Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-12-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
I run 550s lb/in in the front. If you put 325 lb/in on the back then my swag not knowing your rear sway bar would be 700 lb/in. On the new Rival S 1.5 with the correct shock valving that is close to what the DSE track cars have on them.

They ride like crap on the street BTW. I trey that setup in Gunner and hated it.

My (soft) set up on Gunner won the Motorstate Challenge road course segment for Vintage last year. I lost the AutoX because you need the 315 tire on the front for AutoX to do real well. And you need to practice AutoX which I don’t do.

Good luck

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark, what does your soft setup consist of? (Tires, springs, etc.) especially when taking a trip like on the GoodGuys Tour. A soft ride would be much better on a tour like this.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Mark,
Each project is a chance to refine something or try something new. Obviously this is the LT5 version, but what other ideas are going into this car that's different from the last?

Jeff-
Old 12-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Default PM Box is Full

Mark,

Your PM box is full... again.

Regards,

Ty
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST
Old 12-19-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I never thought about 3 pumps. That would be easier than the twin Hellcat set up I was planning.

Thanks

Mark
That would work. Three ZL1's and we can do it still using the GM FSCM as the master controller.
kwhizz (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
Mark,

Regards,

Ty
It stays full too... Mark's a wealth of information and I bet he can't keep up with the influx of all of us picking his brain for his knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by 214Chevy; 12-19-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:18 AM

Thanked 1,838 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFLM View Post
Mark,

Regards,

Ty
I cleared it out.

Thanks

Mark
Old 12-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON Q View Post
Mark, what does your soft setup consist of? (Tires, springs, etc.) especially when taking a trip like on the GoodGuys Tour. A soft ride would be much better on a tour like this.
My cars tend to weigh 3500 lbs without driver and 52% front weight. I like a 550 lb/in front spring with DSE standard sway bar. On the rear I like 225 lb/in with DSE 1 1/8 rear bar. The softer rear springs and big bar works well for me. The Goodguys AutoX guys are going to a lot higher spring rates.

The "Normal" DSE JRI shocks double adjustable shocks have enough adjustability to be a OK ride but can be firmed up to be used on track.

My issue with the JRI double adjusts are that you need to pull the front tire to adjust them. You also should lube the adjusters every time you change the oil in your car. The adjusters are mild steel and can corrode very easily, then they lock up. The adjustment system is in my opinion kind of delicate. It requires a pin you stick into the adjuster and then you sweep them to the desired setting by counting "Clicks" or "Sweeps".

I'm trying some new shock with knobs and numbers to see if they will work. I want to be able to drive to an event and be able to set the shocks with pulling a tire. Once we test them I'll let you know if they work out.

Mark

Last edited by Stielow; 12-19-2019 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stielow For This Useful Post:
a6d9cmro (08-17-2020), cpd004 (10-24-2022)
Old 12-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
My cars tend to weigh 3500 lbs without driver and 52% front weight. I like a 550 lb/in front spring with DSE standard sway bar. On the rear I like 225 lb/in with DSE 1 1/8 rear bar. The softer rear springs and big bar works well for me. The Goodguys AutoX guys are going to a lot higher spring rates.

The "Normal" DSE JRI shocks double adjustable shocks have enough adjustability to be a OK ride but can be firmed up to be used on track.

My issue with the JRI double adjusts are that you need to pull the front tire to adjust them. You also should lube the adjusters every time you change the oil in your car. The adjusters are mild steel and can corrode very easily, than they lock up. The adjustment system is in my opinion kind of delicate. It requires a pin you stick into the adjuster and then you sweep them to the desired setting by counting "Clicks" or "Sweeps".

I'm trying some new shock with knobs and numbers to see if they will work. I want to be able to drive to an event and be able to set the shocks with pulling a tire. Once we test them I'll let you know if they work out.

Mark
Thank you Mark!! Great information and very valuable, especially the lubing of the adjusters which one can forget very easily. Can't wait to hear your opinion on the new QA1's and looking forward to the progress you and Matt are doing on your new build.

Jon
Old 12-19-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
Mark,
Each project is a chance to refine something or try something new. Obviously this is the LT5 version, but what other ideas are going into this car that's different from the last?

Jeff-
Jeff

The last 3 builds were no paint required and two were stock engines. I loved Gunner with the stock LT4. That car worked great. I was going to swap it over to LT5 power but I chose to build a whole new car instead.

What's new....

I want to try the new LT5 set up. The Direct Injection in the newer LT engines work great. I was going to leave the LT5 stock then I started to talk to Katech and see the work they are doing with the LT5 stuff.

JackAss 2.0 with the 427 LS9 on E85 ran great. It made 970 HP on E85 and never overheated. I think we can do the same with a LT5 at 6.2 Liters on E85.

On every build we learn something new and I'm just evolving the builds as I go along. Yes it would have been easier to just do another Big LS9 but I've done a few of those now and want to do the LT5. Everything has some small tweeks to fix issues we found on earlier builds.

Some examples:

Hellfire had brake cooling ducts and JA 2.0 did not and Gunner did not. I found out I need brake cooling ducts. JA 2.0 with ABS and Carbon Brakes killed brake pads as well as Gunner with Iron rotors. Matt and I have a new system we hope works.

I finally added data logging to the diff and transmission on Gunner and the data shows I do need to diff cooler if you wan to run more than two 20 minute sessions on a open track day. The transmission did not get as hot but we cool it also. (I will keep the data logging feature on the new build)

The combination of a C&R cooling stack on a stock LT4 will allow you to run a 20 min session on an open track day. Add E85 on the high output stuff and it will also keep things in check. I ran JA 2.0 on a 85 degree day hard and the oil temp was 260 F and the water was 210 F.

E85 fuel is cheap and keeps everything cool on track.

Downside to flow enough fuel (E85) to support 970ish HP you need 2.1 Gallon a Min at 60 PSI. Seem simple right? Try making it work at 1/2 a tank.. This is where I spent a lot of time on the phone with Carl Casanova from VaporWorx. After 5 attempts we got a solution on JA 2.0. 2 complete Hellcat fuel systems controlled by one VaporWorx controller.

Matt at Sled Alley has been key to all the iterations. We evolved the oil dry sump system to the point I feel we have a viable solution. By modifying a Peterson 2 gallon tank to 3 gallon we do not have any oiling issues. Hiding it in the cowl is cool but time consuming.

Driveline angles, we move the trans tunnel up 1.5 inches to get a 1 degree angle on the engine. Seems easy but a lot of fab work.

Just a ton of small details. I enjoy the build and new challenges. New parts and technologies are coming along all the time.

If all goes well I hope to have this car on track in Aug. 2020.

Thanks

Mark
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stielow For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-19-2019), dhutton (12-19-2019), Ketzer (12-19-2019), syborg tt (01-10-2020), WILWAXU (12-20-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 09:20 AM

Installing a C&R Racing Rad.

Trying a new mounting strategy after failing a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk