door bars?

With a full cage the driver does have bars above, infront, behind etc, but for a 6 pt roll bar w/the door bars removed for street driving, and a the 5 pt harness on, I can't see how there would be anymore risk of injury/death for the front seat passengers in a convertible. Kind of a catch 22 here. If I have no roll bar of any kind and an accident causes a rollover, I'll probably be pancaked...w/it I may live but if my head hits the main hoop in the rollover I could die due to head injury....maybe the 5 pt harness would prevent my head from hitting?

Then I have the backseat issue. So the crossbar behind the seat can't be removable (to pass tech) and then there's the rear down bars. So if I have rear seat passengers, assuming they want to deal with climbing under or over the bars to get in (or put the conv top down and "Duke Boy" it in over the side), then they have a bar infront of them, to the side, and one above. What about a 5pt harness for the riders in the back seat? I guess that and padding are my only options. For those who forgo the rollbar running 12s or faster at the track, what do you do? W/my convertible I can't go faster then 13.49...

1971 Olds 442 Convertible & 1970 Cutlass Supreme

Last edited by 71OLDS; 03-04-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 AM

I run a 6 point in my Nova. I originally wanted removable door bars and removable rear cross bar but the fabricator recomended that I not use pin in bars. He said in a side colision on the street the pins could snap and the swinging side bar could rip you in half. Also he said the car is noticably stiffer with a welded in cross bar. I feel safe on the street with my car. 5 point harness, no halo bar, racing seats with a tall head rest. One other point that is important to bring up is make sure your harness, and seats are anchored to the floor corectly.

Last edited by 71Nova; 03-13-2007 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:04 PM

Wow. Great Topic. I too was going to have a cage put it my street car. Removable Sides and Cross Bar. I realize this probably will not meet NHRA standards as a valid cage but it will get me on the local track (me hopes). The bars would be removed for street driving and the cage will be as close to the pillars and ceiling as possible. The goal here is to stiffen the car up a little and provide some type of rollover protection at the track.

This post does have me re-thinking the entire thing though. I am only going to have 500 - 600 HP. Production cars are putting up numbers close to this and there is no cages there. Hmmmmm.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:24 PM

DocDave I am really happy that I got mine. I noticed the increase in stiffness the first time I went over rail road tracks. Felt much more solid and smoother. Just make sure that the guy that puts it in knows what he is doing. The chassis fabricator that I went to told me stories about how some shops in so Cal have made the roll cages out of exhaust tubing to rip off the buyer.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:04 PM

what about Joe Rogans Cuda it has something in it would something like that be safe
Old 07-22-2007, 08:07 AM

you can i have and do right now the bars could hurt or kill you in a wreck but how many people die a year in a normal car at 35mph. i rather die in a 68 mustang then a prius.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:56 AM

I also wrangled with the idea of putting a roll cage in my car. I heard the many pros and cons of doing this but I finally decided to do it. What I did was to incorporate the bars into the actual structure of the car so that it would afford me the added strength and stiffness I was looking for without making the bars any more of a danger than stock. Of course there are some compromises as you can't really incorporate the main hoop into the structure but the A and C pillars can be!

John
Old 07-22-2007, 12:06 PM

Novanutcase
Do you have any pix of the rollcage you are integrating into the body of the car ??

I really want a cage in my car and was considering doing something similar to kind of "hide" the cage and keep it away from flying arms/heads in the event of an accideint
Old 07-26-2007, 06:22 PM

I have a 6-point roll bar in my 72 nova daily driver and my brother has a cage in his 72 nova daily driver as well. Personally I dont really use my back seat and feel much better driving around town knowing there is some protection around me. As for my bro, his cage makes it a little harder to get into his car, but he feals the same way as i do about sacrificing some comfort for safety.