Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 07-11-2012, 05:37 PM

I couldn't wait till dinner for my first attempt at grilling salmon. I picked up a 6 oz Atlantic Salmon. I double layered and walled the foil, lubed the foil up with some extra virgin olive oil, took a teaspoon of Old Bay lemon and herb seasoning and mixed it with a tablespoon of olive oil and then basted the salmon. I couldn't get the grill below 450 and grilled it for 15 minutes on the top rack. Side dish is cut up mango. man was it delicious!!

Old 07-11-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
As a two pack a day smoker -- I quit "cold turkey" one day when I discovered I had opened a pack of smokes on the way into the bar - and needed to open another one about 4 hours later. As I was opening it - I'm hacking and coughing up nasty azz "stuff".... I looked at the pack and said -- AM I NUTS OR WHAT? I never had another cigarette.

The key -- it's WAR -- And I'm not letting some stupid little thing kick my ass - no sir - ain't happening'. I'm winning and that's that.
The word "Decision", is to decide...It is cutting off all other options..

You just decide you are going to stop and you are going to win...

I have been through smoking, drinking, and drugs...It has been 30 years since cigarettes, and 10 years for drugs. Yes, I was a DAMN FOOL.

You just decide that you have had enough.. I finally had enough...I was a fool, but never again..

At 30 I was at the peak of health...After a bitter divorce , I turned to bad things that I won't mention.

Now, I am very clean and sober..I just need more exercise, and to get my diet in order. I am on this thread to be accountable for my actions.

I changed my life and anyone can...We just have to decide and cut off all other options...

Soon to be crazy
Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
As a two pack a day smoker -- I quit "cold turkey" one day when I discovered I had opened a pack of smokes on the way into the bar - and needed to open another one about 4 hours later. As I was opening it - I'm hacking and coughing up nasty azz "stuff".... I looked at the pack and said -- AM I NUTS OR WHAT? I never had another cigarette.

The key -- it's WAR -- And I'm not letting some stupid little thing kick my ass - no sir - ain't happening'. I'm winning and that's that.
Your an animal Greg. Cold turkey isn't going to happen here but I currently feel I have a hold of the situation.

Thanks for the support
Old 07-11-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
great advice, if it has a list of ingredients with more than one ingredient, don't eat it

every day you can build health or disease...
I like the way you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Junky View Post
I couldn't wait till dinner for my first attempt at grilling salmon. I picked up a 6 oz Atlantic Salmon. I double layered and walled the foil, lubed the foil up with some extra virgin olive oil, took a teaspoon of Old Bay lemon and herb seasoning and mixed it with a tablespoon of olive oil and then basted the salmon. I couldn't get the grill below 450 and grilled it for 15 minutes on the top rack. Side dish is cut up mango. man was it delicious!!

That looks GOOOOOD. Just make sure you aren't buying the farm stuff even if it says Atlantic. WILD and we have determined from Alaska is the best source.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Junky View Post
Your an animal Greg. Cold turkey isn't going to happen here but I currently feel I have a hold of the situation.

Thanks for the support
One of the topics in the Compound Effect book is the process of ridding yourself of your bad habits. Some of us are wired to stop things cold turkey, while others need a gradual slide. It can depend on the habit as well.

For instance, I've tried to quit drinking cold turkey. Didn't work at that time. Now I drink only on Friday/Saturday nights in moderation.(A few) I think I could quit cold turkey now.

When I quit chewing, I quit cold turkey. I had a hot sugar momma that motivated me.

Which leads me down my next road. You need a reason WHY to quit a bad habit or obtain a goal. My motivation to go down this thread road had multiple why's. I wanted more energy, a physique from my past, a more successful business, and better relationships. That's all....
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM

I can't believe what I'm reading, you guys are all crazy. In a good way of course. I joined this forum thinking it was cars this & cars that, never would I have thought I'd be able to watch my health and get investment tips to better my life. I've been on plenty of forums and eventually just either lost interest or got burnt out on the content and some of the dummies behind the content. I check this place religiously, first for the investment thread, now the health thread & if theres still some time left I will check out the automotive side of things.

When I come here, I feel as if I'm hanging out with my brothers, or I'm visiting family when I read some of your posts. I have never met a lot of you but I have been in the presence of quite a few of you at various events. I'm really shy and quiet which would explain why I have yet to walk up and introduce myself. I just want to thank you all for starting threads like this and for making Lat-g such an outstanding forum to be on.

Three years ago I quit drinking cold turkey, just decided I had enough. Now I'm at the point where I am focusing on my weight and health. Turning 35 at the end of this month has made me realize how fast time flies and I don't want to end up with crippling health issues as I get older. I've had my fair share of hospital visits whether I wanted to go or not. So any advice/tips I can pick up from some of you to aid in my quest for better health I look forward to reading about here.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Hats off to you sir!! As I stated, I quit drugs cold turkey many years ago and never looked back. As far as cigarettes, I am up to a pack and a half - 2 packs a day right now. I have tried quiting many times over the years but it just draws me back

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intocarss View Post
Hats off to you sir!! As I stated, I quit drugs cold turkey many years ago and never looked back. As far as cigarettes, I am up to a pack and a half - 2 packs a day right now. I have tried quiting many times over the years but it just draws me back
Man I wish you well..That is just too many cigarettes.

You sound like a great guy, and we do not want to lose you..

You quit drugs, you can do this..

I quit meth 10 years ago, cold turkey...Never to look back...

How can we help you quit smoking ? Any Ideas guys ???

Can you try to put each cigarette off for a while so you get down to 20 a day. Then 15 a day.. Then 10 a day.

That is how I quit smoking, and by the time i got down to less than 5 a day, I started hating the taste and the smell. I had to go slow stopping smoking, but meth was one day, cold turkey..

Nicotine is a mean drug..

Soon to be crazy
Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM

My sister-in-law is a Professor at the University of Southern California. She has her PhD in something I can’t pronounce, but her specialty is designing the drugs and delivery systems for the control of diabetes. She's a happy bubbly gal, and you would not know how hilariously smart she is until one starts to notice the technical books she reads. I can't pronounce them either. Todd mentions surrounding yourself with good people.......

We got on the subject of weight loss and sugars at a family gathering last year. In her educated opinion, as well as every Doctor out there, being overweight, having a poor diet, and not exercising is the onset to other severe health problems (like diabetes). Duh.

Sugar substitutes were another topic. I've never been wild about them, but in the quest to keep calories/sugars down during the diet war, I asked her opinion. Sugar substitutes are out for kids, but some are better than others for adults. Unlike others, according to her Splenda is the best one out there since it is not absorbed by the body. I have a sweet tooth, so it was nice to hear that there was something to help fill that void. It's not the same as the real deal, but I'm now used to it and only need it in the occasional coffee. Even grapefruit is sans sweetener now.

Off topic. The delivery systems conversation was great. The most effective way for an oral drug to work is to be able to deliver it to the organ in question in the form as it was made in the factory. That does not happen in the body since it's a chemical soup and hence changes the drug chemically before it reaches the target. Imagine wrapping the drug in a closely woven spherical net containing the drug, but does not allow bodily fluids to pass through. The net maintains shape until it reaches the intended organ. That organ emits a unique chemical that makes the net expand, making the spacing between the net lacings larger, hence allowing the virgin drug to be delivered. Wow. How cool is that?

Last edited by CarlC; 07-11-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
....You need a reason WHY to quit a bad habit or obtain a goal....

Very true. Abt 10 mos ago I realized, upon thinking about how old I will be when my kids (now 2.5 and 6) are in their most "challenging" years, and decided that I had better change my ways (diet and exercise), pronto, if I am going to be around for them AND be able to keep up with them. And now that I am seeing results it is even more motivation to keep at it.

As Greg said of smoking, it's WAR.

Project update thread here:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12743

My Lateral-G Page

My Shop Build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310