Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 11-10-2015, 10:02 PM

To pile on to a pile of the same suggestion, I treated myself to a Miller 211 earlier this year (because I figured the latest version of my forever changing car deserved better), along with a big gas bottle, and it's really convinced people that I have some kind of skill (they are wrong). It's a great machine, and is a million times better than my old Eastwood 135 (observe internal hardware/drive mechanism), which still has a purpose or two--it has been dedicated to crappy flux-core welds forever . . .
Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 PM

I have been welding for over 40 years in one form or another and I have always had the best luck with Lincoln welders. I have had several stick welders but my first MIG was a Lincoln 140 110vac and I gave that to my brother when I upgraded to my current Lincoln 256. For automotive welding and occasional heavy welding I would recommend the Lincoln Power MIG 210 which is also a dual 110/220 input. Like some have said, don't waste your time on flux core, learn to use the proper shielding gas. The bottom line is that both Miller and Lincoln are top of the line welders, while brands such as Hobart and other no name welders are lower cost units.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 11-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

You're asking about MIG welders and my recommendation never waivers about getting the very best one you can.... because of future use - and because this is a tool you'll have for a very long time. I was reminded of this today when at "the shed" and I decided I hadn't TIG welded for a couple weeks --- and if I was going to do some - I might as well butt weld some box cutter blades together for practice. Why do I mention this? Because I bought a TIG machine - that at the time had many more bells and whistles than I might use... I bought a Miller 200 DX. Today - welding the edges of razor blades together - I needed everything that machine could muster up! Pulse - with front and background splitting...and a super steady arc... And while it took me several tries experimenting with the settings - the machine was capable of delivering what I needed and I was successful in welding them with no filler... and a bead that measured .0724 (about two hairs worth).

Just sayin' --- today was proof of why I make the "get the best you can" because you never know what you're going to do going forward.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:42 PM

Pictures Greg, or it never happened...
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Pictures Greg, or it never happened...

FINE!! LOL

set up was a little tricky!! Took me about 4 pairs of blades to get the machine set....

A TEST BEAD - no filler..... just to get the machine set to run a puddle.....

Found I had to have a super sharp tungsten! In order to focus the arc....

DONE!!

Now ---- my old eyes really struggled with finding and keeping the joint.... so there's a little wandering.

JUST FYI --- That "bead" --- no filler --- is .0724" wide.... that's about 2 hairs width!! No kidding!! I measured it.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:00 PM

And you need a good helmet.

Attached Images

Old 11-24-2015, 09:43 PM

That was the reason I was having trouble seeing the joint!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 PM

Greg, that's crazy small. All kidding aside concerning helmets, I bought a new auto dimming adjustable helmet, that goes down to a 7 shade, and for the first time I could see my work with having to rig up lighting. I can weld SO much better now that I can see what I'm doing.
Sorry about the hi-jack OP!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Greg, that's crazy small. All kidding aside concerning helmets, I bought a new auto dimming adjustable helmet, that goes down to a 7 shade, and for the first time I could see my work with having to rig up lighting. I can weld SO much better now that I can see what I'm doing.
Sorry about the hi-jack OP!

I've said that dozens of times in various welding thread discussions on here -- if you can't see - you can't weld!!

I had the machine set at 20 amps (variable with my foot pedal control) and had it also set on pulse -- and holding a really really tight arc..... so "sight" was an issue! There just wasn't much light running ahead of the torch. There isn't much of a "joint" when butting two razor blades!! I'd have to stop - get back on the butt joint and start running some more.

Glad you got a good quality helmet! It makes a world of difference.

Last edited by GregWeld; 11-25-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:48 AM

x2 once I got my Hobart auto helmet, I could see what I was doing. My welding is still nothing special but I can see what I'm doing wrong now

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims