Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 05-02-2013, 07:08 AM

Default Updated wiring kit for Smooth fire wall

Looking for insight as to which kit I should use. I have a 70 Buick Skylark with painted fire wall and I want to hide as much of the wiring as possible in the engine bay. Can I use a AAW classic update kit from a Chevelle or i was thinking maybe the Monte Carlo kit because the wires would be longer.

How do most do it when trying to hide wire? Do they cut the harness and splice in new sections or is tere a kit that has this covered?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvrdun View Post
Looking for insight as to which kit I should use. I have a 70 Buick Skylark with painted fire wall and I want to hide as much of the wiring as possible in the engine bay. Can I use a AAW classic update kit from a Chevelle or i was thinking maybe the Monte Carlo kit because the wires would be longer.

How do most do it when trying to hide wire? Do they cut the harness and splice in new sections or is tere a kit that has this covered?

Thanks
my AAW kit the wires were all @ least a few feet longer then i needed...
for me i run all the wires on the inside an use bluk connectors on the isde for a nice clean look.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Although the AAW classic update kits has longer wires for running under fenders, terminating as needed etc, the placement for the fuse box is designed for the stock location. The Highway kits are made for custom installs and fuse box relo, IIRC. This doesn't mean classic updates won't work, but give 'em a call just to be sure.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM

If you not using the factory firewall hole, I would use the highway 22 kit from aaw. the down side to that is you will need to reuse some of your vehicle specific connectors but ut us the easiest way to insall the panel.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM

I am using the AAW Classic Update kit on my Firebird, and I'm working to hide as much as I can. To do that, I removed all of the engine-side wides from the main bulkhead, so it is only used to pass wires through to the headlights/horn/parking lights at this point.

There are other points where I'm coming through the firewall. I have 2 big grommets in the top of the trans tunnel which pass through the wiring for the gauges and the ECU. Then Eric installed 2 electrical bulkheads which are wired with heavy cable back to the battery. These were very handy as places to attach the inside power wiring as well as the starter power. The charge wire from the alternator is also attached to this bulkhead so that it doesn't have to run through the firewall.

The DSE wiper harness passes through a small grommet right under the wiper motor, so those wires are hidden also. And finally, the fan and AC switch wires are passing through the passenger side through a small grommet, under the heater and AC connections, so you don't really see those either.

That's about as hidden as I can make it. The bulkhead is still there, but with the brake booster and clutch MC, you don't really see it. Especially with so few wires coming out of it now..

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Great feed back guys, I appreciate all the pointers. I did not smooth where the original harness goes as I was going to use that army mounting point but now I might change that strategy.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 PM

I used Ron Francis and ran it behind the fender.Engine wiring ran through a hole in the tranny tunnel. Had plenty of wire left over.

1971 Firebird - Speedtech Extreme Subframe/Torque Arm, LS3/4L80E, 19x12/18x10 Budniks