Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2019, 01:40 PM

Are your parking light housings well grounded? I have had to add dedicated ground wires to them in the past. Measure the resistance from the light housing to the battery ground.

Is your engine, body and core support properly grounded?

Don
Old 04-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
Can you provide a link to the parking lamps that you're using? Is it possible that you connected them incorrectly? They should only go in one way into the socket, but if you forced them in then I could possibly see this type of problem occurring.
The Digitails parking light kit is sold by Mattsclassicbowties in Amazon. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Cam.../dp/B005HFXZ8W

I made sure wiring is done properly. If not wired correctly, the turn signals and parking light won’t work.

Everything works fine with the engine is not running. However, when I start the engine, the front turn signals or hazards don’t flash.

When engine is switched off, all work fine.

I honestly do not know what else to check. It was really a wrong decision made to the kit.
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
Old 04-28-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Are your parking light housings well grounded? I have had to add dedicated ground wires to them in the past. Measure the resistance from the light housing to the battery ground.

Is your engine, body and core support properly grounded?

Don
Yes they are all properly grounded.
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
Old 04-28-2019, 03:37 PM

There are 3 problems that you're reporting.

1. When the 4-way flashers are active and the brakes are on then all 4 bulbs remain lit instead of flashing as one would expect. I think this may be normal and is a function of the blinker/hazard switch in the steering column.

2. The dash blinker LED indicator bulbs will come on when the parking lamps are on. This obviously shouldn't happen and I think the problem is caused because the parking lamps are back feeding voltage onto the blinker circuit when the parking lamps are turned on.

3. When the engine is running and the parking lamps are on then the front blinkers will not function. So again I think this is the same as problem number 2 but it is more pronounced when the engine is running because the operating voltage is greater than when the engine is off. It could be that the blinkers actually are blinking but you can't tell because the back fed voltage from the parking lamp circuit is enough to not only light the dash indicator bulbs but it is also now lighting the blinker bulbs.

So this seems to be a defective digitails parking lamp or lamps. You could try probing either the left or right blinker wire going to the digitail light and see if a voltage is present when you only turn on the parking lights.

I suspect that you will find a voltage on both the left and right sides since you stated that both indicator bulbs are coming on. You could work around this problem by adding a diode on each blinker wire going to the digitail parking lights.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
There are 3 problems that you're reporting.

1. When the 4-way flashers are active and the brakes are on then all 4 bulbs remain lit instead of flashing as one would expect. I think this may be normal and is a function of the blinker/hazard switch in the steering column.

2. The dash blinker LED indicator bulbs will come on when the parking lamps are on. This obviously shouldn't happen and I think the problem is caused because the parking lamps are back feeding voltage onto the blinker circuit when the parking lamps are turned on.

3. When the engine is running and the parking lamps are on then the front blinkers will not function. So again I think this is the same as problem number 2 but it is more pronounced when the engine is running because the operating voltage is greater than when the engine is off. It could be that the blinkers actually are blinking but you can't tell because the back fed voltage from the parking lamp circuit is enough to not only light the dash indicator bulbs but it is also now lighting the blinker bulbs.

So this seems to be a defective digitails parking lamp or lamps. You could try probing either the left or right blinker wire going to the digitail light and see if a voltage is present when you only turn on the parking lights.

I suspect that you will find a voltage on both the left and right sides since you stated that both indicator bulbs are coming on. You could work around this problem by adding a diode on each blinker wire going to the digitail parking lights.
Thanks for the informative write up. My knowledge in electronics is very basic. Just wondering why I may still need to get a diode when I already have LED flashers for both Hazards & Turn Signals?

Is a diode different than LED resistor, that are used to eliminate hyper blinking?

Do I need to add a diode on each blinker wire front only or the rear blinker wires as well?

Do the diodes come in different voltages? Will appreciate if you could share a link or a photo and the voltage required for each diode?

Will appreciate your input

Last edited by 72Z/28; 04-29-2019 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:46 AM

Diodes are different from resistors in that they only allow current to flow in one direction. They will prevent circuits from backfeeding.

Not sure what he would recommend but a 50 volt 10 amp Schottky diode should be ok.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-10...0AAOSwhilbaAu-

Don
Old 04-29-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Diodes are different from resistors in that they only allow current to flow in one direction. They will prevent circuits from backfeeding.

Not sure what he would recommend but a 50 volt 10 amp Schottky diode should be ok.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-10...0AAOSwhilbaAu-

Don
Thanks Don for sharing the specs
Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 AM

The diodes Don picked will work fine. You can confirm this fix will work by cutting the blinker wire at the digitail parking lamp. You should see that one of the dash indicator bulbs is no longer lit when you turn on the parking lamps and if that is the case then place the diode between the wire you just cut with the cathode (end of the diode with the stripe) connected to the side of the wire attached to the parking lamp. If both are still lit then the problem is somewhere else so try that first and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:49 AM

Just a quick update on the issues.
As advised by Chris I checked the voltage at blinker wire when the parking light is on while the engine is running. When the blinker or the flasher at front is on, there was voltage going to the blinker.

When I turn off the parking light and blinker is on, I noticed the voltage at blinker side.

I have also replaced side marker bulbs with LED ones. I decided to remove the Side marker LEDs.

Guess what, everything started to work as it is supposed to and the dash green indicators did not stay on when the parking light is on.

Now since the problem is with the LED side markers,

Does this mean if I put diodes on each blinker wire, everything will work fine by keeping the LED side marker bulbs?

I put the normal bulbs for testing purposes,however, it did not help at all
Old 04-29-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The diodes Don picked will work fine. You can confirm this fix will work by cutting the blinker wire at the digitail parking lamp. You should see that one of the dash indicator bulbs is no longer lit when you turn on the parking lamps and if that is the case then place the diode between the wire you just cut with the cathode (end of the diode with the stripe) connected to the side of the wire attached to the parking lamp. If both are still lit then the problem is somewhere else so try that first and let us know how it goes.
Well I have just disconnected the blinker wire (blue ) on both parking lights and turned on the parking lights. Unfortunately, the indicators on the dash are still lit.

I guess the culprit is the LED bulb (194) I put for the side markers. When In pulled the LED from the markers a few hours ago, the green indicators were no longer lit, and the turn signals/ hazards worked fine with and without the engine running.

Now I need to figure out the issue with the side markers LEDs.