Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackMuscle View Post
I hear ya! I run in both just so I can break more track records, but yeah worrying about cheaters sucks! I've got a stock ACR I run TT1 in and a 9 liter Viper I run TTU in, I've got 6 TT1 nasa records with the ACR and one in TTU with the 9 liter, I hope to add more soon. I've been following your build, been thinking about doing something similar but probably with a '69 Camaro body. I think I could end up being 350 lbs lighter than my current TTU car. Good luck at Thunderhill!

We chose to build this car heavier --- rather than going all lightweight... I'm an amateur weekend warrior..... and this car was built so I could sneak up on it - start in HDPE 4 -- get comp'd -- and begin to run TTU.... But that was all before my f'ing cancer ordeal...

Now we have Benny Moon ---- and had I planned for that (me not driving) I would have asked for it to be built lighter. I was going for something I could drive at 85% -- be fast "enough" and be "safe" too. Ron has been my guiding light for a number of years now - and I know he wouldn't even build me one of his light speed rocket ships! For you? You need his 950hp 2300# '69 Camaro bodied babies!!! DO IT!! LOL

I never ever wanted to crash my Lotus 2-11....... nothing there but an aluminum box -- light and fast? Oh yeah -- but I would much rather walk away. It's only for fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
Ron Sutton (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
We chose to build this car heavier --- rather than going all lightweight... I'm an amateur weekend warrior..... and this car was built so I could sneak up on it - start in HDPE 4 -- get comp'd -- and begin to run TTU.... But that was all before my f'ing cancer ordeal...

Now we have Benny Moon ---- and had I planned for that (me not driving) I would have asked for it to be built lighter. I was going for something I could drive at 85% -- be fast "enough" and be "safe" too. Ron has been my guiding light for a number of years now - and I know he wouldn't even build me one of his light speed rocket ships! For you? You need his 950hp 2300# '69 Camaro bodied babies!!! DO IT!! LOL

I never ever wanted to crash my Lotus 2-11....... nothing there but an aluminum box -- light and fast? Oh yeah -- but I would much rather walk away. It's only for fun.
Shoot man, I didn't realize you had cancer. Well anyone with this kind of tenacity should do very well fighting that disgusting disease!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Shoot man, I didn't realize you had cancer. Well anyone with this kind of tenacity should do very well fighting that disgusting disease!

Thank you..... I had it lapped and then I spun out. But I'm still shifting gears.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Thank you..... I had it lapped and then I spun out. But I'm still shifting gears.
If you guys ever want to take it here- https://www.indemotorsports.com/ I'm a member and can take guests. Would be cool to see it out there, it's an amazing track!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
If you guys ever want to take it here- https://www.indemotorsports.com/ I'm a member and can take guests. Would be cool to see it out there, it's an amazing track!

Ah --- a Tucson guy!!

The guy that owns and developed that track -- and I have driven it (my Audi R8 Spyder) -- is a friend of, and lives in the same neighborhood, as my buddy Lee and they're very good friends. He's a super cool guy -- and into all the right things -- planes - cars - large boats.....
Old 07-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Inde is on my list of tracks to visit with Barney now that I'm out here. Have heard good things about it...
Old 07-18-2018, 10:53 AM

Remembering the R8 -- was a surprise birthday gift to my wife -- a friend made a "meme(?) out of a photo during the unveiling. LOL

Arie Luyendyk Jr shredded it's brand new set of tires in a few laps at INDE..... mostly just power sliding every corner - one handed while talking on the radio. LOL

Name:  IMG_1842.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  114.8 KB
Old 07-18-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
hey Sutton.... does Benny have any lap experience at Thunderhill running the opposite direction?
I dunno

I don't think he has many laps at Thunderhill. So probably none in reverse.

Last edited by Ron Sutton; 07-18-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
This. Changes. Everything. I may have to pick up a few more squares and put some scientifical thought into it. I know the rearview mirror is huge but am now second guessing Ron’s “aero package”....no offense Ron but I’ve seen aero really start to unwork when the car gets turned around.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I run in TTU and TT1 with my Viper's and yes indeed no normal car can hang with the prototypes. The proto's are deep into the 1'40's at Thunderhill. I wish they had their own class. I can beat all but the fastest of them, but I'm at 735rwhp, 2995 lbs and lots of aero. What is the RWHP of the mustang? You might be able to squeak into TT1 and be extremely competitive. Nasa uses a formula for the hp of your car, it's not the peak, it usually works out to about 10% less than your peak.

Too many things keep the car out of T1, so TTU is the only class it fits in. It will be a fun deal no matter & that's all we're doing here.

Frankly, when Greg ordered the car, we were just planning a bad ass track car, not racing in any class. The engine is my Track-Warrior 3, which is our base LS7. Super durable rotating assembly & valvetrain, as well as a great ARE dry sump. We advertise it at 700 hp, but it will make 720 HP at the crank on race oil. Obviously less RWP. If we had planned to build a TTU car from the beginning, I would have recommended my 850HP or 900HP Dart/WCCH LS7s. We'll probably find we're somewhat competitive on lap times ... against most TTU cars - NOT Prototypes ... but off due to power. Greg ... and time ... will decide if we put a more powerful mill in it.

Last edited by Ron Sutton; 07-18-2018 at 04:45 PM.