Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:49 PM

Default Fikse wheels- never again

Well after 28 weeks, I still don't have a complete set of wheels. A couple of members here have asked me to throw up the story as to help other folks avoid what some of us have gone through. I have resisted doing so, but after today I'm over it all. Below are the facts- folks can draw their own conclusions from them.

Timeline

May 19th- I call Jon at Driverz and place the order for a set of FM5s for my wife's Chevelle as to take advantage of the wheel sale from Fikse. He offers a great deal on tires and insight on backspacing- I take advantage. He quotes me 6-8 weeks delivery time which has been the norm for the last 13 sets I have ordered for my cars in the past. I pay the 50% deposit and he emails me the invoice. Jon spent an hour of his time at the April GG Del Mar show with my wife so I felt my money was spent with the right vendor.

July 15th- I inquire about the wheels at 8 weeks just to try and plan my mock up stage. Jon contacts Fikse and finds them done and ready to ship. He charges me the balance and we agree that the travel time from Canada to him for tires to me will take an additional 2 weeks or so. I wait patiently.

July 26th- no tracking number, no wheels. I contact Jon at Driverz to find out he had not seen them yet. He follows up with Fikse.

August 5th- after several days of back and forth BS, the wheels still don't arrive at Driverz. I hear excuses like Canadian customs, shipping delays etc. I'm assured they will arrive any day. I wait patiently.

August 15th- after another week and a half of tennis with Jon, I call Fikse with limited succes. At this point I have missed my window for mock up and surrender my spot in the bodyshop to a 57 Chevy (who recieved his HREs in 5 weeks). I understand that Fikse can't disclose much about the situation and keeps refering me to my selling vendor for follow up. I do coerce out of the salesman that my wheels are still sitting there and have not been shipped. Fuming, I call Jon to see if infact they have been paid for by Driverz. Jon calls Fikse only to find out that the check he sent to Fikse for my wheels was incorrectly placed against someone else's order and shipped them out instead of my FM5s. Im assured Fikse will send them out immediately to Jon for tires and then routed to me asap. I wait patiently.

August 25th- no wheels still. No word from anyone. I call Jon to find out he has still not seen them. I wait patiently.

August 30th- I get tracking numbers from Jon.

August 31st- I open the last box only to find that the mounted wheel has flaws in the anodization and looks terrible. I decide to keep them after what it took to get them here, but the warden says otherwise. It's her car and it's my highest budget build yet (go figure). She correctly proclaims that for $1100 a corner, the finish needs to be consistent. She of course was right. I call Jon- he eats the freight-dismounts the tire-and sends it back to Fikse. At this point I own 3 wheels and feel like the fourth has been sent back into an abyss.

October 14th- I follow up from Jon to see where the fourth wheel is. He gets a quote from Fikse that it'll be here in 2 weeks. I wait patiently and wish I had ordered something else.

Today- no wheel- Jon had no answers from Fikse- I still only have 3 wheels and can't get the car out of the mock up stage.

I'm not willing to move the car to paint without seeing it on its wheels/tires and suspension loaded. A couple friends think I'm nuts, but that's the way I've built every one of my cars and have managed to avoid fitment troubles with radical combinations while others struggle with wheels on painted cars. Combining a 60s era car with Z06 brakes, custom wheels, and a lowered stance is too far of a risk to assume that this symphony of parts from dozens of vendors will work in harmony without actually seeing it happen.

At this point I totally regret my order. I have them up for sale not because I don't like the wheels, but rather that I don't want to run their product after all of the BS. I feel Driverz has been trapped in the middle and while I could blame them as the vendor, it would be foolish as that's not where the problem lies according to Jon. For those with millions, $4400 wheels isn't an issue. But for someone who works hard for his money I can tell you first hand that above timeline is not acceptable. The above can be supported by the 54 emails I have captured. For those in the market for wheels- be careful and avoid my situation. I have no idea when my fourth wheel will arrive and I don't think Jon does either. Guess we will see. I'll update when it arrives. Thanks for the space.

Dave

Smithcraft Collision and Restoration
Newcastle , CA

Last edited by NOPANTS68; 10-31-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear this. I have an email into Fikse now, will post back.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank

Last edited by camcojb; 10-31-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 PM

I had a similar experience although slightly shorter timeframe. I ordered mine late May, paid 100% up front and did not check on them until after around 11 weeks and they were supposed to ship that week

Two weeks later another call and they were supposed to be shipping again. I contacted Fikse directly and Danny was responsive but told Jon at Driverz that I had contacted him and he bristled at me contacting them directly. When thousands of dollars are on the line I'm going to contact whoever I please. The communication from Driverz was less than stellar and at the time I blamed them because I wasn't aware that so many people were having similar experiences with Fikse.

Eventually after like 15-16 weeks (read: 4 months) my wheels arrived and it was only then that I saw people, yourself included reporting having similar issues that I pinned it on Fikse.

I haven't really been delayed because of it but your post does make me want to double check the finishes on my wheels, as I have not even opened every box.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:21 PM

Guys we completely understand the frustration with the Fikse orders. We are doing everything we can to get the orders out the door. If anyone has any questions, PLEASE call us. We are doing are best to keep everyone in the loop and are on the phone everyday with Fikse getting updates. We received another two sets today for Abdul Mulla and Sandra Duran and customers will be receiving tracking info shortly.

69 Camaro, 68 Camaro, 05 GTO.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:40 PM

Today's pallet included two sets. The set for a "Sandra Duran" in Texas, which did not need tires, and they shipped today. The second set on that pallet for "Abdul Mulla", will be getting tires mounted and balanced, and packaged and shipped. That will happen in the next two days.

Also a set for "Wesley Nemitz", Nitto tires (275's and 335's) will be mounted and balanced and shipped tomorrow (we talked to you on the phone today, and thanks for being so cool.)

As you can tell, we're doing everything we can to ship these things as quickly as they are received. And as Justin said, we've been in constant contact with Fikse as to when the next pallet of wheels will be arriving from their facility in Canada.

Yes, they are running late. Yes, they know it. And they are doing everything they can to get caught up. The main question is, are they delivering... and yes they are, but obviously tardy.

Fikse also has been in contact with some of our customer's direct, to try and ease concern, so that everyone understands, they will be getting their wheels, and to apologize for their tardiness, which I believe is a good thing, to "hear it from the horses mouth".

I hope that sheds some light out there for the remaining sets that are due from the sale. We have confidence that they will eventually arrive, though obviously tardy.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

thanks Jon/Justin. Appreciate all the effort guys.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 PM

Jon, while Fikse calling customers to "hear it from the horse's mouth" may be a positive- I never got that call. I instead had to babysit my order and be the pushing force just to get it even months after having paid in full. That's a joke after plopping down 4 grand. At this point the only phone call I want is to give the tracking number for my fourth wheel.

Just to be crystal clear, I have no beef with Jon's company. I created this thread after the being asked to by other Lat-G members to highlite the experience. I can only try to avoid the same ordeal when I order the new wheels for this car from another company.

Smithcraft Collision and Restoration
Newcastle , CA
Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 PM

Dave, I totally understand, I just needatman he best I can, make sure my name, and my business doesn't get pulled through the mudd anymore than it already has, thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 PM

Yep,
I got the call (I'm Wes in the above thread post from Driverz) from Driverz this afternoon regarding my order shipping tomorrow. Yeah!

I'm excited to get them. I'll post some pics once I receive them.

Thanks Driverz (Jon). Sorry you guys got stuck in this. Maybe Fikse should get another CNC before their next big sale!

Wes

Last edited by MoparCar; 10-31-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-31-2011, 09:40 PM

i was at Fikse last week talking to the owner. the place is Jammed with CNC machines and lots of stuff going on, i have nothing to add as far as why the wait time might be extended, we have been talking to them about a couple private label wheels so to hear that the wait can be long is not encouraging BUT we all go through screw ups in receiving parts from suppliers and the best intentions can go sidways in a hurry.
hope everyone gets their orders filled soon.