Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 03-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

A pro interior can cost upwards of $30k Its time and materials. and depends on how trick it gets.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
Incredible craftsmanship!

Seems like a lot of hinting at and open ended comments about what it costs to have a pro level interior done. Obviously, every job is different. Some hardly noticed details could probably double the man hours... but what kind of man hours does it take to do a "from nothing" pro interior?
I don't think the average gear head has any idea the time (and serious talent) it takes to produce whats in these pictures.

Jeff-
I think the "average" gearhead does know, somewhat. Rather it be someone who has built cars to a more or lesser extent or someone who just looks at TV shows and has been to local/national car shows. Now the non-average gearhead doesn't. Let me tell a little story that's not related to interior, but in relationship to how a non-average gearhead thinks. (short story) I was at a gas station about 3 years ago in my Chevelle and a guy rides up and offers me $6k for it. Mind you, I had Baer brakes all the way around, done a frame-off resto, a taken-to-bare metal paint job, custom stereo and interior (not Recovery Room quality though), Ididit column, Hotchkis suspension, etc. I then laughed at him and I think it kind of pissed him off though because I think he took it as I thought I was better than him. But, to me, $6k was an insult. That, to me in a nutshell, is an example of a non-average gearhead. Now, many of us, would have known way better than to offer a guy so little for a car that looks like that. Now, I'm not proposing that my car is worth $50k either, but come on fellers. You feel me right?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509Chevelle View Post
a guy rides up and offers me $6k for it.
Your wheels are probably worth that much
Old 03-10-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509Chevelle View Post
a guy rides up and offers me $6k for it.
My dad had a guy do something similar once concerning his '56 BelAir convertible. His reply was "how do you intend to finance the rest?

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 PM

It happens to me all the time. Well, that and being told that their buddy's Honda is probably way faster. Might be, but it's still a Honda....

Biggest mistake my dad ever made was getting an original copy of the window sticker for his 69 GTO Judge. At every show he went to he had guys offering him $3,795.23. Hyuck Hyuck Hyuck.

This is why I hate stationary car shows...
Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

RecoveryRoomInteriors.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28ss View Post
A pro interior can cost upwards of $30k Its time and materials. and depends on how trick it gets.
I work on a time and material basis,My shop rate is 55.00 hour per person.We use above average materials because they work and look good.Most of are complete interiors can run between 13k to 20k,And yes it depends on the materials and the amount of work that an owner wants us to do.If we install and buy the stereo this adds to the price,Dynamat adds to the price,Making a dash will add alot to the price.The orange Chevelle needed a Dash,Seats,Custom made back seat,billet parts,Stereo,and a cloth top.If you look at it this way, If we were only 15% to 20% of the total build cost.Not a bad return on your money for the amount of area or work done to the car.Every once in awhile it gets expensive depending on the amount of work and parts we have to get.I have never had one go to 30k,Even on the Rad Rides cars we have worked on.I have done cars that were around 25k several times.Bottom line is that the more you want the more time it takes to make it work and fit the car.

Last edited by RECOVERY ROOM; 03-10-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOVERY ROOM View Post
I work on a time and material basis,My shop rate is 55.00 hour per person.We use above average materials because they work and look good.Most of are complete interiors can run between 13k to 20k,And yes it depends on the materials and the amount of work that an owner wants us to do.If we install and buy the stereo this adds to the price,Dynamat adds to the price,Making a dash will add alot to the price.The orange Chevelle needed a Dash,Seats,Custom made back seat,billet parts,Stereo,and a cloth top.If you look at it this way, If we were only 15% to 20% of the total build cost.Not a bad return on your money for the amount of area or work done to the car.Every once in awhile it gets expensive depending on the amount of work and parts we have to get.I have never had one go to 30k,Even on the Rad Rides cars we have worked on.I have done cars that were around 25k several times.Bottom line is that the more you want the more time it takes to make it work and fit the car.

Great information Tracy. The other thing to put it in perspective is just open a Year One Catalog. Start with an empty shell 69 Camaro and price a Repop interior from that catalog. I think most folks would be surprised. And that is nothing custom, just order and install.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 03-10-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECOVERY ROOM View Post
YEA........... But honestly, what do you know
Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Supporting Vendor

RecoveryRoomInteriors.com

It depends on who you ask
Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM

HAHAAHA i hear YA!!!