...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-03-2017, 10:30 PM
DOOM's Avatar
DOOM DOOM is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Side Chicago
Posts: 2,884
Thanks: 6
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Unhappy Holley Dominator EFI hard starting after warm up

Well guys on to the next problem. My car is very hard to start after warm up. It will turn over for quite some time before it starts . Cold starts are okay . Any ideas Trying to set up my laptop so I can see what's going on but that's another story .
__________________
Mario
USCOLLISION
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Vegas69's Avatar
Vegas69 Vegas69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,485
Thanks: 24
Thanked 72 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I'd be looking for areas where your fuel line is getting too warm. Even with fuel injection you can get heat soak. Also, look at your fuel pressure and make sure your tank is venting properly.
__________________
Todd

Better than Flash: Race car driver, looks, physique, wears the pants, athlete, investor, (I'm out of space) HA
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2017, 09:45 AM
will69camaro will69camaro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,260
Thanks: 16
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Vaporlocking in the rails? How is your fuel system routed. What fuel? I had zero starting issues with 93 and only a small delay when starting on E85.
__________________
Texas A&M BSME 2008
1969 Camaro - Hugger Orange
1969 C10 SWB - Hugger Orange
2018 GMC Denali HD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2017, 10:03 AM
carbuff's Avatar
carbuff carbuff is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,296
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Hard start can be a bit tricky. In the Holley, you have to get the air/fuel set somewhat manually with the IAC opening and startup fuel. The tables are based on CTS, and take some experimenting.

Also, the Holley has a fixed timing advance for starting. Where is that set?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2017, 12:35 PM
DOOM's Avatar
DOOM DOOM is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Side Chicago
Posts: 2,884
Thanks: 6
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I'd be looking for areas where your fuel line is getting too warm. Even with fuel injection you can get heat soak. Also, look at your fuel pressure and make sure your tank is venting properly.
Thanx for the info Todd I'm on it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Vaporlocking in the rails? How is your fuel system routed. What fuel? I had zero starting issues with 93 and only a small delay when starting on E85.
Will I'm running VP 100 I'm going to look at the routing this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Hard start can be a bit tricky. In the Holley, you have to get the air/fuel set somewhat manually with the IAC opening and startup fuel. The tables are based on CTS, and take some experimenting.

Also, the Holley has a fixed timing advance for starting. Where is that set?
I do have a gauge I just have to find out what the pressure should be. This Holley EFI is all new to me . Glade I have you guys!
__________________
Mario
USCOLLISION
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2017, 09:03 AM
carbuff's Avatar
carbuff carbuff is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,296
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Generally you will be at 43 or 58 psi, and there is a setting in the Holley setup which indicates what pressure you are using. If the car is running ok once started, that should all be fine. I was curious if you were getting pressure during hot start based on the vapor lock questions. I'd be surprised if that is the problem with a higher pressure style EFI pump, but I suppose it's possible...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 AM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AriDzona
Posts: 20,620
Thanks: 441
Thanked 882 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Generally you will be at 43 or 58 psi, and there is a setting in the Holley setup which indicates what pressure you are using. If the car is running ok once started, that should all be fine. I was curious if you were getting pressure during hot start based on the vapor lock questions. I'd be surprised if that is the problem with a higher pressure style EFI pump, but I suppose it's possible...
highly doubtful.... you'd basically have to have heated up the entire tank of fuel.

Here IS a problem I've seen with EFI and the higher fuel pressures..... is when someone creates a VACUUM situation with a fitting (not pressure). Fuel boils with VACUUM... (it's not really boiling - it cavitates).

I'd be looking for a RESTRICTION in the fuel system.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 AM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AriDzona
Posts: 20,620
Thanks: 441
Thanked 882 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Well guys on to the next problem. My car is very hard to start after warm up. It will turn over for quite some time before it starts . Cold starts are okay . Any ideas Trying to set up my laptop so I can see what's going on but that's another story .

I thought this car was pro built?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-08-2017, 10:48 AM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AriDzona
Posts: 20,620
Thanks: 441
Thanked 882 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Is there a controller on your pump Mario -- because most fuel pumps are NOT continuous pumps.... but if they're not controlled then they turn into continuous pumps and as such get hot. Then you add heat soak - and then they start boiling the fuel... and don't pump worth a damn. That would show up on hot start.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Roadster Shop's Avatar
Roadster Shop Roadster Shop is offline
Supporting Vendor

RoadsterShop.com

 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,120
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

PM sent, Mario
__________________
www.roadstershop.com
Roadster Shop
Performance Suspension and Chassis
Turn Key Builds
Custom Fabrication
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net