Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 PM

We are having a production style builder build the new house and garage in a subdivision and there are NO exceptions to the way they build. Basically it's their way or the highway. Thing is, we like it because we found about 97% of everything we wanted with this builder and everything else is going very VERY smooth so far.

This is what they do, the post tension slab...and there is no way around it. I'm just trying to do the best with what I have available.

The Super did take me out on a job site Tuesday and showed me a similar garage that is formed and has the cables in place so I could look to see them before the pour and he did say I'll be able to see the one end where they grout over the cable hole...but not the other end. He just stressed that the cables might move while it is being poured and the ramifications of nicking a cable while drilling are massive... They won't even let anyone but myself onto the job site to look at the slab area the day before it's poured, only the homeowner is allowed onsite (for safety reasons).

I understand why they are like this and am okay with it...I just need to figure out if it's worth it to me to take the risk of locating the cables after it's finished and drill the floor (completely voiding the slab warranty) just to have a two post vs a 4 post lift.

This is a just about identical slab as I'll have, the side I'm looking at here is about 15' wide and 48' deep. The cables are on roughly 4' centers here. Each layout would be different though just based on how the guy that installs the cables that day does it.