Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 AM

Default '67 Camaro AIX - Vintage road race retrospective

I never did an sort of "public record" of the build on this car anywhere back in 2001-2004 when I had it built. I know there's people who remember the car and are familiar with it, and I still mention it with some frequency, so I thought I'd start a thread to give some of the history of the car, the build and "where is it now"...

I'll put this post in as a placeholder for now and jump into the whole story when I have more time later. There should be plenty of photos!
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Love that car.

Cant wait for the build pictures!

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 03-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Love that car.

Cant wait for the build pictures!
X's 2
Old 03-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

C'mon Sean. Details! Details!

Old 03-30-2014, 11:48 AM

OK, guys... a little more, but only because I have about 10 hours of client work I have to get done today and I'm a slave to self-destructive procrastination!

I have some build pics, I have tons of detailed photos from when I sold the car. Here's the spec sheet from when I sold it (apologies for it being a bit "sales-y sounding, just cut and pasted). That's a good starting point right?! Ha ha. I'll update with a lot more detail and color around everything as I go.

1967 Chevrolet Camaro A Sedan Vintage Racing Car Specification Sheet

Chassis Specifications

Body Construction/Modifications: 1967 Chevrolet Camaro modified by Maeco Motorsports and Mobius Motorsports. Plasma cut weight reduction (weight 2740# with fluids less driver). Aluminum interior, trunk floor and door panels. Fiber glass hood and trunk lid. Lexan rear window. Door, quarter and vent windows and tracks removed. Steel fenders hand flared by Mobius Motorsports. Steel quarter panels hand flared by Mobius Motorsports. 1968 Camaro grill and side mirrors. 22 gallon Fuel Safe pro series fuel cell with aluminum container and surge box with trap doors and check valves.

Roll Cage: 1-5/8” x 0.095” 4130 Chrome-moly alloy steel, 8 point roll cage constructed by Maeco Motorsports.

Front Suspension: Modified stock subframe by Maeco Motorsports and Mobius Motorsports. Subframe is seam welded and integrated into the roll cage. Upper A-arms attachment points modified for improved geometry. Poleposition adjustable A-arms and modified stock A-arms. Threaded weight jackers integrated into the subframe. Penske 8900 series three way adjustable remote resivoir shocks with custom mounting points. Fabricated spindles with second generation Camaro outer bearing races. Tubular, adjustable anti-sway bar. Hypercoils springs. Aluminum bushings in all control arms. Crossmember modified for dry-sump clearance.

Rear Suspension: Landrum multi-leaf springs with spherical bearings in spring eyes and in rear chassis attachment point. Chassis mounted adjustable Watts link lateral axle locator by Maeco Motorsports. Penske 8900 series three way adjustable remote resivoir shocks with custom mounting points by Dean Westmoreland.

Brakes: Front CNC Six piston aluminum calipers rear Delco Moraine J-56 calipers with composite insulators on custom caliper brackets by Maeco Motorsports and Mobius Motorsports. AP Lockheed Racing dual master cylinders. Wilwood pedals with bias adjuster. Porterfield brake pads. Coleman 12” floating rotors on aluminum rotor hats by Maeco Motorsports.

Steering: Flaming River aluminum manual steering box, Sweet collapsible steering column, splined quick release hub and Schroder aluminum steering wheel. Aluminum steering links with rod end joints and geometry modified to reduce bump steer.

Seat: Ultra-Shield Custom aluminum seat

Gauges: Autometer Ultralite series

Wheels: Bart Super speedway wheels 15”X8”

Drive Train Specifications

Engine: Chevrolet 358 CID heavy duty “Bow-tie” block with splayed 4 bolt mains. Forged steel crank, lightened and knife-edged. Eagle H-beam rods. J&E flat top pistons. Comp Cams cam shaft driven by Jesel belt drive. TFS high port 18 degree heads. T&D shaft mounted roller rocker arms. Isky triple valve springs and stainless steel valves. Chevrolet performance parts “Bow-tie” 18 degree manifold. Holley 4150 HP series carburetor, 750 cfm. Moroso fabricated aluminum valve covers with valve spring oil spray nozzles. Gilmer cog belt accessory drives. Engine built by Dean Westmorland.

Ignition: MSD 6AL ignition box. MSD pro-billet distributor. MSD shock proof coil.

Oil System: Fabricated 3 port dry sump oil pan. Stockcar Products 4 stage dry sump pump. Coleman 3 gallon oil tank with Peterson breather. Canton Meca filter with Petersen scavenge screen filters. Stockcar Products aluminum oil cooler .

Exhaust: Fabricated Headman stepped headers into Dr. Gas X-pipe with straight pipes exiting to left and right of car under doors.

Clutch/Flywheel/Transmission: Tilton 7.25” triple disk clutch and Tilton ultralight flywheel. Quartermaster hydraulic throw out bearing and Quartermaster aluminum bell housing. AP Lockheed Racing clutch master cylender. Jerico WC-4 transmission with Tilton external pump and magnesium case and tail shaft.

Rearend: Maeco Motorsports fabricated NASCAR style 9” rear end with full floating, gun-drilled, crowned Stock Car Products axles. Coleman hubs and drive plates. Aluminum gear carrier with Daytona style pinion bearing carrier, Detroit Locker style differential and Stock Car Products gears.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 AM

Real quick, a couple of fun pics...

Yes, I am wearing an EZ Wider shirt in that picture. Most appropriate for the amount of smoking that went on about 10 seconds later!

Bonus points if ayone can identify the red '69 in the background and the location of the photos.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2014, 02:02 PM

Wait a sec...this car looks familiar to me....did you live in San Francisco during the 90's-2000'sDid you ever have work done at G-F Automotive in SSF? Did you know Steve Pardini or Mike Marsh? I may have talked to you. It just looks familair but I have terrible memory.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11

Last edited by Vince@Meanstreets; 03-30-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Rochester View Post

Front Suspension: Modified stock subframe by Maeco Motorsports and Mobius Motorsports. Subframe is seam welded and integrated into the roll cage. Upper A-arms attachment points modified for improved geometry. Poleposition adjustable A-arms and modified stock A-arms. Threaded weight jackers integrated into the subframe. Penske 8900 series three way adjustable remote resivoir shocks with custom mounting points. Fabricated spindles with second generation Camaro outer bearing races. Tubular, adjustable anti-sway bar. Hypercoils springs. Aluminum bushings in all control arms. Crossmember modified for dry-sump clearance.

Rear Suspension: Landrum multi-leaf springs with spherical bearings in spring eyes and in rear chassis attachment point. Chassis mounted adjustable Watts link lateral axle locator by Maeco Motorsports. Penske 8900 series three way adjustable remote resivoir shocks with custom mounting points by Dean Westmoreland.
Very interested in A-arm mounting alterations and Watts details. Poleposition morphed into the SPC adjustable arm?

Oh and...............

Old 03-30-2014, 05:46 PM

Love this car
Old 03-30-2014, 07:20 PM

This is what I'm talkin about. Great thread!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer