Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

In process of semi-smoothing the undercarriage. Not going overboard but just a few days with some Everglass to make sure the welds are sealed and improve the look before Raptor.
Attached Images

My Build Thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=53320
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goosesdad For This Useful Post:
OLDFLM (12-09-2019), syborg tt (07-22-2020)
Old 12-09-2019, 05:38 PM

Looks great man.
The Following User Says Thank You to two-piece For This Useful Post:
alex n (12-09-2019)
Old 01-04-2020, 10:14 PM

Fab'd up some side mounts for the fuel tank so I can eliminate the tank straps.
Name:  aa1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  70.5 KB

Shaved off part of the front mounting bracket for the tank strap to add a little more room for the exhaust. Only gained a 1/2" but it may help later.
Name:  aa2.jpg
Size:  80.3 KB

Using Ridetech's universal billet gas cap, took a bit to make it work but I think it's worth it. It's a really nice piece.... will be a shame to cover it with the license plate!
Name:  aa3.jpg
Size:  88.2 KB

Cleaned it up
Name:  aa4.jpg
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  aa5.jpg
Size:  57.5 KB

Had to raise the access port a bit to clear the new filler body and provide room for the filler neck vent port.
Name:  aa6.jpg
Size:  47.1 KB

Made this little box to reseal this area up. I made an opening for access to the filler neck vent port, just to provide a visual later to make sure it doesn't leak. I'll make a gasketed cover for this opening later.
Name:  aa7.jpg
Size:  85.3 KB

Welded in and epoxied. A little seam sealer after the epoxy cures. I still need to modify the filler neck to get it to align with the fuel tank....next week.
Name:  aa8.jpg
Size:  61.7 KB

My Build Thread:
The Following User Says Thank You to Goosesdad For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-28-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 09:40 PM

Finished some smoothing and sealing then resealed the touched areas with another coat of epoxy.
Name:  11a.jpg
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  11b.jpg
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  11c.jpg
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  11d.jpg
Size:  96.4 KB

My Build Thread:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goosesdad For This Useful Post:
camcojb (01-05-2020), syborg tt (12-28-2020), waynieZ (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 04:44 PM

Sweet!

Goosesdad (01-07-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 08:46 PM

It's almost going to be too pretty to flip the car back over.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WSSix For This Useful Post:
Goosesdad (01-07-2020), syborg tt (12-28-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 10:07 PM

Default tools and abrasives

Wow, following this thread and seeing how you clean up those welds is incredible. Mind sharing what tools/ abrasive wheels/ discs you use to smooth out the welds to that finish? I must see this process...especially when trying to smooth out a 90 degree pocket weld.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPZberlinetta View Post
Wow, following this thread and seeing how you clean up those welds is incredible. Mind sharing what tools/ abrasive wheels/ discs you use to smooth out the welds to that finish? I must see this process...especially when trying to smooth out a 90 degree pocket weld.
Thanks! No real voodoo on my end....and to be clear, those latest pics of the bottom of the car have had a bit of body filler to the welds. Did that as much to seal up any small pinholes but it definitely smoothed out some of those areas for looks also. I used Evercoat Everglass, as it's waterproof so it's a good compliment to the epoxy primer for sealing up the under carriage. Raptor coming in the next month or so.

Since I'm less than an expert at making pretty welds and I only use my MIG because I end up needing 5 beers after trying to TIG!.... I've definitely had my share of grinding welds to clean them up. Of course, being careful not to impact the strength of the weld just for aesthetics!

By the way - I'm 1000% sure someone here will have some better/additional advice.... please don't hesitate to chime in here, no issues with me!

When grinding sheet metal welds, I use a 3"x3/16" 3M Green Corps grinding wheel on a straight die grinder. I'm embarrassed that I don't remember the person here on LatG that recommended these to me..but they are awesome for the first level of grind, that person made my life better! Ha. I do that first grind parallel to the bead to keep the wheel from touching down on the base metal. Once it's close, I switch to either a flap disk on an electric grinder or 2", 36 grit disk on an air angle grinder.

For cleaning up welds in corners or wherever, I just use a carbide burr on the same straight die grinder. And finish it up with either the 2" disk and/or cartridge rolls. None of the local shops here in Boise carry those, so I get them online from Empire Abrasives. Don't think there is LatG sponsor that carries them?

Hope that helps a little.

My Build Thread:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goosesdad For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-28-2020), waynieZ (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosesdad View Post
Thanks! No real voodoo on my end....and to be clear, those latest pics of the bottom of the car have had a bit of body filler to the welds. Did that as much to seal up any small pinholes but it definitely smoothed out some of those areas for looks also. I used Evercoat Everglass, as it's waterproof so it's a good compliment to the epoxy primer for sealing up the under carriage. Raptor coming in the next month or so.

Since I'm less than an expert at making pretty welds and I only use my MIG because I end up needing 5 beers after trying to TIG!.... I've definitely had my share of grinding welds to clean them up. Of course, being careful not to impact the strength of the weld just for aesthetics!

By the way - I'm 1000% sure someone here will have some better/additional advice.... please don't hesitate to chime in here, no issues with me!

When grinding sheet metal welds, I use a 3"x3/16" 3M Green Corps grinding wheel on a straight die grinder. I'm embarrassed that I don't remember the person here on LatG that recommended these to me..but they are awesome for the first level of grind, that person made my life better! Ha. I do that first grind parallel to the bead to keep the wheel from touching down on the base metal. Once it's close, I switch to either a flap disk on an electric grinder or 2", 36 grit disk on an air angle grinder.

For cleaning up welds in corners or wherever, I just use a carbide burr on the same straight die grinder. And finish it up with either the 2" disk and/or cartridge rolls. None of the local shops here in Boise carry those, so I get them online from Empire Abrasives. Don't think there is LatG sponsor that carries them?

Hope that helps a little.
I think that might have been me, those grinding wheels are awesome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex n For This Useful Post:
Damerjo (01-10-2020), syborg tt (12-28-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the input on the different tools you are using! I just ordered a couple a those things to try them out. On the metal it almost looks like you have a sanded finish/ has some tooth to it. Is that from the grinding discs or to you go back and sand the metal smooth an orbital or something? Also while making all the panels, are you using a bead roller to stamp in all those strengthening creases? And i promise ill stop asking questions

Last edited by AMPZberlinetta; 01-08-2020 at 07:43 PM.