Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 AM

Default One of my favorite

cars of all times. Would love to see more detailed photos of frame and suspension. What transaxle are you running again?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Regular User

Good to see the car rolling again!
I wish we had a bigger track around here, the small course at Waterford just isn't enough to get up to speed

Mark

Old 11-24-2010, 11:36 AM

thanks Payton - that is a huge compliment I have a Mendeola S4 sequential transaxle with a custom ring and pinion. Those boxes are typically used for off road applications (I am only the second guy to use it for a road race car, the other guy is in Europe) so the in-stock R&Ps tend to be really low for 35"+ tall tires v. a short little Porsche tire (23.5"). I think I have the shifter stops a little out of adjustment (this is only the 3rd track day with the new box) so I missed the downshift to 2nd a couple times in the vid you might notice. I missed 2nd last track day too and figured I just need to get used to it but then I thought about the shifter stops the other day.

Mark - I hear you about track size. To be honest, the tracks here seem small to me coming from SoCal where I had access to Buttonwillow and especially Willow Springs (WSIR). I would hit 160 mph in the straight at WSIR having about 100 more HP at the lower altitude and a faster turn at entry and exit. Here I hit around 130-135mph depending on how well I get the turn into the straight. I specifically geared the new tranny down since both tracks here have about the same top speed for me (the other ~ 140 at end of straight).

edit - a few folks on the Porsche forums are asking for details on the susp, etc as well, so I hope to get some video footage of the car over the winter here while I tear into it and give everything the annual inspection, change the fluids, etc.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:26 AM

Default great

Looking forward to the updates and pics.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton King View Post
Looking forward to the updates and pics.
+1 or more......
Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 AM

I've been considering doing a 928 ls swap if I can find some money!

Last edited by tellyv; 12-20-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:49 PM

yeah, those 928 swaps are pretty cool, with the rear transaxle it's a bit like a Vette in a Porsche body.

as for the pix/vid I have to admit the weather is really holding up well here in Denver this winter so I haven't torn into the car at all, in fact, did some more setup work and have it ready to hit the track if a nice day happens to line up with the test and tune days. We have had 60deg days each week but the track days end up being in the 30s, so I have been hoping for those to line up.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM

Took the car out to the track on 12/28/10 - there had been no snow until this last week tho' it was cold (49 deg). Max tire temps were about 120 deg on the fronts and 140 deg on the rears, so grip was minimized but I ended up turning one lap of 1:59.9 - fastest lap yet and only 1/2 second off the SCCA Super Production record at that track.

The guy with the record was there that day taking tire temps and helping me out He said he has already picked up 2 seconds on his tho' since the record set, we'll see. He has a V8 914 as well with a 650HP all aluminum 400 SBC (brodix block, dart heads, big solid roller cam).

Anyway, now that it snowed I got the car apart to redo the wheel bearings front and rear so here are shots of the suspension as promised. The rears I had the uprights out so I could press the bearings out, I will try to remember to put some shots of them reinstalled here in the next week (new bearings in transit)

The next to the last shot of just the rear hubs shows the spacer that Jim Patrick (Patrick Motorsports) makes to run late model Carrera hubs with a stock 914 bearing. There is one that goes on the stub axle as well when it is all bolted together.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Default That is some cool stuff right there!

Did you have to move the seating forward to get the V8 in there?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM

not really. having a tube chassis I moved the engine forward a couple inches and did a custom firewall, so the seat is basically exactly where it used to be because I gained the engine clearance with a custom firewall. Guys put SBCs in 914s all the time with no cutting, but I wanted to move the engine as far forward as possible for better weight distribution. I am 57.5% rear weight now vs. almost 59% before.h