Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2018, 09:33 PM

Default 1969 Camaro L99/6l80 swap Q&A

Hello Everyone,

So i recently picked up an L99 mated with a 6l80 with approx 66k for what i feel is a real good deal($3600) I know there is alot of information out there on the swaps but i am gonna be honest it is too much information to sort through and some of it is very confusing not to mention the majority is on 6sp manual transmissions. So what i wanna do is create a check list on what i need to do to make this swap happen on a friendly budget.

This is what i got a 1969 Camaro with a 383 sbc/350 trans,10 bolt eaton posi 3.73 gears with moser axles, i got caltracs split leaf and traction bars in the rear,rebuilt original front suspension with energy bushings along with qa1 adjustable coil over shocks, brakes i went with c6 corvette brakes all around. Car still has the original Subframe with aluminum mounting bushings.

Questions:
Block Decoding--block casting number reads 12621766 heads read 823 my question block decodes as ls9 is this correct? From my understanding its an LS9 Block with L99 internals am i wrong?

Engine/Trans swap(Budget Friendly)-
1- What is the best budget friendly kit to make the swap? I know i may need to notch the frame if so what do i need to notch? keep in mind that i prefer to buy something if i am going to be having issues in the future.
2- Do i need to cut the floor to make the trans fit? If so how much and what the easiest way?(images would be great)
3- Shifter whats the best shifter(budget friendly) to use and any issues with mounting it/installing it?
4-Trans crossmember-- Better to build your own or buy one? Any issues with exhaust clearance.
5-Oil Pan- Do i need to replace due to clearance issues or sitting too low or just notch the frame?(this applies to motor and trans pan)
6- Do i need to replace my steering box? or what is the best option as i read there may be clearance issues with the headers?
7- Wiring--- is it cheaper to get a standalone system and flash the ECU? or buy the fitech LS kit i was leaning more towards the fitech setup. I currently do not have the ECU have only the engine harness not sure if i need anything else.
8- Whether i go with original harness or fitech do i still have to reprogram the trans? and can that be done without going to a shop assuming its something basic?

I have a ton more questions but i wanted to cover the main points of getting the engine/trans inside the car and what needed to be modified to make it happen. I would PREFER the opinion from people who have done the swap versus just thoughts as this would make it a good reference point. I am not a master builder but i know my way around a car so i can fabricate minor things(notch,weld etc), i hope you guys can help!!!!
Attached Images