Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 AM

Question LT-1 advice

I don't know what it is lately with Buick's coming into my life but this new one looks promising, at least for parts. The story....now picking up a 1992 Buick Roadmaster. Turns out it's got an LT-1 motor in it. So i'll be driving the car home and stripping it down. I think it'll be a great motor for a project especially since it's not costing me a dime. I'll take out the transmission, wiring harness and anything else I can get my hands on that I think i'll be able to use in the project.

I don't have much experience with these motors other than knowing the exact same was available in the last great Impala 94-96. Given it was a little different from the 'vette motors to gain added torque in place of horsepower I figure it'll be ok in an old school project.

Now I do plan to do a rebuild on the motor. What steps should I take to fortify it? I'd like to make a reasonable amount of power and torque but have to ensure it's as reliable as possible. What works with these power plants? What doesn't?

Anything else I should grab outta the car before i scrap the shell? Frame worth keeping?