Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 09-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Default My 71 Firebird - untamable

Here's a few pics of my 71 bird that's been a love hate battle since we met. It's currently Ls3 4L60e powered with Ridetech suspension, Wilwood brakes, etc. Trying to make a comfortable, daily drivable, amateur corner carver out of this thing. Not sure it's going to happen without a battle.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:46 PM

You gotta share more man. Interior, backstory, etc.

I dig Pontiacs and I'm not alone.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
Here's a few pics of my 71 bird that's been a love hate battle since we met. It's currently Ls3 4L60e powered with Ridetech suspension, Wilwood brakes, etc. Trying to make a comfortable, daily drivable, amateur corner carver out of this thing. Not sure it's going to happen without a battle.

A battle? Is that what it's called. More like true love brother! All our cars give us a battle - why we love them. Love the early 2nd gen birds. If money was all around me, and it isn't be one in my short list of cars. I agree with Jim - defenately more pics and back story required. All the best with your build bud, I'll be watching...
Old 09-07-2015, 07:04 PM

Well, I've been a car guy since I could walk and have had a few cars here and there, but when the pro-touring/g-machine thing happened, I knew that's what I wanted. I was never able to really get started putting anything together. I had a few very close calls in a row at work a couple of years ago and r4eally came to understand the 'life's too short' saying.

I started looking around, not too seriously, but had some ideas on what I wanted. I was looking for a 73 mainly because I love Albert Melchoir's car. I stumbled upon this 71 that had a very early Holly TBI injected 400 with a 200R4. We made a deal and it became mine. While it ran good, I soon wanted more.

I again started not too seriously looking for an Ls drivetrain. Came across a wrecked 13,000 mile Corvette and was able to get the motor. I turned to PSi for advice on a trans and harness. Since I didn't want (nor was capable) of cutting the tunnel, a 4L60e was chosen.

I had accumulated a few gift cards from Summit over years of Father's day's, birthdays and Christmases to be able to pick up Holley headers, motor mounts, etc. I was able to get the car running (lot's of 'hey this was supposed to just fit/work' but didn't).

Been battling tuning it as it doesn't run right. Took it to a local well known shop who blamed the harness for a misfire, which actually was the fault of the base tune that was in the car.

The car has Ridetech suspension, Wilwood brakes, DSE body mounts, DSE steering box, Circle wheels, Spectra EFI tank, Griffin radiator (because the BeCool somehow sprung a leak), etc. The interior now has Speedhut gauges and I had Randy Combs redo the bezel (outstanding work and highly recommended). Sue Serafinski did a Formula wheel for me (also awesome work). Otherwise, it's basically not together yet.

I'd like to someday get that all straightened out and be able to afford Vintage Air and a host of other mods, but for now, I'd love to just get it tuned so it'll run as it should. I never thought it would take since February to get it tuned and issues with the suspension sorted out. I know it'll all come together as it should. Just an amateur dad playing around in the garage hoping to enjoy it sooner than later.

here are a few more pics:

Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM

Sounds very familiar! Well you are definitely off to a great start.
The whole car is in front of you (assembled) and its a matter of taking it to the next level of G-machinessssss….
Old 09-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Very nice, you will have a very good looking car when you get the tune sorted. Like Ummgawa I have an affinity for 2nd gen Firebirds and will be keeping an eye on this one. Hope you get it sorted out and enjoying it soon!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:26 PM

No such thing as too few (oops, MANY!!) pictures.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:50 PM

Nice to see another 'bird!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummgawa View Post
No such thing as too few pictures.
Too few? We need MOAR!
Old 09-07-2015, 08:18 PM

Thanks all. Definitely a lot of inspiration on these forums!