Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Default questions about aeromotive a-1000 pump lines

Fella's- I'm starting to plumb my fuel system in my 67 Camaro. I'm using the A-1000 pump, aeromotive filter, and return style regulator on a carb'ed system. I am also using my stock gas tank with a RobbMc 1/2 inch pickup. I know the a-1000 is supposed to be run with -10 lines on the feed side and -8 on the return. Will there be any real problem running -8 on both sides, as this is the size of the pick up tube in the tank? I can go with -10 once off the pick up, but will it (the pick up tube itself) be a restricion? Thanks for any help. Jason
Old 02-16-2010, 03:06 PM

That short of a pickup tube should be fine in 8an.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:17 PM

It depends on the volume of fuel you are going to need. It will be a restriction. When in doubt, call the manufacturer.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 PM

Going too small on the pump inlet will cause cavitation which will ruin the pump very quickly.

Aeromotive recommends a -10 inlet for a reason... use 5/8" minimum ID (-10) tubing or hose between the pump inlet and the fuel supply.

Reducing to -8 on the outlet is fine.

Last edited by Blown353; 02-16-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I'm going to "ASSume" you're running an external pump... these pumps usually require a "flooded head" -- meaning that the fuel needs to be flowing to the pump - since they do not "suck" fuel - they only push it...

So you're asking this pump to draw fuel UP the internal pickup in the tank?

If that's the case -- I would really check that installation with Aeromotive.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM

I went to Aeromotive and copied this off their instructions for your A1000 pump.

Two things should jump out at you -- that they really don't recommend the use of a fuel pick up tube - telling you that this will cause problems - and wear out the pump quicker etc.

Mount pump level or lower and as close to the bottom of the tank as possible. If you are using a stock fuel tank, install a reservoir sump in the bottom-rear of your fuel tank. Exercise extreme caution and follow all manufacturers’
recommendations when installing a reservoir sump. (Sump part # 15650)
• Tank/Fuel cell must have at least a 1⁄2” tank vent.
If you choose not to install a reservoir sump, then you must install a high flow capacity fuel tank pickup (1/2” to 5/8” inner tube diameter). (Installing pickup instead of a reservoir sump may shorten the fuel pump life and cause drivability problems. When using a pickup, you should maintain at least 1⁄2 tank of fuel in the vehicle at all times, to avoid possible engine &/or fuel pump damage.)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 PM

Weldon pumps can be used with a pickup tube setup. They can be mounted above the tank.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 PM

Well I did mount the pump lower than the bottom of the pickup point so it should gravity feed ok I think. I guess I was more worried about the pump over heating as fuel is used to cool the pump. I am not concerned about fuel volume for the motor as this pump is way overkill for my needs, but if it cant get enough volume to cool pulling through a 1/2 pickup, no bueno..... Jason
Old 02-16-2010, 11:15 PM

I have to ask why you went with that monster pump if you only have an 8an feed line? How much horsepower do you have? You may be better off with a Mallory 140 or similar pump.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 PM

Todd --

Remember the whole fuel pump discussion we had at SEMA.... and the "over worked - over heated" too large of a fuel pump...

I didn't want to throw that out at this thread - because I'm not knowledgeable enough about it. But, I would think this is a pump that is FAR too large for the application (this pump goes for 1000 HP cars!)...

Our discussion there, with Charley, Frank, and Mark was Fuel injected applications -- and Jason is running a carb so I would think that there is less work being performed with FAR lower pressures used in a carb app... So maybe they don't work nearly as hard - to make 6 or 7 lbs of pressure vs the 40 or 50 lbs in high horse EFI motors...

JASON -- you'd actually be surprised at how "little" the EFI pumps in factory applications are. Granted they're "in tank" pumps - flooded head etc - but they're really not very large - and they're making way more pressure than what you're going to need. Are you sure you want to use this pump?