Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Track and Driving Events
User Name
Password

Old 02-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts
Default Thunderhill - NorCal Shelby Spring event

I've registered both my cars for this event.... So Sieg and I will be there... He's registered to drive the Lotus in Red run group both days - and I've registered to drive both cars in Green group both days.

In addition to that -- I've engaged Ron Sutton to come help me learn about tires - heat - heat cycling - pressures etc... So we welcome Ron to our little group of funsters!

I ASSume that Charley and our other buddies (Chet/Pete/Mike) will be there as well... so it should be a great time!

NorCal Shelby Spring Sprint
May 3rd and 4th
Thunderhill Raceway

For those of you interested there is also a DRIVING SCHOOL... and it's VERY AFFORDABLE so check out their website - come out and have some fun!!

http://www.norcal-saac.org

YOU DO NOT have to be a member of NorCal to register and enter the event!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:42 PM

Sounds like fun Greg! Hoping I can make it. I called Matt too.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in SoCal View Post

You better!

I'll be debuting my new open cockpit track outfit.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in SoCal View Post

I hope some of the Lat Gr's can come and run.... If you're not running Hoosiers or similar racing slicks -- I'd either get some -- or run a group down from where you think you should be. Most of the guys are running on race tires...

There's fuel at the track. Plenty of space for trailers -- and motorhomes and that sort of thing.

Couple of Hotels there at Willows -- Holiday Inn Express and The Baymont Inn...Charley et al usually always stay at the Holiday Inn... Ron S is at the Baymont. Which is next door to the infamous Casa Ramos.

EEEEEEHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA
Old 02-15-2014, 05:10 PM

I really like your avant garde use of goalies gloves for driving.... they should be really good downforce in the event of front end lift down the straight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
You better!

I'll be debuting my new open cockpit track outfit.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I really like your avant garde use of goalies gloves for driving.... they should be really good downforce in the event of front end lift down the straight!
Goalie gloves.......Oh Paalease.

Those are actual handmade in the U S of A Held road racing gloves..........for motorcycles.

Though I am eyeing a sexy pair of Simpson evening gloves and some cute RaceQuip driving slippers.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:36 AM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 479 Posts

For any of you that always wanted to try driving your car on the track but have no experience etc. This is a great event to get you feet wet with the driving school. This is the event I regrettably talked Greg Weld into attending. It has been downhill ever since. Great track to learn on because if you go off track here is not much to run into. They keep it safe and only allow beginners to pass in a couple sections etc. We all start somewhere.

From the Norcal site:
Saturday Driver’s School

The school will be led by OTEC head instructor Mike Camicia. The day will begin with a ride along-instructors driving and students riding. This will be at low speed and without helmets, allowing students to hear the instructor and see just where we want you to drive, AKA the Line.

After the ride along, we will hold a classroom session to review the Line you just observed. We will go over the flags used by the corner workers to control track safety.

During your first track session you will concentrate on driving the correct Line rather than speed. As students gain skill and confidence, speeds will begin to pick up while maintaining good car control. Later in the day we will move to lead-follow. This is where two students will follow an instructor around the track. The instructor will have the students leap frog into the lead, allowing instructor to observe and students to get the feel of passing.

Between each track session students will meet back in the classroom for download discussions. During these sessions instructors will discuss the progress of each student. This also provides time for students to ask questions and review driving concepts.

This school is a great opportunity for friends and family to get introduced to track driving in a gradual and controlled environment. Whether you want to become a track enthusiast or you just want that one-time experience, I hope you will consider joining us. Whether you want to drive the family race car or your faithful daily-driver, this is a unique opportunity.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:53 AM

Sooooo, i think i'm in. To see y'all and to do the drivers school.

But, my car is cageless right now, opinions????? It has new Morris 3pt belts and i believe it to be mechanically sound...but safety first....If its "slow" speed, is it doable????

thanx, Mike
Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 AM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 479 Posts

This is the perfect deal to get your feet wet. Run as hard as you want. The idea is not to go faster than you feel safe. We all start at the beginning so there is no shame in not being the fastest. Just come and get your feet wet in a safe environment with people that will give you good instruction.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:56 AM

This sounds like the perfect event for guys that have never had their car on a race track but have always wanted to give it a try.

Greg or Charlie.....let me know if the club will be short on driving instructors. I'd be more than happy to jump in and lend a hand.