Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

After having seen the setup ----- I'm wondering if you're not giving too much up in an effort to keep the motorhome inside. What about a "nice" carport cover out the back side door -- and a wooden fence/screen with gates for quick access) so you're not seeing the side of the motorhome from the pool etc - and it would keep the sun off it etc. If you have no project going - the MH could come inside -- but if you have a big project or need the room - back it out under the covered carport for a month or whatever time you'd need.

It could sit on compacted gravel -- or those cement blocks - buried to ground level with gravel for drainage...

Just thinking out loud here buddy.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:17 PM

You have to remember Greg, about 60% of the reason I'm even getting a new house plus shop is to have a place to store the RV inside. Heat is a killer to the inside of an RV and my RV being dark in color makes it even worse. Plus, if I put up any kind of a shed or cover in that back area, the legs of it would make it too difficult to move other things around like car trailers, other cars\RVs or whatever. Heck, I'm halfway concerned about being able to back my long arsed truck and car trailer up into the slot between the RV garage and fence. That flat area behind the shop is only roughly 50' x 50'.

The RV is a small part of the space inside really and it has wheels...which makes that part easier. Heck, I could park TWO RVs side by side up against that back door and not take up much more room for my other stuff than one RV does. The trick is just getting whichever lift I choose far enough away from the East wall (or things along that wall) while still being able to get a vehicle on and off the lift.

I'm talking with a Bendpak sales rep now and am learning about their adjustable locks on the posts which make leveling it a lot more easy than the other types of drive on lifts with fixed locks on posts. This would let me angle the lift and fix most of my issues.

Plus I remeasured my truck wheelbase today and came up with a shorter measurement which will help as well.

Today's progress pics...

See that black PVC pipe with the brown paint on it? That is the clean out for the drains in the RV bath that I was going to extend over to beside the back door and use as an RV dump.

I take one day off from going up and this happens... Had I been there I could have just had the guys setting the pool equipment plumbing set it up a foot further away from the building...but NOOO...
Old 01-30-2018, 06:19 PM

Guess who is learning how to 3D draw?

Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I'm not touching that......

OH man , I am laughing my ass off...

You guys...

My 68 Torino
Old 02-23-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I'm trying now to decide if I can squeeze my office into the back area between the bath and the back garage door.

Imagine a mezzanine built the same height at the bathroom ceiling covering the area between the bath and garage door, open, no walls, just a corner post. The desk and file cabinets under it with a set of stairs going up on the front towards front doors.

This would let me put my tool box under said steps, move the lift way toward the back (and possibly make it super easy to get level) letting me be more creative with placement of lift from the outside wall.

That small area just might work out pretty well for my office freeing up a bunch of other more usable space.
Very Nice Setup!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:44 AM

Thanked 1,268 Times in 480 Posts

Are those all manual valves on the pool equipment ?
Old 02-24-2018, 08:46 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Looking good Lance! I'll be back down in March.... and you'll almost be moved in by then.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Are those all manual valves on the pool equipment ?
I haven't been orientated on the operation of my first pool ever yet, but I do know I paid a fairly handsome price for some sort of electronic hand held do-wha-hickey that is supposed to let me completely run the whole pool setup from the comfort of my recliner inside the house. So I'm gonna guess the answer to your question is "no".
Old 02-24-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Looking good Lance! I'll be back down in March.... and you'll almost be moved in by then.
Thanks Greg... Anyway you can reschedule that trip to the weekend of April 14th? We're looking for a few good men to help unload the storage units...

I need to post some updated pics, the house has come a long way recently. The shop not so much, it's pretty much ready for final cleanup and move in.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:53 AM

So this is how we are going to lay the shop out. I moved the tool box and tool chest to the middle of the floor and the lift closer to the wall to line it up with the door. There was lots of room in the middle and there is no law that says a tool box must be against a wall, so it only made sense.

I also added another Ikea corner desk and some shelves above the desk area for my office. I'll probably hand make the upper shelves to make best available use of the space and fit it to all of my office equipment needs. My goal is to keep everything off the floor except the feet and legs of the tables. The TV will go on that bathroom wall just to the left of my desk area along with the stereo.

All of the big movable tools will line the wall on the left hand side behind the RV (engine stands, engine hoists, welders, presses etc). I'll park the RV close to the front door most of the time and the 20' or so behind the RV across from the bath will become my "dirty work" area with a large rolling steel work table with welders, grinders and such on or under it.

The heat pump air handler will sit on a base beside the water heater and have a duct that comes up to just higher than the bathroom ceiling and point out toward the center of the shop. The area on top of the bathroom will be for long term storage of things I won't ever use but I'll have to use a ladder to get up there.