Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 09-26-2017, 08:25 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default C5/6 "Upright" Alternative

As many of you may know already, I offer Hybrid Full Floater kits for nearly all popular types of rears.
Weld-On Kit - https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=52443
Bolt on Big Ford Kit - https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=49657
Bolt on GM 10/12 Bolt - https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=52854
Bolt on Moser 7900 type end - https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53767
Or visit my site http://www.millerbuiltusa.com/

All my kits utilize the C7 Corvette hub bearing unit and are compatible with C5/6/7 brake packages (both OEM and aftermarket).
With that said, I have had multiple clients express their interest in running OEM C7 Corvette brakes which is not a problem on my rear Full Floater kits however, if you are currently running an aftermarket front suspension such as DSE, Roadster Shop, Art Morrison, etc. that utilize the C5/6 knuckles/spindles you are unable to run the latest OEM (Brembo) C7 brakes.
No one that I know as of now offers this, and just as the C5/6 OEM brake packages have become ever so popular on our classic cars over the years I think the OEM C7 Corvette brakes will become just as popular a retro-fit...

The quickest and easiest way ideally would be to simply utilize the current OEM C7 Upright if at all possible since these pieces are readily available and very cost effective. Like others often do, I started with the good ol' internet to see what I could find on this subject. Based on all the discussions I found, the C5/6 uprights differed too greatly from the latest C7 and could not be interchanged due to irreconcilable suspension/steering geometry differences. Always taking the Internet with a grain of salt and with a minimal goal of at least creating a caliper bracket of sort, I went ahead and purchased a C7 Upright so I could see for myself what all would be involved to possibly create a direct bolt in replacement for current C5/6 Upright users.

The purpose of this retrofit you may ask?

1) Stronger, more rigid design when compared to the C5/6 varient
2) Allows usage of all OEM/Aftermarket C7 Corvette brake packages
3) Allows usage of all OEM/Aftermarket C5/6 Corvette brake packages (when MillerBuilt Caliper Bracket Adaptor is used)
4) Perfect compliment to the MillerBuilt rear Hybrid Full Floater Sytems
5) Transforms your current "C5/6" based front clip into the latest "C7" front clip
6) Readily available & very cost effective should one need to be replaced for any reason
7) Cool factor by utilizing the latest OEM offering!

What did I find and is this possible? What I found is they are nearly identical in every way with the exception of a few minor details that will not affect suspension/steering geometry (steering because "we" cut these off anyhow and utilize modular bolt-ons to accommodate each manufactures designs).

I am still in the process of how I will address some of the finer details but wanted to share as I progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MillerBuilt; 09-27-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 PM

Bear with me, this is a rough prototype of the caliper bracket/adaptor that will be offered should you only be interested in the rigidity the C7 Upright itself offers and would like to retain your current C5/6 (OEM or Aftermarket) brake package!

Of course if it is both the rigidity of the C7 Upright AND the latest C7 brake packages,,,, you would not require this bolt-on C5/6 brake adaptor...

Options options

Last edited by MillerBuilt; 09-27-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Couple pics showing the enormous C6 ZR1 caliper bolted to the structurally rigid C7 Knuckle via the MillerBuilt caliper bracket adaptor. This bracket will allow you to utilize any brake package made to fit the C5/6 Corvette. So yes, guys with current brake packages on their existing C5/6 based front suspensions such as DSE, Roadster Shop, Art Morrison, etc. can simply swap their existing brakes onto the more structurally rigid C7 Upright.

Also note in the second picture, the usage of the OEM wheel speed sensor wire harness bracket that sandwiches between the Hub Bearing Unit and the Upright and arches over the top of the steering arm area. Not relevant for most Pro Tour cars since most do not utilize ABS,Traction Control,etc. but some do, as well as the Corvette crowd will... Either way I just wanted to show this feature is not an issue.

Last edited by MillerBuilt; 09-27-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 AM

Place Saver
Old 09-27-2017, 09:35 AM

Place Saver 2
Old 09-27-2017, 09:36 AM

Place Saver 3