Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 01-26-2018, 09:16 PM

A 5th gen camaro e38 os will not support pwm. But a truck e38 os will. Also the e92 silverado controller will only support pwm at 100hertz. No discrete on the new stuff factory os.. The gmpp e92 controller will support discrete only. Its all super confusing and testing is the only way to know for sure. Lot of misinformation out there. I use an oscilloscope at work to see the signals. To get ac control the computer needs to get a serial on request from the bcm. We have a module the sends that signal along with tap shift commands for gen iv and gen v. This control the fan based on ac pressure as well. Works perfectly.

Last edited by vannatta20; 01-26-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannatta20 View Post
A 5th gen camaro e38 os will not support pwm. But a truck e38 os will. Also the e92 silverado controller will only support pwm at 100hertz. No discrete on the new stuff factory os.. The gmpp e92 controller will support discrete only. Its all super confusing and testing is the only way to know for sure. Lot of misinformation out there. I use an oscilloscope at work to see the signals. To get ac control the computer needs to get a serial on request from the bcm. We have a module the sends that signal along with tap shift commands for gen iv and gen v. This control the fan based on ac pressure as well. Works perfectly.
Thanks for the reply. I figured out the camaro OS won't do it. However, the Spal fans come with their own PWM controller built in so it was a non issue. They come on around 165* and by 185* are full speed.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
Thanks for the reply. I figured out the camaro OS won't do it. However, the Spal fans come with their own PWM controller built in so it was a non issue. They come on around 165* and by 185* are full speed.
Spal fans with built in PWM controller? Could you post a part number and/or some details?

Thanks,
Don
Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Default Spal with PWM controller

All of the DC brushless Spal fans (and most other brushless DC [BLDC] fans) have a built in motor controller. This is required because you can't just PWM the power to a BLDC motor - you need to control each coil in order to start the motor and control the motor speed and then you need to monitor the feedback in a sensorless motor to know speed (or have a separate speed sensor).

Spal offers temperature sensors that output the frequency and duty cycle signals the BLDC Spal fan is expecting to see. NOTE - two different control logic configurations exist in the Spal aftermarket and OEM BLDC fans. Spal makes two different versions of the temperature sensors for this reason. Make sure you get the correct sensor for your fan type.

Other companies also make devices that can read a conventional temperature sensor (and in some cases other sensor signals) and then output the PWM and duty cycle signal the BLDC Spal (and other) fans are looking for.

Some heavy duty truck and industrial brushless motor fans require an external brushless motor controller. I am not aware of any current OEM passenger light duty vehicles that use this type of brushless fan control configuration though.

The Spal brushless DC fans are looking for a PWM signal that is a low level speed control signal. You are not actually connecting directly to the motor on these fans - you are connecting to the motor controller that is built into the motor assembly. These types of fans usually have 3 or 4 pins. Two small terminals and two much larger terminals. One small terminal is the speed control signal input, the two larger terminals are the high current power and ground and the fourth (if it exists) is a diagnostic signal wire. In most systems you do not have to connect anything to that fourth wire for the fan to operate correctly.

Because this speed control signal is a PWM signal people often confuse this with PWM control of a conventional brush type fan which is not at all the same. In PWM controlled brush type DC fans you are turning on and off the power to the motor at fairly high frequency so the device performing the PWM of the power has to be able to handle high current loads.

In the BLDC fans the PWM speed control signal is a low level speed control signal so it is very low current. All of the motor drive current is on the main two power wires that are connected directly to the battery (usually with a fuse but without a relay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Spal fans with built in PWM controller? Could you post a part number and/or some details?

Thanks,
Don

Jason Haines
Product & Service Solutions LLC
[email protected]
www.proservsolutions.com
http://stores.ebay.com/productservicesolutions
Old 01-29-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Thanks,
Don
This is what the invoice shows:
7-30107102 - 14" Spal Drop In Sealed Brushless Puller Fan (Plus Series) 500W 50Amp Maxi Fuse 2395 CFM

7-SBL-TS-HARN - SPAL Brushless Fan Interface Harness Kit

7-SBL-TS185P - SPAL Brushless (Plus Series) Temp Sensor-12V/24V (Minimum "on" Speed at 165 Degrees / Increasing to 100% "Full" Speed at 185 Degrees

7-SBL-YAZ-PT10 Brushless Fan Jumper Harness PigTail Yazaki Connector For Drop

The temp sensor was $145 alone

I bought a complete radiator setup with shroud, two fans, wiring, etc from Wizard Cooling in New York.

I had to reroute the cold side piping on my turbo setup because the new radiator was thicker than the OEM radiator.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannatta20 View Post
So I would like to run 2 spal brushless fans on my C10 build running an E92. I currently have A GMPP kit.
So with all this, it looks like need to track down a Silverado ECM and transfer the program from my GMPP controller?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:47 AM

Has anyone gotten one of the 2017 CTS-V / Camaro fans to work? I bought one and I'm trying to to get it to work with my 2010 Colorado E67. I changed the fan settings to PWM EV, and 100 hz, but I can't get it to do anything. Does anyone have any details on getting this fan to work. It should be a sweet fan if I can get it working.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 PM

Is anyone running the C6 fan controller, E38 ECU, and a trunk mounted battery? I'm running OS 12628990 from a 2009 Vette, have set my fan to PWM Electric and adjusted the fan % with EFIlive (keeping max % at 89.9%).

As the car warms up, the fans will come on to a low setting for about 5 seconds and then turn off. The fan will not stay on as coolant temp rises, and I'll shut the car off around 225F as the fan are not operating properly.

Did you run the C6 fan controller power directly to the trunk mount battery and not to an underhood 12V distribution block? I have mine run off a 150amp circuit breaker /distribution block with a 60amp inline fuse between the controller and distribution block. The other side of the breaker is wired to the alternator.

Does anyone know if the PWM frequency can be adjusted with EFI live? I had a Delta Current Controls PWM controller with engine bay mounted battery and it worked well with the same dual Spal fans last year.

Thank you!

Last edited by VTtransam; 05-15-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:33 PM

Default 2018 LT4 Connect and Cruise

I am trying to use a Factory ZL1 camaro fan. I have vintage air as well.

Any one have any success controlling the PWM fan as intended?

Thank you in advance.

Thom
Old 11-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSpeed View Post
I am trying to use a Factory ZL1 camaro fan. I have vintage air as well.

Any one have any success controlling the PWM fan as intended?

Thank you in advance.

Thom
Thom,

I have no direct experience with what you are doing, but I have some educated guesses. From what I understand, the ZL1 fans have the controller built into the fan. The connector (Yazaki) has two large pins for power and a small pin for the PWM signal wire. Again, from what I understand, you should be able to configure the ECM to send a PWM- signal to the fan and it should work. I would use the same settings of 128Hz and input the duty cycle table as with the C6 Corvette application.

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel