Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-26-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
The best time for seeing the cars is in the evening.
Perfect! thank you. I will spend the morning at the lake then head out.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:13 AM

Stick to the lake--get around to the CA side (includes Emerald Bay). If you're into hiking, there is awesomeness everywhere, plus there's the rim trail that puts you well above the lake. Even if you don't do the hiking thing, so long as you can avoid some of the stupid traffic jams full of literally everyone in the world, the driving views are still quite gnarly all around the lake (even while sitting in traffic in parts of South Lake Tahoe). Check out Donner Lake (and museum for cannibalism-related history) down 80 from Reno. There's so much more granite than suburban countertops could ever reveal . . .

As for Reno, prepare for a massive cluster at HAN. It will be hot, dirty, and crowded, but know that Reno is not all it appears to be at that point. Reno is actually now quite expensive, as it has become the next frontier of Bay Area real estate valuation (hence the commensurate hotel prices that may not only be event-centric). Sneer at the dirt and skankiness, but know that the guy in the Ferrari lives just over the freeway in a swell beige mcmansion . . .

If you're driving, there's a decent cars & coffee event every Saturday morning in Folsom (off of 50). I'd go to that before going to HAN.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:59 PM

As covered by everyone else, it all applies. It will be HOt during the day, and it’s all in asphalt parking lots, so evening/night is better. A lot of the nicer cars are downtown, also where the worst crowds/people are. I usually swing by the Atlantis, Grand Sierra, and Victorian Square in Sparks for car browsing.
It’s really just a huge spread out car show. The drag racing and autocross are not serious events. And you will see a lot of basic hot rods, but that’s what it is.

I live right over the hill from Incline off of Mt.Rose highway (Hwy 431) in Reno so I go because it’s convenient and still fun to watch the cruises and see some cars.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtotheIKEo View Post
As covered by everyone else, it all applies. It will be HOt during the day, and it’s all in asphalt parking lots, so evening/night is better. A lot of the nicer cars are downtown, also where the worst crowds/people are. I usually swing by the Atlantis, Grand Sierra, and Victorian Square in Sparks for car browsing.
It’s really just a huge spread out car show. The drag racing and autocross are not serious events. And you will see a lot of basic hot rods, but that’s what it is.

I live right over the hill from Incline off of Mt.Rose highway (Hwy 431) in Reno so I go because it’s convenient and still fun to watch the cruises and see some cars.
I went for years because it WAS the show on the West Coast (Pre Good-Guys really kicking in) -- and my Grandparents lived in Jacks Valley / Carson City.... was a lot of fun for a very long time. I'd still go if they were still alive....

Charlie doesn't like me ragging on the show -- but I want people to get an honest opinion before they spend their time and money.... if they want to go and think it's great AWESOME! But I'm not going to be the guy that does a sales pitch job on somebody, and from then on - they'll never respect your opinion. That's just not me.

Lots and lots of people go every year and have a great time. They want the gambling - the booze - the crowds and the cars. Okay.... I'm fine with that.

There's something to do for everyone.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:10 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 495 Posts

Reno will have over 5000 cars versus a couple hundred at the Folsom cars and coffee so no comparison. The trick is to find air conditioned stuff to do in the day. Big Boys Toys, Auction, swap meet in the morning. Outside stuff in the evenings.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:23 PM

I agree Greg. We have the same posts on this subject every year. Reno is changing though, downtown during the biggest event of the year isn’t an accurate representation of the town. But it’s not fair to judge Reno based on that.

I make it a point to go to Atlantis every year just to see Charlie’s car and stare at it for 15 minutes. Certainly one of the highlights for me. Mostly though it’s just nice to see old cars out driving around, casually parked all over town. I drive my Camaro every day here during the summer and hardly ever see other classics being driven.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Reno will have over 5000 cars versus a couple hundred at the Folsom cars and coffee so no comparison. The trick is to find air conditioned stuff to do in the day. Big Boys Toys, Auction, swap meet in the morning. Outside stuff in the evenings.

All fact!

I stayed at The Atlantis -- you can park your car securely in their lot -- and you can walk out the side door and right over to the auction for the day (and A/C).... at night bring your chair and find a spot and enjoy.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
and the poor choices for "fine dinning"
Jimboys Tacos has many locations!
Old 07-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I agree Greg. We have the same posts on this subject every year. Reno is changing though, downtown during the biggest event of the year isn’t an accurate representation of the town. But it’s not fair to judge Reno based on that.

I make it a point to go to Atlantis every year just to see Charlie’s car and stare at it for 15 minutes. Certainly one of the highlights for me. Mostly though it’s just nice to see old cars out driving around, casually parked all over town. I drive my Camaro every day here during the summer and hardly ever see other classics being driven.

I see him enough.... ‘cause I use his place as a dumping ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:

My Mother in law is off of Callahan Ranch Rd, u nearby? I still haven't been to this show, albeit she works registration or something....I'd like to take the Camaro up there one of these years...