Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Default welding on axle tubes.....preventing damage

hey guys,
I am installing a 4 link in my 69 camaro and need to weld 4 tabs on the axle tubes. Each tab requires a 3" weld. Differential is still assembled in the car since the tabs need to be welded on with the suspension at ride height. What would be the best way to weld these on while keeping heat damage to a minimum?

Last edited by g356gear; 06-16-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:17 PM

Not sure what kit you are installing. But most of the tabs that weld on to the tubes are about mid way between the flange and center section. You wont cause any damage to any parts from that far away from anything. Not the best way to do it. But will work without any issues.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRRC View Post
Not sure what kit you are installing. But most of the tabs that weld on to the tubes are about mid way between the flange and center section. You wont cause any damage to any parts from that far away from anything. Not the best way to do it. But will work without any issues.

Kit is a Prodigy bar made by Air Ride. They would be within 6" of the axle tube joint to the center section of the differential.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:20 PM

I've never done it....to preface this statement. If I were to do it I would just tack weld the brackets while all together . Next I would drain the oil/pull the pain ...possibly remove the axles. Then weld away with it out of the vehicle. Would be a lot easier to weld , clean up, paint, etc out fron under the car. Just my $.02 Good luck

PS I was going to have to do this same thing but cheated and ordered a moser with brackets already installed from Frank.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 AM

I personally would have the welding done by someone who also has the tools and knowledge to ensure that the axle tubes are straight after they've been welded.

Heat is also used to straighten axle tubes that are not straight. I believe it is easy to warp them.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g356gear View Post
hey guys,
I am installing a 4 link in my 69 camaro and need to weld 4 tabs on the axle tubes. Each tab requires a 3" weld. Differential is still assembled in the car since the tabs need to be welded on with the suspension at ride height. What would be the best way to weld these on while keeping heat damage to a minimum?
I have a good bit of experience welding onto axle housings for off-roading applications. I suggest using a 220v welder at a minimum (a 175A Lincoln/Miller/Hobart/etc) will work sufficiently. Get the brackets in place where you want them and tack them on. Once everything is set just right weld the outside of each tab. Then go back and weld the inside of the tabs. Also, it will depend on what axle you have with regard to warp. If you are running and old ford 9" it probably has relatively thin axle tubes. Take care not to blow through the tubes. If you do turn back the amperage and fill in the hole you made. If you are running a GM axle, new 9", Ford 8.8, Toyota axle, Currie, Spidertrax, etc. Just weld it and go. You don't have to worry about the axle warp. If you are ever worried about twisting the axle tube inside of the cast center section of some axles then weld the axle tubes to the differential housing. This requires preheating due to the cast iron welding involved.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 PM

Thanks guys for the input. I ended up bringing in a professional with a mobile rig and a MIG. We tac welded the brackets and then dropped the axle down for final welding. We did 1/2" welds on each bracket and let them cool each time, alternating sides. The axle never got really hot doing it this way and it looks really good. The welder really wanted to do full 3" welds, but he agreed that it would be better to do smaller welds and let them air cool instead of using a wet cloth to cool them off. He mentioned that this tends to make welds brittle.