User Name
Password

Old 05-22-2017, 02:25 PM

Glad to see it's getting finished! Thanks for the comedy hour

http://chrisholstromconcepts.com/
Old 05-22-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I have been extremely fortunate in my lifetime. I was trying to explain to a buddy here (just got out of rehab - and I haven't had a drink for 33 years now) -- about all the people that mentored me - or that shared with me - or that took me under their wing and gave me a chance. Not because of booze etc -- but that just were there and helped me along. I tried to explain "luck" - and that you had to put yourself in a position to get lucky.... take risk... etc. But really -- basically about LIVING and moving forward. There seems to be various STAGES of life.... and we just need to move thru and WITH those stages. We don't know what stage our life is going to be in next year... we don't foresee the future. It's a moving target -- you can move with it or you can freeze up and sit around wishing all was different somehow. F that.

Like I used to tell Rudy (my Brother in Law) -- if you're going to build a car -- then you start by picking up a tool and doing something with it. You've got to do that EVERY DAY.... or they don't get built. Dream, or DO. I like to DO.

I don't have some of the cars - I don't have hardly any tools (one big box is all)... Who cares! That was then and this is now. Yesterday I went to the range with 4 other friends (all new within this last year or so) at 10AM -- We left there when they closed at 5:30. When we were leaving - we discussed NEXT WEEKEND and that we needed to get together after these Saturdays and break some bread.... so we laid plans for that. THAT my friends is good stuff. Spending the day - regardless of what you're doing as an activity - do it with friends and or family.

The new hobby -- long range precision shooting, or just shooting in general -- is every bit as satisfying as the old (building car stuff). It's neither better nor worse because it's very similar.... it's mechanical stuff - it requires some skills - and it's being done with others with similar interests. DONE. Good enough. I'm not hanging around wishin' I could have what I had last year. Last year is gone and in the history book of great memories. Now I'm building new ones.

By the way --- if you don't think there are any skills to garner in some new hobby because you were good at your old one.... HA! Then you need to stretch your hobby to a point where you need to get instructors involved or something to keep your interest level up. Jake (new friend who is only 25 years old - doesn't matter that I'm damn near 40 years older than him) was the state clay shooting champion.... but the long range stuff is new to him. He has mad skills behind a shotgun -- but is learning new skills banging steel at 1400 yards. It's a COMPLETELY different set of skills and knowledge.... Try as he might - using my equipment he couldn't get 'er done.... I was spotting for him (takes two to shoot at these distances - think sniper style and not in a killing way - but you need to see where your point of impact was - read the wind - adjust etc) -- then I jokingly said -- okay if you can't get it done with a box and a half of ammo -- let me show you.... "The old man" sat down and in 8 rounds put three hits on it (two in a row on a challenge of "I bet you can't hit it three times in a row!). It's not one bit different than when we "race" or we challenge each other about horsepower - or how long of a "scratch" we can lay.... or whatever.

Life is what you make of it and it's best done with wide open eyes that are game to seek what's out there. The FUN is the learning and the doing. If you suck at plumbing your car -- watch some videos -- read some articles -- get some scrap and find someone to show you some tricks - my guess is -- you (you is everyone) have some skills they'd like to learn... or just like spending a day doing ****. Next thing you know - you're plumbing your buddies car because you actually gained some knowledge and some skills at something you used to SUCK at. LOL

Now - get out there and pick up a tool (in other words - get out there and do SOMETHING besides watching TV)......

Like-like-like

I couldn't agree more.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
I think that is a good suit. Both super detailed and good with communication. What could go wrong?lol

Harold's stuff flat out works. I've been on tour with them three times, and they take a different/new build each time (he's been 4 or 5). Classy people and great product.
Couldn't agree more. They took this 49 Cadillac last time out on the HOF tour. Just too cool for school, top notch craftsmanship, just glides along but has plenty of giddy up with 1000Hp lsx motor.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2017, 12:58 PM

Fantastic !!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 PM

Awesome!
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

So the First Annual Defied Death Match at Thunderhill went off without too many hitches --- and we all had a blast!! Ron Schwarz - Rob Dickey - Dave Gordon - Scott Siegmund - Bob Braga... and Ron Sutton.... Paul and Mike also showed up and hung around for most of the day!! Good to see EVERYONE!!!

Then Charley calls and we discuss moving the 40 down to the shop in TexASS --- I had a Rotary Lift scheduled for installation on Tuesday -- so that got done - drove to Charley's and picked up the trailer and off I went..... to Winnemucca NV for the night -- then from there to Loveland CO where I am now. That's 819 miles with an empty trailer in 40 and 50 MPH gusting winds.... I think I wore the front tires out keeping the POS of the road.

Tomorrow I'll load up and head south.... By the time I get all done this will be about 5,300 miles of trailer trucking.

God I love living life!! Seriously! Life is such a "trip".... <see what I did there?>

Oh -- I almost forgot -- the Lotus was dropped off at Charley's == Reliable will pick it up when they drop off HellFire -- and take it down to SW's in Austin and we'll see if he can't make it find a new home. It's been a great back up track car! Totally hassle free! Runs and drive so dang well -- but the new little trackside shed just doesn't need three cars in it... and with the lift installed -- that was even more evident. BUH BYE!

Last edited by GregWeld; 05-24-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:46 AM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 495 Posts

Reliable is picking up that POS today. I'm not sure I like GW having a shop so close. He keeps showing up.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:48 AM

Can't say thanks enough for the invite Greg, that was a hoot. A track to ourselves with 5 cars to race around, and 3 of them were cool .LOL

Driving a Lotus, a couple Mustangs, and even a Miata, around a new track, what more could a car guy ask for. Racing, wrenching, eating, and of course drinking with really good friends is what life is all about.

I've met Ron Sutton before, had no idea what a goof he is. Tagging Dave with a new bumper sticker for his ride home was priceless.

Adventures like that, melt away the stresses of everyday life. The only problem is sooner or later we have go back to work. Thanks again Greg.

As always, nice pic Scott

Last edited by 57hemicuda; 05-25-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:21 AM

Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Reliable is picking up that POS today. I'm not sure I like GW having a shop so close. He keeps showing up.

Skip
Old 05-25-2017, 03:09 PM

Glad to see everything going well Greg!