Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM

Default 65 Mustang - Injected65

I figured I would stop lurking and start a build thread.

The Background:

I bought this 1965 Mustang back in 1993 (if my failing memory serves me right). It was horribly beat up from a partial roll over accident years before. Thankfully it was cheap and my mother didn't kill me for tying up her garage. Over the course of a couple of years with my fathers help we restored the car and I drove it my senior year of high school and through the first couple years of college as my daily driver.

Towards the end of college I converted the car over to EFI using factory 5.0L Ford parts. This was back in the early days before plug and play harnesses and such. I started using "Injected65" as my online name in those days and it has stuck all these year later. I finished up college and moved to Kansas City where the car sat for some time due to a wiped cam lobe.

Fast forward a decade and I finally made the decision to restore the car again, but this time instead of a factory resto I decided to give it some late model suspension and definitely a kick in the horsepower pants. The goal for the car is to be able to drive on the power tour with my dad and have it be fast, fun and reliable.

Past Pictures

Resto #2

I started off by deciding that I wanted to put a big block Ford engine into the car. That combined with my hatred for the stock worn out suspension led me to install a Rod & Custom front end.

Then I had the car blasted down to bare metal and had a guy that I used to work with put on new quarters and min tub the car.

After a falling out with the previous friend/body guy I now have the car back in my hands and am working with a good friend in KC to finish up the body work this fall. Right now I am working on finishing up the R&C front end and also working on a AJE 4-link rear suspension.

Epoxy primed under carriage

2012 Mustang GT 13.2" Front Brakes

Test wheels to measure for rear end housing

That's about it for now. I still need to download some pictures from my camera from this weeks work. I also have commissioned a rendering of the completed car, but I have not finalized the rendering details yet. As soon as I have some more details I will post them.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-16-2012, 12:49 AM

looks like a great build. im glad you have the patience and will to do a second restoration on the car. shows a lot of love for it! keep up the good work.

www.facebook.com/royalworksspeedshop
www.royalworksspeedshop.com
Old 06-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Here is a picture of the front mock up wheel. Its a 2012 Mustang GT wheel, 19X8.5 with a 245/45 tire. The tire is a bit taller than I plan on running, but it gives me a good idea what I will need for the new wheels.

Chris
Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM

I guess I should also list out some of the specs on the new build:

Engine:
521" BBF
Stock Block
Scat Crank
Eagle Rods
Probe pistons
Jon Kaase P-51 Heads
Jon Kaase spec'd solid roller cam
Single plane intake converted for EFI
Innovators West serpentine drive system

Transmission:
T-56 6 speed
Quicktime bellhousing

Suspension:
Rod & Custom Mustang II front suspension
AJE 4-link rear suspension
Narrowed 8.8" Ford rear end
Ford 31 spline Trac loc
Lightened and REM finished 4.10 gears

Here is a pic of the mock up motor mine is being built off of. I will use a stock steel block instead of the aluminum block, but otherwise it will be very similar.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Here is the rendering that I had done for the car. I hope to have the car on the ground and rolling again here in the next couple of weeks. Then I can take it outside and get some new roller pictures.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Keep up the good work. Rendering looks sweet. I thought is was funny how you said "after falling out with the previous friend/body guy. " Hahahaha...sometimes friends and business do not mix well. Oh and you can throw family in that mix too. Sad, but true.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:38 PM

Yeah it was a bad deal. One of those no problem I will knock it out in a couple of months. Then I got the car back 17 months later, not finished, the work done was barely acceptable and now I need to spend even more money getting it to the point he promised it would come back to me. Live and learn I guess.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looks like a handfull. That Jon Kaase Lima motor is going to produce plenty of hp and torque.

What are you shooting for in tire size out back?

Subframe connectors? I didn't see them on your list.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FETorino View Post

Subframe connectors? I didn't see them on your list.
With that big block you will need at a minimum subframes connectors or it will twist the unibody like a wet noodle.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM

I have a set of Global West subframe connectors standing in the corner waiting to be installed. I'm also considering a basic 6 point roll bar since it will help stiffen up the car even more and the car should easily be quick enough to need one if I were to take it to the track.

The "buddy" that did the mini tub didn't notch the frame rail and take the tubs inward as far as I had requested so it looks like I will be limited to a 285-295 tire. I was originally wanting a 315 tire, but without having to go in and cut out everything I just paid to have done it doesn't look like that wide of a tire will fit. Once the rear end and suspension are mounted I am going to trim the quarter lips and remeasure though.