Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Vitamin D

I found this very interesting. I'm currently working with a Doctor and his Wife. We have discussed health and nutriton many times throughout our relationship, naturally. He said, that a huge majority (Over 70%) have a Vitamin D deficiency. Now, we live in the desert and enjoy 300 days of blue skies and sunshine. It doesn't make much sense at first.

I got to thinking about it and humans started out life with no clothes, we used to be forced into manual labor, OUTSIDE. Now, a majority of the public spends most of their time indoors pushing buttons. I spend more time outdoors than average but he said it wasn't enough. He said, unless you are spending 20-30 minutes MID day outside with your shirt off, you are not getting enough vitamin D. He said the atmospher eats up the UV rays early and late in the days that help create vitamin D in your body.

I've been impressed with his ideals on health so I sent Kelli to him to get a physical and blood test. Sure enough, her blood test came back with her being deficient in vitamin D. She's very light skinned but, the darker you skin is, the harder it is to absorb the sun and make vitamin D.

Vitamin D is just as crucial as calcium to having strong bones. It also helps with memory and concentration. Has digestive duties and the list goes on.

I asked him if I should get blood tested and he said not to bother. Just start taking a Vitamin D supplement of 5000mg a day.

I plan to get re blood tested in a few months and will make sure Vitamin D is part of the test after I have supplemented.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Tony, margerine can be full of trans fats due to the hydrogenation that turns the vegetable oil into a solid. It changes the molecules. That's how trans fats are made. My Harvard book said the same thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

I'm not worried about the weight gain. I struggle keeping the weight on at this point. Now at over 6 months of consistency in my diet and excercise, my metabolism is off the charts. My pallet has changed. I grew up in Iowa so naturally, the midwestern diet was in my blood. Today, I really prefer Salmon and a really good salad(7-10 veggies) over a steak and baked potato. Polish dinner off with a papaya and some blueberries.

That being said, I still crave a hamburger or steak. With my B12 deficiency, it's important for a balanced diet anyway. Since B12 is stored for 2-5 years in the liver, I can't blame my recent nutrition since I've always ate plenty of red meat.
I know it has transfats, I'm saying that is what causes the heart disease, not butter.

As for B12, find a farm where you can buy free range organic eggs.. they'll have a hugh golden yolk vs the tiny yellow yolks for store bought eggs... I love me some eggs.. best food ever.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Vitamin D

I found this very interesting. I'm currently working with a Doctor and his Wife. We have discussed health and nutriton many times throughout our relationship, naturally. He said, that a huge majority (Over 70%) have a Vitamin D deficiency. Now, we live in the desert and enjoy 300 days of blue skies and sunshine. It doesn't make much sense at first.

I got to thinking about it and humans started out life with no clothes, we used to be forced into manual labor, OUTSIDE. Now, a majority of the public spends most of their time indoors pushing buttons. I spend more time outdoors than average but he said it wasn't enough. He said, unless you are spending 20-30 minutes MID day outside with your shirt off, you are not getting enough vitamin D. He said the atmospher eats up the UV rays early and late in the days that help create vitamin D in your body.

I've been impressed with his ideals on health so I sent Kelli to him to get a physical and blood test. Sure enough, her blood test came back with her being deficient in vitamin D. She's very light skinned but, the darker you skin is, the harder it is to absorb the sun and make vitamin D.

Vitamin D is just as crucial as calcium to having strong bones. It also helps with memory and concentration. Has digestive duties and the list goes on.

I asked him if I should get blood tested and he said not to bother. Just start taking a Vitamin D supplement of 5000mg a day.

I plan to get re blood tested in a few months and will make sure Vitamin D is part of the test after I have supplemented.
I have read that Vit D supplements on the market aren't good at all. The best way to get it is through a cod liver oil. I take these in capsule form:

http://www.greenpasture.org/public/P...lend/index.cfm
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
I have read that Vit D supplements on the market aren't good at all. The best way to get it is through a cod liver oil. I take these in capsule form:

http://www.greenpasture.org/public/P...lend/index.cfm
I don't find any information to substantiate that claim. Not trying to dissuade using cod liver oil but to encourage taking a vitamin D3 supplement of some sort.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvervet View Post
I don't find any information to substantiate that claim. Not trying to dissuade using cod liver oil but to encourage taking a vitamin D3 supplement of some sort.
Here's a link to a blog I read it on..
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...iency-disease/
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
Here's a link to a blog I read it on..
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...iency-disease/
From groups with no horse in the race
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vit...SECTION=dosing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18689390
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23314982

I understand skepticism..because I have it also.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 AM

"Learn to work harder on yourself than you do on your job" -Jim Rohn

While this philosophy may sound like pie in the sky to the casual onlooker, it's made a huge difference in the quality of my life. For the last 7 months I've spent 30-60 minutes everyday expanding my knowledge through books, magazines, CD's. Philosophy, Leadership, Health, Excercise, Nutrition, Attitude, and the list goes on.... I've employed new disciplines with a complete diet change and work out routine.

I'm in the best physical and mental condition of my life and people are noticing. The owner/broker of my company recently offered me a very good opportunity that came from the top to lead 4 more agents and increase my income substantially. He had 75 agents to pick from. In the same week, an outside company called and offered me a great opportunity to take on a bunch of new business. My team has taken notice and our cohesion has gone through the roof. They see my consistency, attitude, and work ethic and it's rubbing off and improving their production, attitude, and work ethic.

"You attract the things you have by the person you become" -Jim Rohn

If you want a better life, you must change through personal development. Every discipline effects the rest of your life. Every bad habit effects the rest of your life. New knowledge breeds confidence, new disciplines practiced everyday improve your attitude.

It doesn't happen overnight. It's really the compound effect at work. It's just like compound interest. At first you notice small improvements and depending on your hard your work at it, it won't be long until the results speak for themself.

"We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons. " -Jim Rohn
Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 PM

One mile run tonight: 6:30
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Great Todd, I'm proud of you big boy. I've been working out for 7 years now, nothing crazy, every other day. It really makes a difference physically and even more mentally.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Adams View Post
Great Todd, I'm proud of you big boy. I've been working out for 7 years now, nothing crazy, every other day. It really makes a difference physically and even more mentally.
Thanks buddy. It's good to hear you are taking care of yourself.

The mental side of this thread hasn't been very popular since I started posting. The truth of the matter is that my new philospophy, disciplines, and attitude have made a bigger change in the quality of my life than getting in optimal physical condition. You can change the way you think through personal development. It's no different than getting in peak physical condition, it takes labor, consistency, and time but the payoff is monumental.