Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > How To's, Tips, and Tricks
User Name
Password

Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Dammm another really smart guy. I love this place!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Why did you use a solenoid valve vs. a pneumatic foot valve?

Darren
Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Hi Darren,

On the last cabinet I built, I used the kit from TIP which came with a foot-pedal air valve. I was not all that happy with it. That valve only had a 3/8" internal port, which was fine since on that cabinet, all my hoses were 3/8. We also eventually wore that pedal out and it was not rebuildable...

Having some experience using (rebuildable) solenoid valves in industrial applications, and since I am now running 1/2" hose throughout, I wanted to use a solenoid valve this time around. Solenoid valves like this when used for switching clean dry air, will typically last for many millions of cycles in industrial applications, so I doubt I will ever wear this one out.

In addition, the use of the solenoid valve means a lot less clutter down on the floor, since the air hoses don't need to go all the way down to a pedal sitting on the floor, and then back up to the cabinet/gun.

One potential drawback of the solenoid valve vs. a foot pedal air valve, is that it is not possible to finely control or "throttle" the air pressure, it is either ON, or OFF. But as I recall, I was never really able to get much measure of fine control using my old foot pedal air valve, nor did I really ever find myself needing or wanting to do that, anyway.

I can imagine that if someone was using a cabinet to blast delicate things (like antique electric motor armatures, for example) and things like that, using walnut shells or some other fine media, maybe that kind of capability would be desired, although, you can really get the same effect by reducing blasting pressure to begin with, using the regulator, and or varying the gun position vs. the part being blasted, to get the desired effect.

Project update thread here:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12743

My Lateral-G Page

My Shop Build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite692 View Post
Hi Darren,

On the last cabinet I built, I used the kit from TIP which came with a foot-pedal air valve. I was not all that happy with it. That valve only had a 3/8" internal port, which was fine since on that cabinet, all my hoses were 3/8. We also eventually wore that pedal out and it was not rebuildable...

Having some experience using (rebuildable) solenoid valves in industrial applications, and since I am now running 1/2" hose throughout, I wanted to use a solenoid valve this time around. Solenoid valves like this when used for switching clean dry air, will typically last for many millions of cycles in industrial applications, so I doubt I will ever wear this one out.

In addition, the use of the solenoid valve means a lot less clutter down on the floor, since the air hoses don't need to go all the way down to a pedal sitting on the floor, and then back up to the cabinet/gun.

One potential drawback of the solenoid valve vs. a foot pedal air valve, is that it is not possible to finely control or "throttle" the air pressure, it is either ON, or OFF. But as I recall, I was never really able to get much measure of fine control using my old foot pedal air valve, nor did I really ever find myself needing or wanting to do that, anyway.

I can imagine that if someone was using a cabinet to blast delicate things (like antique electric motor armatures, for example) and things like that, using walnut shells or some other fine media, maybe that kind of capability would be desired, although, you can really get the same effect by reducing blasting pressure to begin with, using the regulator, and or varying the gun position vs. the part being blasted, to get the desired effect.
Thanks for your feedback. I own an industrial distribution business, so I know a thing or three about solenoid valves! But you answered my question perfectly. The clutter removal is great idea. The air hoses tend to make a mess out things.

Darren
Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 PM

Great info. Thanks for sharing I will be using this in the future.
Kory
Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Hi guy's if any one is thinking of doing Rob's upgrade and is looking for a foot pedal, I just bought one for $40 shipped I'll list the E Bay page. He's asking $40 plus $10 shipping but I offered him $40 shipped and he took it.
Here's the page.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160857698197...84.m1438.l2649
And the item number incase the link doesn't work. 160857698197
I hope it helps some body.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 PM

I went with the Tacoma Company set up few months ago and will say Mike can back his product up!!!!!!! He is first willing to spend time talking to you about your setup and what your wanting to do/need to blast. Parts ship fast and even sent me some new stuff to try out! His product was pretty straight forward and the few questions I did have to ask he always answered his phone and was more willing to help me out. I was so happy once I got it ready to blast at the difference it made compared to H/F unit. I did use my H/F cabinet just ditch all but case. Trust me guy's you will not go wrong with Mikes setup and I plan to buy his dust collector and more media from him cause I got a great product,super support and someone that cares about what there selling and the customer. I can not say enough good things about Tacoma Company and wanna say if you ever read this Mike sorry took so long to give feed back and your a top notch guy!!!!!!!!!!! Brandon
Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 AM

Have a harbor freight. Added new lights and it seals OK. I took the stock gun and drilled it out. Worked better - i was happy. I just needed to spend money so I bought the TP Tools retrofit gun kit for less than $100. When it got here, I looked at it and wondered if I made a mistake because it did not look that much different than my HF gun (hole sizes and all). Hooked it up and WOW, what a difference. It is so much faster than I ever expected. I usually would keep the HF gun for parts and some other reason - just in case. Not this time. It went straight into the trash where it belonged. Have a HF blaster - get this gun!.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:34 AM
Banned

I agree that Great info. Thanks for sharing I will be using this in the future.
Kory
Old 01-31-2016, 08:22 AM

I have been using the small H/F cabinet for years and it's done the job perfectly without complaint.

I installed a cheap light and use the plastic sheets that came with it. I use it primarily for rust removal on small parts and bolts, nuts etc. I use iron oxide media.