Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 AM

Thanks Marty!

Greg- Lol! Yep it is Killer. Yeah, it's sad that so many cars have short cuts and slap together builds. I'll bet a good portion of the cars that roll through auctions are like that. I used to think that it was the cheap work of the shops but I now see that often it's the owner wanting a million dollar car on a fast food budget and bondo bandits are the only compromise. Luckily many of these cars circulate into the hands of folks that have the budget to bring them to shops where we can start fresh and do it right this time around. As the guy that gets to take the pics I really enjoy seeing that happen, and knowing another muscle car will be done right and good to go for years and years.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:11 PM

Another factor is some cars (like mine) were repaired by collision shops in the 70's when these cars had nothing beyond daily driver value and zero aftermarket parts availability. Getting the car on the back road quickly was the first priority with low cost being the second.

One of the old timers I know told me how a place he worked would bang out the dents with a slide hammer, big mallets and other rough house tools then lather on the bondo like frosting a cake. When it was dry they would file and sand their creation until it looked close enough. The car would be sent to him to spray and ship out the door. If they did replace a panel, lap seams and mud were the name of the game. At several places he worked in that era it was all about speed and the bosses would fire guys who weren't fast enough.

Either way it still boils down to quality taking a distant second place to quantity.

Thankfully shops like yours and several others actually care about the cars they build and the customers they serve. Thank you for that and thank you for sharing some really nice work.

Last edited by gofastwclass; 11-08-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:15 AM

Great point of view, thanks for sharing. Whatever the reason this sort of work takes place, we're grateful we're in a position to help take these cars to a higher level of build and restoration and preserve and improve a bit of our country's automotive history.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 PM

Speaking personally, but I feel my opinion is shared on this topic... I would like to give a big thank you to your team, the other builders / shops, suppliers and individuals too numerous to individually name who make this hobby possible. Especially to the ones who push the limits from time to time and share their findings with the masses.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM

Amen to that.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:02 PM

We've been distracted a bit with prepping for the Good Guys show in Scottsdale this weekend, but I wanted to share this shot too until we get back on the car full throttle. Jerem'ys building some inserts for the hood, and notice he's using a hexagon mesh. The same mesh will replace the factory grill and you'll see that pattern throughout the car. More coming soon!

Old 11-28-2017, 11:02 AM

Karl's Camaro is now in the body shop area getting the sheet metal worked out. For those not so familiar with what it takes to achieve a high end finish on a car this photo does a great job of illustrating the hours that potentially go into it. Even with brand new 1/4 panels it's almost surprising how ripply the metal can be. You can see some slight manufacturing impressions in the sanded areas and some more prominent areas got a little hammer and dolly and a skim coat of filler to be worked to get that show perfect laser straight finish. More coming soon!

Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 PM

Nice progress. There are hours invested in hanging quarters properly and even more hours in making them show car straight.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:01 AM

Love the hood. Can’t wait to see it finished
Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 AM

Thanks fellas!

Key body work is now done and then it moved over to the paint booth for the first spray of primer. Next up, lots and lots of block sanding...