Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 03-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_04 View Post
There is a very long thread over on Pro-Touring.com regarding the 2.0 version. What I've taken from that thread is there have been (what I consider) minor problems with the kit, but the FAST customer service isn't up to snuff with helping correct them.
Is this the thread you're referring to?

"FAST EZ EFI 2.0 the elephant in the room"

If so I don't get the "long" statement. Like many of these threads this one has many posters that aren't using the product referenced. They merely state what they are using. If you took away those posts this would be a one page thread.

Finally like most of the efi issues I've dealt with almost all are self inflicted install problems. In this case the use of far too large injectors for the application. The other big no no is running efi and ignition boxes too close to each other. Or the good one. Separating them only to bundle the harnesses together at some point. DOH! The pretty much negates the separation doesn't it???

Other typical install issues are caused by shared vacuum source to the MAP sensor. Or the O2 sensor installed too far aft of the collector. Or bad welding of the bung allowing air to be pulled into the exhaust. I've also seen box stock MSD distributors installed without any adjustment of the timing curve or timing stops. Another issue I've found is the power source to the ECU. The battery is used as a "line conditioner" for these systems. I know the 1.0 systems ECU even come with a orange "toe tag" saying to connect only to the battery - yet people discard that info and try to run off some other point in their power system. All of these seem relatively minor things to the installer but they are not minor at all. Then in an attempt to rectify the running issues they only blame the system because they can't seem to get the system to be perfect via tuning. Kinda like blaming a miss on the carb.... they continue to attempt to tune the miss out with the carb
when it's really a fouled plug. LOL

Not trying to defend this particular 2.0 system. But the usual issues are usually NOT the hardware / software. Whether it's FAST EZ or XFI or someone else's brand.

Last edited by GregWeld; 03-20-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 PM

We had the first running LS engine with the new 2.0 system last summer. I won't lie to you we did have an initial problem, but this was taken care of and rectified quickly by FAST. This is a cammed LS3 that made 437 rwhp in a '66 Chevelle with a 700r4 trans and 12 bolt. We have over 3,000 miles on the system and my wife Lynda competed at the Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational in Nevada with this set up. The car ran excellent and I have no complaints.
Many will question why we did not simply use the factory EFI. This is an original SS car and we wanted to keep as much of the original feel as possible. This injection system allows for complete self learn of fuel maps, with manual adjustments as well. For our LS3 it also controls ignition. All of this with a standard intake and no fuel rails. Car is pulling down about 19 mpg on the highway too.
I would not hesitate to use this again.

Special Thanks to:
D&Z Customs, Roadster Shop, Weld Racing Wheels, Wilwood, BF Goodrich, Dynatech, and C&R Radiators
Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
There is a very long thread over on Pro-Touring.com regarding the 2.0 version. What I've taken from that thread is there have been (what I consider) minor problems with the kit, but the FAST customer service isn't up to snuff with helping correct them.
I hate to say it but that is the same thing that happened with 1.0. I did 3 installs on cars with ITB manifolds and all 3 of them have had issues. FAST tech support answer was to just reset the program and drive it... problems would tune in... then tune out...then tune in. They finally admitted that there were issues with the 1.0 system on ITB manifolds. There is a lot of "seat of the pants" adjustment that goes into putting a programmable EFI system on an ITB manifold that you learn with experience and these self-tuning systems just aren't smart enough to do it. They can only test so much at the factory and I think a lot of the trouble shooting comes from the real world, when as Greg mentioned, they are not installed or used in the optimal situations.

On the other side of the coin I sold two EZ 1.0 systems to guys with common plenum manifolds... one on a 500ci Caddy engine and neither have had issues.

I am interested to try out a 2.0 Sportsman system that has a manual tuner feature. This is something that knowledgeable tuners have been asking for since EZ 1.0 came out. I know it's a double edged sword but all programmable EFI systems are... they are adjustable enough for the hapless to make a big mess but in the right hands they make magic.

1970 Chevelle I built years back as a Lat-G Feature https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=43116

Last edited by Revved; 03-20-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Is this the thread you're referring to?

"FAST EZ EFI 2.0 the elephant in the room"
No Greg, it was simply named "Fast EFI 2.0"
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...highlight=Fast

I repair cars and sell parts for a living, I deal with "bad part" returns all the time, and it is frustrating when you can't tell someone they are not doing it right (bad for business). I'm not saying the 2.0 is bad, but if I end up going with it it will be after a few more months and some positive reviews. Many new products have growing pains when they come out, I remember one of my teachers always saying "Don't buy a first model year car" and it does seem to be true (to an extent).

I've been researching various bolt on fuel injection kits for my father who is looking to update his '67 Firebird's 455 (not very Pro-Touring, more old school ass-in-the-air and tires sticking out). I am leaning towards a shot in the dark, the Professional Products Powerjection, but I am also reading any reviews I see about the other options as well. His main concern with the switch (again, old school) is that he wants it to look like a carb.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:

I repair cars and sell parts for a living, I deal with "bad part" returns all the time, and it is frustrating when you can't tell someone they are not doing it right (bad for business). I'm not saying the 2.0 is bad, but if I end up going with it it will be after a few more months and some positive reviews. Many new products have growing pains when they come out, I remember one of my teachers always saying "Don't buy a first model year car" and it does seem to be true (to an extent).

I've been researching various bolt on fuel injection kits for my father who is looking to update his '67 Firebird's 455 (not very Pro-Touring, more old school ass-in-the-air and tires sticking out). I am leaning towards a shot in the dark, the Professional Products Powerjection, but I am also reading any reviews I see about the other options as well. His main concern with the switch (again, old school) is that he wants it to look like a carb.

So here's something I would add regarding this system. Don't put the ECU in the engine compartment.

These systems can be problematic with various RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) and high voltages from spark plugs / plug wires etc.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:

So there's really TWO installs in this thread.... one guy had all manor of electrical issues... and my guess is those issues were there well before the EFI system was installed. Low voltage at idle - inadequate charge at idle with various load items. Imagine now that he always had that issue.... but now installs an electric fuel pump (a new load) and an ECU - etc... once he provided ADEQUATE grounds -- and low rpm voltage - his problems were cured. He did discover a bad MAP sensor --- and that is something that shouldn't happen but it did.

The other guy that can't seem to get his running at all -- really doesn't provide us any details what he's done as far as installation -- or what checks he's done or what issues he's having or any pics of his car etc -- SO we're left guessing how or what he's working with.... and I can tell you for certain - that many peoples electrical skills and circuit knowledge are less than "stellar".

I'm aware of some delays in the 2.0 system inventory... too many sales? Or a manufacturing issue - or parts supplier... hard to know that.

The one install worked thru his systems issues -- which weren't his systems issues at all - but rather a weak electrical system and possibly some real poor ground issues. Once those were resolved he seemed very happy with his system.

That's what I'm usually trying to point out. These are DIY installs -- we have little knowledge of the skills of the installer - his electrical knowledge -- what all the parts of the "hot rod" are that he's working on etc. But in all the work I've done on these (and XFI) systems -- I've never once found the system itself to be at fault. When they're installed properly with a good working healthy electrical system... they do, in fact, work really well. That's not to say every part a manufacturer is going to ship is going to be 100% perfect because we've all gotten defective stuff. I know I certainly have.

I just bought a factory crate LS3 480 hp GM motor and a factory ECU.... the electrical on this car is far superior to most cars on the road... but it's going to the tuner because it constantly stalls and has too low of idle RPM's. All factory stuff -- and then talking to people that install these regularly = they tell me - oh yeah - they all need work because they won't run right out of the box. Okay... to the tuner it goes on Monday. I'm confident it's a very simple adjustment of either the IAC or the fuel mapping or idle rpm settings... To me it's no different than when I'd pull a carb out of a box --- and then spend a lot of time getting the fueling right... jets - pumps - accelerator pumps... idle bleeds... it was easy though because we've been doing it for years. EFI is new to most and there's a lot of knowledge "missing" or people that are right around the block that can come over to help.

Last edited by GregWeld; 03-22-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 AM

The average person definitely does not understand fuel injection, I had a guy come into the store wanting his '96 Taurus fixed because it ran bad "when the choke kicked off". I'd just like to see more success stories with the 2.0 before I spend the money. There seems to be some good reviews on most of the other units, I'm sure with a little time we will see more reviews on the 2.0 (good or bad).
Old 03-22-2014, 08:52 PM

I have been waiting and watching TBI EFI systems in general for about 5 years and they are just now getting to the point I am considering pulling the trigger on one.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 03-23-2014, 05:34 AM

Default Fast 2.0

Yup ... me too
Old 03-25-2014, 07:42 AM

Just remember ALL TBI systems are just electronic carburetors. They are prone to most of the same issues a carb would be, puddling, poor distribution, etc., apples to apples.
And as described, the self learning doesn't do everything. You still need to set you air/fuel table, spark table as well as cold start and transient fueling to some degree.

Before you pull the trigger on a PP Powerjection, check out their forum. There's a thread on their from V8buick. Over 900 posts to solve 1 problem, poor drivability.
Just be sure you know what you're getting into before you plop down your hard earned cash.