Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-30-2018, 01:53 PM

Default Why not start with a new 69?

After spending days of my life reading other peoples projects I still wonder why there are not more people using Dyna corn first generation Camaro bodies? I see a lot of guys spending thousands and thousands of dollars to fix rust on an original body or paying a premium for an original car to cut up it makes me scratch my head. At around $13,500 that seems like a good deal to have something you can start bolting parts on.
The only downside that I can see is that they are imported, but it's getting to the point what isn't?
Anyone have any thoughts or explanations?
Old 06-30-2018, 03:30 PM

Because it won't have a VIN number for a 69 camaro (or what ever body you buy)etc. It'll be registered as a "specialty" vehicle I believe and you can't swap your VIN number from your rusty car to the new body either it's illegal.

When your done building the new body with "specialty" registration it'll be either hard to sell because it's not a real 69 or the value of the vehicle won't be there either.

That's why people restore their rusty Camaro. The value can only go up even tho it might seem to cost more to build up front.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:47 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

There is also so much work to make these bodies flawless with perfect gaps,I started assembling mine today which is a rust free origional car and got more done than I would in months on the aftermarket parts,no cutting and welding to make Parts fit and grille and Rallysport headlights fit great with very little adjustment.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:48 AM

After searching for months for a good body, I ended up finding a '67 300 post with a 6 cyl and 3 on the tree. My build isn't really what is the typical seen here, as I am keeping it as simple as possible using the body as is for the most part. If Dyna had a body available, I would have considered it because
A- Its not hard to register a "homebuilt" here
B- I don't care about resale
C- There is so much junk out there that the effort needed to get a Dynacorn body decent would be less than the effort needed to repair a crappy body that would end up with a bunch of aftermarket metal on it anyway.
But it's moot because as far as I know, there is no aftermarket 66 or 67 Chevelle body available.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:24 PM

I believe in CA it will also need to comply with all the 2018 smog requirements. But that can be resolved with a GM E-Rod engine.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:58 PM

And to add to the above posts which are correct, all of the “smalls” that you have to buy/find will crush you. Things such as window regulators, trim pieces, clips, seat frames, nuts/bolts, etc. You’d almost want to buy another separate car, just for the parts.
It’s easy to look at these shells and their pricing and pull the trigger. Fortunately many people have done their homework on these units and realized that it’s just not that great of a deal after all.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
And to add to the above posts which are correct, all of the “smalls” that you have to buy/find will crush you. Things such as window regulators, trim pieces, clips, seat frames, nuts/bolts, etc. You’d almost want to buy another separate car, just for the parts.
It’s easy to look at these shells and their pricing and pull the trigger. Fortunately many people have done their homework on these units and realized that it’s just not that great of a deal after all.
I totally agree Scott...

Old 07-04-2018, 05:12 PM

there is a post on here somewhere from Rusty in Florida, he has a body shop.

Customers car is the 67/68 fastback Mustang. It has required allot of work to get it right.

I somewhat agree though, I've replaced allot of sheetmetal on my 68 Torino. If I could have bought a 69 dynacorn Torino I'd be farther ahead, at least with my skills.

Not sure what to think about value, at one time a clone "revival" car wasn't worth allot. Now BJ seems to bring in the money for them. Of course I'm talking Camaro's, Chevelle's , a cloned Ford doesn't seem to be worth a tinkers damn

My 68 Torino