Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM

Default Carpet, Sound-deadening, and undercoating

Hi,

I need to start thinking about undercoating and the interior of my car.

It has very, very custome floorboards... due to installing C5 'vette suspension under it, and wanting to slam the car as low as possible while maintaining a reasonable ground clearance.

What I'm curious about is how to finish the interior of the car. Obviously a molded carpet kit won't work. Has anyone formed their own? Am I going to have to make a series of pieces to fit around the geometry? If so, what does it take to bind the edges of the carpet to look reasonable? Where can I get carpet?

To a certain point, I can use jute or carpet insulation to bridge over and even out some of the geometry here, of course.

The other option is to use Rhinoliner or something to do the interior. (I intend to coat the underside of the car with it.) But, I can't imagine that will deaden sound very well. I intend to make this a drivable car, one my wife won't absolutely hate riding in.

Thoughs? Experiences?

Thanks
-Nick
Attached Images

Last edited by nickcornilsen; 01-07-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:36 PM

I plan to use raptor-liner underneath my car, but just recently I used it on the interior also.

I wouldn't think it would do much for sound suppression, but it does prevent steel reverberation and helps to seal the cabin up even better. I plan to insulate on top of it and finish with carpet, but my car is a whole lot closer to stock than yours.

There is so much going on in your interior I think foam shaping will be your friend to simplify some of the panels to make carpeting a whole lot easier.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:12 PM

I would suggest using Dynamat Extreme and then installing a layer of 1/4" thick Dynaliner. I did this to mine and it was worth every penny. In my opinion, installing the Dynaliner on to of the Dynamat made a bigger difference then installing the Dynamat on the metal. My car has zero rattles, no road noise and is quite pleasant inside, especially with the windows up.

Once you've got the sound deadener down, I'd suggest making some panels to fill in the "voids" in the floor and level things out a bit...that'll make your life easier with regards to the carpet. I made some filler pieces to go around my subframe connectors to flatten things out and I'm glad I did, has a much tidier look. Just my $.02!
Attached Images

Link to my 68 Camaro build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Link to my 67 Nova build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57769
Old 01-13-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmachine1911 View Post
I would suggest using Dynamat Extreme and then installing a layer of 1/4" thick Dynaliner. I did this to mine and it was worth every penny. In my opinion, installing the Dynaliner on to of the Dynamat made a bigger difference then installing the Dynamat on the metal. My car has zero rattles, no road noise and is quite pleasant inside, especially with the windows up.

Once you've got the sound deadener down, I'd suggest making some panels to fill in the "voids" in the floor and level things out a bit...that'll make your life easier with regards to the carpet. I made some filler pieces to go around my subframe connectors to flatten things out and I'm glad I did, has a much tidier look. Just my $.02!
Shane, that carpet kit looks great, what brand/type did you get and did you need to trim it?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:55 AM

I like to use the dyna mat type stuff first and then the two sided foil with the insulation in between. I just buy it bulk and cut to fit.

As said above fill in the voids so the floors will be flat.

I haven't done it but I think the custom interior guys make the carpet in sections. So the tunnel and floor pieces separate pieces. Then they add ribbing? to the edge to make it look finished. I know locally the carpet shop can add ribbing to custom cut carpet pieces.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
Shane, that carpet kit looks great, what brand/type did you get and did you need to trim it?
Hey Tony, thank you! It's actually not a kit. I initially took it to an upholstery shop on a recommendation, however, the guy did the biggest half-azz job I've ever laid eyes on. When I got it home where I could examine it closer, it only looked worse. He used some cheap carpet and laid it down in one piece which would've been fine had he done it correctly. I messed around with it to see if I could salvage it enough to get by. It turned out better than I'd hoped so I kept it for the sake of moving forward. Once the seats, etc were in you can't really see too much of the carpeting anyway. You can get some more details from my build thread.

Link to my 68 Camaro build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Link to my 67 Nova build thread:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57769
Old 01-18-2019, 08:47 PM

Wink

Quote:
I initially took it to an upholstery shop on a recommendation, however, the guy did the biggest half-azz job I've ever laid eyes on. When I got it home where I could examine it closer, it only looked worse. He used some cheap carpet and laid it down in one piece which would've been fine had he done it correctly.
Not to hi jack, but I had to comment at least the guy tried, lol.... I had bought a dyna mat kit years ago and took it to my upholstery guy (at the time) to get my seat redone, he said sure no problem, he would lay down the dyna mat while the seat was out and reupholster the seat and fix it all up and put it back in...... so a few years later a spring broke in the seat, I take my car to a different upholstery shop and I was telling him that there was dyna mat laid down and everything when I had it fixed last time, he fixed the spring and out of curiosity looked under the carpets, guess what no dyna mat!
So I got totally jammed from the first shop saying they laid it down, he apparently sold or used the dyna mat on another project...... it was weird for the longest time I thought man that dyna mat sure isnt what everyone else claims it is now I know why, it wasnt there! I got totally screwed lol!
Old 01-19-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Hey Tony, thank you! It's actually not a kit. I initially took it to an upholstery shop on a recommendation, however, the guy did the biggest half-azz job I've ever laid eyes on. When I got it home where I could examine it closer, it only looked worse. He used some cheap carpet and laid it down in one piece which would've been fine had he done it correctly. I messed around with it to see if I could salvage it enough to get by. It turned out better than I'd hoped so I kept it for the sake of moving forward. Once the seats, etc were in you can't really see too much of the carpeting anyway. You can get some more details from my build thread.
Well from the pic it looks good...thanks for sharing!
Old 01-20-2019, 07:35 AM

I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro with a supercharged small block chevy. I live in the Greater Seattle area So I have scrapped and undercoated the car .Then used bedliner the whole inside of the floor and trunk. Then used Dynomat in both as well .Then a good carpet,It keeps away the rust,the heat and the noise as well.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 AM

I'm about to use chassis saver on the underside of my first gen followed by monstaliner - both magnet paints. I've used both in the past with great results as far as durability goes. For sound suppression I have a bunch of the Bquiet mat in the basement, which had great reviews.