Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 AM

Default My 5,4 Modular Twin Turbo 67 Mustang Fastback

Hi guys.

I hope I'm in the right place for asking technical questions concerning my 67 Mustang Fastback build.

I’m a racing driver and not a technical wizard, so please have patience if I’m asking questions that might sound idiotic to you…

The story short:

2005 bought Ford GT new, and have since over the years modified it in several ways.

Brembo ceramic brakes, Öhlins coil overs and not least Heffner TT's. 2 years ago I had the motor sent to John Mihovetz at Accufab where it had the full treatment including pistons, rods, valves, cams and billet crank. It produced a decent 1050 HP on pump gas, and that was really the limit for the GT’s standard fuel system.

I've had a blast with the car, but I'm now selling it. I figured the car was worth more in original trim, and I had a GT owner in Sweden who wanted to buy my TT engine. So I got hold of a standard engine from a wrecked GT and swabbed them over, which means I have my TT engine sitting on the floor. Potential buyer backed out, so I got this crazy idea.

Many years ago I started a 76 Fastback project, and I only have gotten as far as making the body complete with mini tub, 4 link rear and coilover front end.

So now to the point:

I'm thinking about using my GT-TT engine for this project and I have a bunch of questions to ask, so I'll list them and hope that people on this forum could chime in with their comments and answers.

Thanks.

1. Can the engine be used with the dry sump system or would I have to convert to a GT500 system?

2. Is a 6R80 trans a direct fit on the 5,4 modular block?

3. I would like the turbos to be located “behind the headlamps”, can I find readymade headers for that?

4. Any ideas on what I can use on top of my charge cooler?? The Heffner intake that came for the GT has the inlet pointing "the wrong way" - don't know if it can be rotated 180 degrees. I’ve seen a nice intake piece from Evolution Performance. Another route could be that I seem to remember that a Boss intake can be used with an adapter from MMR if I go with an intercooled system.

5. What type EFI would be best? – looking for both engine and transmission management.

Link to pics of a standard GT engine - shows that alternator and other stuff looks to be in a not ideal position http://www.x2builders.com/gallery.as...id=item&id=746

Last edited by fastbackfreak; 06-17-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 PM

Hey from Finland.

Answers to your questions:

1.Yes you could use drysump. In theory but you dont have room for the drysump pump and would need to find good place for oiltank. Going with GT500 would be easier way. But would need low profile oil pan. Or modified the original.

2. Not sure about trans. I think does not fit. I would not use that anyway. Would go with 6 speed manual.

3. Never seen that kind of headers for sale.
Fitting that 4 cam, 83cm wide engine to Mustang engine compartment is not easy task. It wide and tall. Not much room for headers, all depends your suspension. Need all room you can get so need eliminate the shock towers.

I know because Im building an '69 Fastback with 5.4 supercharged SuperSnake engine to customer. With custom build 6 speed.
We have Detroit Speed Aluma Frame with straight inner fenders (no towers) and still needed to move engine 100mm back and build own headers to get past upper control arm brackets. Frame rails play big role. Not so much room as in GT. I know that too, imported one (2005) to Finland some years ago. There is way more room around the engine in that chassic.

Intake: best would be just to make new one facing forward. It would not be so big deal. Again GT has more room so any intake for that would came through the hood in Mustang. Easier to use front mount intercoolers to get best air flow and lower intake manifold.

There is many aftermarket ECU for that engine but not to 6 speed automatic. Maybe it can be done with one ECU to engine and one stand alone controller to trans.

Hope this will help.