Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2012, 11:20 PM

Great story and awesome car Sieg
Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 AM

More on the T56 install. First I need to mention this wouldn't have been possible without the help of a good friend whom I met through Bob. He was the executor of Bob's estate and an avid hot-rodder. He has been more than generous storing my car for the past 3 years in one of the shops at his house. The drive on lift and his assistance and guidance made the project substantially easier than solo in my garage on jack stands. Even though I had to travel 15-20 minutes one way to his shop the lift and space were well worth the travel.

One thing I learned about the T56 1st Gen F body install is many people say they will fit without cutting the tunnel. After multiple trial fits and measurements there must be quite a difference in the floor pans from factory to factory. With a drivetrain angle of 2.25-2.5* downward and new full height sub-frame mounts mine was a full 1/2" high at the shifter cover bolts on the right side. Access to the top bolts on Quicktime scatter shield was also very tight, 3' extention with a wobble end just barely fit.

This is the final clearance after manipulating the tunnel with bottle jacks and wood blocks.

I built this cover to gain clearance and also access to the shifter

Another thing I learned........

When levering the sub-frame down to squeeze the cross-member into position make sure the pry-bar doesn't lose it's bite.
I had no idea how fast my hands really are.

A strategically placed fabric band-aid stopped the bleeding during what ended up being a 14 hour thrash. Cleaned it up when I got home and used butterfly closures for a few days. I should have sutured or super glued it as I now have a life long scar as a reminder of my personal one-punch azz-kicking.......and a little dain bramage.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 AM

Keep it coming!! I slipped with a Tq wrench once on a flywheel bolt and got 12 to the stitches chin. Glad you're alright

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Ouch! My T56 hits y floor also. Im grinding off the little ear tabs that are hitting.

65 Fastback "Maddo" @ Meanstreets Performance. Ridetech, crate 306/T5, tubbed, Forgeline
Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 AM

Besides the anticipated tunnel clearance mods the only real issue we had with the install was the throw-out bearing shipped with the kit from Hurst Drivelines......too long

Hurst responded promptly and shipped me a Mcleod adjustable at no charge.

Other than having to cut the tacks on the exhaust system, R&R the tranny and kick my own azz the install went pretty well.

So moving right along, I've fought a leaking front timing cover to oil pan seal since I've had the car. Decided while the tranny was out to replace the cover and pan with Milodon units and a Felpro one piece silcone gasket. We could squeeze the motor up just enough to get the pan out between the crank and cross member. One ficken problem, the windage tray would clear the oil pump pick-up.

Nothing a little cutting can't fix.......I saved the piece so in the future it can be tacked back in. I used black permagasket silicone on the front and rear seals when we reinstalled the pan and all went well.

So the first test drive I find out it's leaking worse than before.....WTF! I call Milodon and was informed their gasket has a little more material at the front an rear seals than Felpro's............. So at some point in the near future the motor will be coming out and the pan will be mounted with a Milodon gasket and The Right Stuff. Did I mention that I HATE OIL LEAKS!?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:39 AM

One thing leads to another..........

POR 15'd

Dynamat Extreme and new carpet

Back together again

I also went to the local crafts store and bought some vinyl and sewed up a shift boot. FWIW - I used an O-ring to secure the top.

One thing I did to add additional sound deadening was cut out panels of 1/2 felted wool commercial carpet pad and fit in the backside of the rear seat panels. I feel it was well worth it, as the tail pipe noise is reduced about 50% now. Even though at first I wasn't sure if I liked it so quiet, but now I can actually hear someone during a phone call.

Last edited by Sieg; 04-16-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 AM

Nice story and am looking forward to your next update already.
Mark.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 AM

Very Cool Thread.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intocarss View Post
Keep it coming!! I slipped with a Tq wrench once on a flywheel bolt and got 12 to the stitches chin. Glad you're alright
I can relate! I was very careful when torquing the flywheel, it creates multiple potential ops for failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John510 View Post
Ouch! My T56 hits y floor also. Im grinding off the little ear tabs that are hitting.
Dimple the tunnel metal vs hacking on the tranny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpt View Post
Nice story and am looking forward to your next update already.
Mark.
Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwelder62 View Post
Very Cool Thread.
Much appreciated Scott.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM

The line in Christmas Story just came to mind... "you'll put your eye out"

Great progress and congrats !

Jim

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=5109