Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 03-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Default Need input on crankcase evacuation remedies

Some basics of my setup first:

Its a 10.1 cr 383 SBC, 0.534/0.537 lift cam that makes 18" vac at idle, Fastburn heads, dual plane intake and a quadrajet, 525 ft lb at 4700 rpm, 467 hp at 5400 rpm. I street drive the car as well as race it on autocross and road course events 15-20 times a year.

During it's first season, I noticed significant oil blow by coming out the breather on the pass side valve cover, the driver side VC has a PCV valve plumbed to the carb. I'm investigating cures ranging from a engine driven Vac pump setup to just a catch can with a breather. My main concern is capturing the escaping oil, but I'm trying to figure out if putting a complete crankcase evac setup on the car would be a worthwhile investment.

I just started reading about the vacuum pumps yesterday and a few things concern me. It appears that they are mainly used in drag race applications to free up a few horsepower and to help the rings seal to make a little more power. I also read that the pumps need a little bit of oil to go thru them to keep them lubed.

I'm not really trying to eek every last little bit of power out of the engine and it gets street driven regularly...will a vacuum pump survive under just regular driving...not getting rung out on ever single run like a drag race application? And is it worth the cost (like $750-1000) and the hassle of mounting one and trying to run a belt to it for my application?

Or should I just plumb in a catch can tot he pass side valve cover and call it good?

Now onto that part... Is there a way to adapt a -12 type fitting to my existing breather hole in my valve cover or is my only option to have a fitting welded to the valve cover somehow? I'm not opposed to modding them but if I didn't have to it would make this more of a home remedy type job.

Here are some engine pics for reference...as you can see there is a lot going on under there so space is at a premium.

I welcome any ideas from those with experience in this area.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:04 AM

I'm not sure if this is a cure or something you've already read about, but I just installed a ME Wagner duel flow pcv valve on basically your same motor. I was noticing blow by and gaskets weeping oil. Once dialed in per their instructions it appears the weeping has quit and oil blow by has been solved too. They suggest an oil catch can to be plumbed inline. I picked up a moroso can but haven't plumbed it because I'm not sure I need it. Time and miles will tell if I do I guess. If you haven't looked into them, maybe see what you think.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Thanks Matt, that looks interesting... What did you use on the other valve cover, a breather of any sort?

I think my issue is compounded by the type of driving I do on track, mainly on autocross runs. Multiple WOT blasts immediately followed by short closed throttle blades...then WOT once again. I think my current PCV setup just can't catch back up quick enough creating excessive crankcase pressure on the WOT blasts.

I don't really care about "pretty" on this engine anymore, I'm more concerned about function. But at the same time I'm more interested in a fix that will work with what I have instead of reinventing the wheel if that makes sense. Some sort of solution that will work with my existing grommets in both valve covers would be ideal for me.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:46 PM

I have a similar 383 (think 19" vac at idle) and have a similar breather on the passenger and PVC on the driver and haven't experience any problems after installing a Moroso catch can between the PVC valve and the throttle body. The amount of nasty crap at the bottom of the catch can is surprising considering it was going straight in to the engine before. I remember finding a great site that listed out the different breather setups (NA vs. turbo) that I'll try to find and post on this thread.

Here's what I have:
Breather - https://www.spectreperformance.com/s...aspx?prod=4919
PVC - https://www.spectreperformance.com/s...aspx?prod=4921
Moroso Catch Can - (got it for $39.99 on Amazon, total screw up on pricing) https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-85474-.../dp/B004K9BIY4

1968 Camaro SS

Last edited by ADY; 04-09-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Catch Can

Hello,
I am running a MightyMouse Solutions Catch Can on my 540 BBC. My set-up includes a -12AN dirty side to catch can, and a 3/8 clean side to throttle body with a turbo car PCV valve. This significantly helped my set-up which originally consisted of one K&N breathers on top of each valve cover. Give Mighty Mouse a call, and he can help you with your application. These are very popular for twin turbo LS cars.

www.mmsolutions.com

Regards,

Larry

Last edited by l2azorback; 03-24-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:40 AM

Wow!! Thanks Larry, tons of useful information at MightMouse. Here is the correct link BTW if anyone else goes looking for it...

http://www.mightymousesolutions.com/mm-catch-cans

I have contacted them about putting together a custom setup for my application.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:48 PM

Here is a great article by Arrington Performance. It really explains everything very well and lays out various configurations and their Pros & Cons.

http://www.shophemi.com/images/media..._ccv_bible.pdf

Cheers, Brew

Oh and Lance your car is very sweet!

Oh and Yes I am a Brewmaster.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:08 AM

Thanks Brew... And that is an AWESOME illustration that deals with my current issue.

I now understand how that at high load WOT conditions, PCV valves will close instead of staying open causing a foul air condition and ALL blow by gases to exit the engine via the vent which in my current case is just a breather meant only to allow fresh air into the crank case.

Considering how much time my engine spends at high load WOT...this is all starting to make a lot more sense.

I'm thinking option 3 from the link is a good fix, twin catch cans with no PCV valve. This way air plenum and intake vacuum is pulled from both valve covers at all times under all conditions and all air coming from the crankcase goes thru an oil/air separator first before entering the engine to be consumed in the combustion chamber.

Now, to just find a couple affordable catch can separators and ways to plumb them to each valve cover opening.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 AM

A -12 AN bulkhead fits the stock valve cover hole size perfectly I think it's 1.25 IIRC. I am running a single puke tank routed to one valve cover with an oil fill plug to seal the other. The crankcase is common from bank to bank, so I think I should be ok. -12 is huge.

I read that bible too, and it helped make sense of it all. I stalked build photos on DSE's site and saw they consistently used one puke tank, so I figured if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. Simplifies plumbing and reduces cost, too.

Hopefully it works well. I'm still in the build stage.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Glad you posted this, Lance. I'm wanting to make sure I get mine setup correctly too since my engine is due back soon.

I've got one of Mike Norris's catch cans on order now. It's a nice piece. I'll be hard lining mine since I have room to mount it on the front of the motor near where the factory PVC lines already run.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims