Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Help, Feedback and Testing > Vendor/Member Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 04-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thumbs down Scott Mock/Chubby's Welding/Vintage Racing Performance

I paid Scott Mock DBA Chubby's Welding DBA Vintage Racing Performance a total of $25,000 - parts and labor to do the following, apparently not in any particular order, instead of being well planned out:
  • Gut the car, it drove off the trailer.
  • Build a front sub-frame with C6 suspension, rack and pinion mounts and ride tech 3 way shocks that mounts a LS3 and TR6060.
  • I brought motor mounts, trans mounts, rack and pinion, steering column, intermediate shaft, rear differential mounts, sub frame mounts, DSE rear mini tubs and a whole lot more.
  • Install a complete stainless exhaust I provided.
  • Procure and install the ride tech tiger cage.
  • install front kick down bars to his sub frame.
  • build round tube sub frame connectors.
  • install/modify the rear 5th gen Camaro suspension.
  • install the brake booster, clutch master cylinder, steering column, intermediate shaft and u-joints.
  • Shave and modify the fire wall and trans tunnel for the TR6060, LS3 and associated shifter.
  • Sandblast the body
  • install the DSE mini tubs
  • mount a 4th Gen Camaro center console
  • Measure for and install a fuel tank.
  • replace the rear quarters, trunk drop offs, rear light panel and outer wheel housing.
  • Shave the firewall and relocate a procured DSE wiper motor
  • Procure an AA wiring harness, Vintage Air AC system, DSE Firewall panel, DSE wiper motor and the Ride Tech shocks/cage
  • Sell the remaining supercharged engine, transmission, rear end and stock subframe and return the air filter and $1,000 to me for doing so. He could sell it for any amount he chose.

His invoice lists 9K (and change) for parts and the rest in labor - Total is 25K.

When I asked him to resolve issues in the attached pictures, this is what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwelder62
If you need me to fix something ship the car back and if I got paid to do the job I will fix the job.NARROWING THE 5TH GEN CRADLE WAS SOMETHING I said I wouldn't do from the start. Working out the bugs on that Rear end instal is going to take some time. I will not replace the DSe parts. that was your idea using those and you were OK with cutting them.I will hang on to the money and airfilter until you deside to not post any of this.
Emphasis mine (bold, underlined and italic'd)

Spelling, grammar and all, directly him.

I asked him to propose a resolution and gave him 72 hours before posting.

I am happy to forward any email, complete with hashing and time stamps from his email server to verify account authenticity.

I spent more than $3K - fuel, hotels, travel and food for 3K driven miles and one air trip, plus five months bringing the car to him the first time.

I will not bring it back, since he cut the flange off the outer wheel tub on the passenger side and did not weld it into the 1/4. I have a quote to repair his installation that includes a new 1/4, an outer wheel house and a DSE mini tub.

Also, the front coils rub on the upper control arm, the rear sway bar rubs on the rear coils, the rim/tire combo he spec'd hits the shock he installed in the rear. There are numerous other smaller, semantic issues, like not installing the fuel pump into the fuel tank,missing bolts and holes in the tiger cage install, DSE mini tubs are not trimmed to fit, the DSE tubs are not fully welded or seam sealed, he charged me parts and labor for Z06 rear hubs I can't use, missing parts like Vintage Air hoses and drier - probably a whole lot more I am missing in 5 months of back and forth via email, with partial answers from Scott each time.

In my own personal opinion, I would not work with Scott Mock, Vintage Performance Racing or Chubby's welding again. I attempted to resolve this on several occasions and did not receive satisfaction. As of 4/18/2015, he threatened to keep my money and parts if I posted pictures of his work.

I will cross post this on every board we're on, so that people are aware of the work Scott Mock did and how he treated me, keeping $1,0000 owed to me and my parts due to my review. So far, this has been a $32,000 (all in) mistake for me, please take it as you will.
Attached Images

68 GMC C1500
Haulin more than the mail

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"

Last edited by grendel; 04-19-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:13 PM

BTW, Scott's screen name is Coolwelder62 here.

68 GMC C1500

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"

Last edited by grendel; 04-18-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 PM

I got a box with my air cleaner in it. No money for the engine/transmission/sub frame he sold.

I have a video of us opening, if y'all want to see it.

It does have 1000 written on it several times. The green tape was a nice touch.

68 GMC C1500

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"

Last edited by grendel; 05-16-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:29 AM

So, to be very clear Scott, as I know you're reading these:

This will not go away. You threatened to keep my money "until you deside to not post any of this". I could've lied to get my money back, but I just don't care about it. What I care about is integrity.

A lack of a response is still a response here. I will proceed in any lawful fashion I can. You can trust my integrity.

No matter what happens, the reviews will stand, people will know about your business practices and the work you did, from your own quotes and pics of your work.

So, please, think about this and respond here with a reasonable resolution. I am willing to listen here or in court. Heck, happy to let a third party decide. The only thing I will not compromise on: You will not work on this car again.

Your call.

68 GMC C1500

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"
Old 03-17-2016, 12:28 PM

Just an update to this thread, more than a year after I brought it home: I thought some of you should know what sort of businessman you could potentially work with. This will be 3 posts, since there are character limits per post.

Since Scott would not respond here or any suitable response for that matter, I filed in small claims court here in NH. Max was 7500, so I went for that. Scott hired an attorney here (it would probably leave small claims here) and I thought it wise to cancel and move to KS, which I did.

I filed with a decent attorney there, for 25K, thinking that Scott would finally come to some sort of arbitration; we’d settle and get on with our lives.
I filed:
BREACH OF CONTRACT – I felt that he did not build this as if it were his own, nor did the car pass any inspection (NH safety inspection, NHRA etc) due to the improperly installed quarter panels
BREACH OF IMPLIED DUTY – We felt that he had a duty to build my car to be safe and as described.
NEGLIGENCE – Reducing the structural integrity of the shell but cutting the mating flanges off the quarter to wheel tub, when he knew the car would be raced, cutting the mounting areas where the cage mounts in the rear. He also requested that some pics of work he sent not be shared, stating the work would be finished but never was, spelling and grammar his:

“I couldn't fit the bent rails in w/o taking a bunch of room from the seat compartment.I desided to go the same route as David Pozzi did w/Art M. IRS install. This way will give more rear clearance room which I think is what you want. These are roughed in so don't put them on lat-g. When I get everything closed in and ground smooth it will look better I think.I have a couple hours left on the filler pcs and Left hand side then I put the IRS in and start building mount's. This turning out to be quite a job. When you move one thing it change's something else. “

My attorney thought these applied:
CONVERSION
DECEPTIVE PRACTICES UNDER THE KCPA.

Instead, he countered for 225K and a DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL. According to a conversation with my attorney, he was able to procure a family sort of discount with Mark Emert of FAGAN EMERT & DAVIS, L.L.C.
He filed:

BREACH OF CONTRACT
UNJUST ENRICHMENT
DEFAMATION
INVASION OF PRIVACY
FACTS COMMON TO ALL CLAIMS
In 2014, Mock was contacted by Plaintiff who was seeking modification of a
Chevrolet Camaro. Plaintiff initially sought services from Mock that extended beyond what Mock was willing to perform. "

He claims that I sought stuff that he couldn’t do, yet he was posted in my thread about how awesome it was and that he would do it as if it were his own. (Paraphrased). Bluntly, if he couldn’t do it, tell me and I move on. I have no email saying I can’t/won’t do that.

”During the course of negotiating the services Mock was willing to perform, Mock
specifically expressed the limitations of Mock’s work and the course in which the outcome of the
agreed services and provision of materials could be achieved. In response, Jacott expressed using
parts that Mock did not believe were functional and/or implementing modification processes that
Mock was not willing to perform."

I am happy to give anyone the emails, with time stamps and server hashes… he never said he couldn’t do anything. Here’s some quotes for you, all spelling and grammar his:

“Heres what art Morrison did to put a gen 5 Camaro rear in a 73 Camaro.They narrowed the WMS to 57.5.I think it could be done using the GM cradle. I would say about 60hrs labor to do a real nice job.”
“I don't any thing about IRS suspensions and their geometry. I could mount the stock GM unit in the Camaro keeping everything the way GM designed it.But wouldn't want to do one from scratch. I would probably need about 3500.00 Labor and materials to do the install,using the stock GM unit.”

This is what we agreed to do in the rear. Install a unit as GM designed it. I added DSE control arms later when the rear tires he specified would not fit. He actually sent the car back with the front rims/tires on the back.

“Upon delivery of Plaintiff’s vehicle by Plaintiff, Mock learned that Plaintiff had failed
to present the vehicle in the agreed condition. In fact, Plaintiff brought the vehicle to Mock’s place
of business on a trailer and proceeded to drive the car off the trailer, evidencing that neither the engine or transmission systems had been removed.

This is accurate. We agreed that I would remove the engine and transmission. I didn’t get time to do it before I brought the car out. If you look at his labor invoice, he charged 800.00 for “disassemble camaro” that, as we agreed, would be more work.

Mock expressed his objection to performance of any services that were outside the scope of the parties’ original agreement or which Mock believed would not permit the vehicle to operate as intended.

I would really love to see any email or post saying this… why do something he could not do?

Plaintiff thereafter convinced Mock to perform additional services to modification of the vehicle – including dismount and removal of the engine assembly – in exchange for payment of additional costs of labor and any materials necessary.

I am still trying to figure out why/how this is an issue? He got paid 800.00 to take apart the car. We agreed he would install the quarters to fit the car, which also included the IRS in a stock configuration. Maybe his attorney was trying to use this to keep the $1,000 Scott received when he sold my engine, transmission and assorted parts, money that he was supposed to send to me?

Over the course of the parties’ relationship from the date the Plaintiff’s vehicle was dropped off through the date of filing this suit, Plaintiff has repeatedly demanded changes to the terms of the parties’ original agreement and any subsequent modifications thereof.

This is interesting to me. “Demand”. Supposedly, we worked together on the ideas, interactively. He also got paid when the scope changed, more on this later.

Subsequent modifications to the vehicle in accordance with Plaintiff’s design
required additional services to be performed and materials to be provided. Mock agreed to purchase some of the necessary materials and would then invoice Plaintiff for the costs actually paid by Mock for the same, thereby passing along to Plaintiff any discounts Mock received.

This is accurate, we agreed that he could procure some parts from Ride Tech, DSE etc. He stated what the prices were in Nov. I agreed and paid for them. The prices changed, BTW. He charged me more for items:
Email from Friday, Nov14:
“Tiger cage $1875.00,Road race bars $700.00,Harness bar $235.00,Shipping $200.00,triple coil overs $1975.00,Trunnions$40.00,Moog tie rod ends $70.00,C-6 rear hubs $316.00,America auto wire w/ shipping $510.00,Vintage air w/shipping $785.00,1/4 panels & trunk drop off's w/mo sale tax $ 824.60,DSE wiper,firewal plate,bushing w/Shipping $785.00,media blast $800.00. As of next week I will have spent $9130.00 of your money.esimate on labor sub frame w/bent rails $5650.00,sub frame connectors $450.00, Trans tunnel rework $430.00,Firewall smooth$250.00-300.00,Totally disassemble running Camaro $800.00,Tiger cage install $450.00,ZL1 rear hub machine $150.00,1/4 panel & trunk drop off in stall $2080.00,Brake booster & column mounts $95.00,Wiper motor install $520.00 mini tub install $950.00,IRS install $3500.00-?, Total around $15,375.00. Paid deposit $14,00.00. Let me know if I forgot anything.Thank's Scott. “
Email from 2Feb15:

“John, here is where we are at so far.Money spent to date.Part's List Front Shocks $980.00,Trunnions $40.00,Tiger cage w/shipping $3200.00,Americn auto wire $580.00,New 1/4 panels,lower tail panel,outer wheel well,trunk drop offs $995.00,part from DSE $785.00,Z06 rear hubs $380.00,Grade 8 bolts for sub frame and IRS $35.00,rear seat shipping $35.00,12mm lug nuts $36.00,Tie rod ends for rack $50.00,Sand blasting$850.00,Engine bay aprts$45.00, 5th gen rear coil overs $1,098.00. Total spent$9,109.00. Money still to spend AC unit. Labor to date Sub frame $5950.00,Sub frame connectors$450.00,mini tub install $950.00,Disassembly of car $800.00,Haul to blaster $100.00,Firewall smoth$300.00,Wiper motor & linkage move $525.00,1/4 panels and sheet metal install $2080.00,trans tunnel & console $400.00,IRS install $3,500.00,IRS narrowed $425.00 Total $15,480.00/ Two total's $24,589.00. Work to still complete Tiger cage install $450.00,Stainless exhaust $650.00.Steering column shaft install $85.00Engine bay bars $275.00,AC bracket's $100.00, fuel tank mounting brackets $80.00t Total work to be done $1,640.00. I would like to have everything finished and ready for pick up Sat. March 7th. Balance of $7229.00.”

This is literally how I received updates, but if you focus on the parts he sold me, the prices changed, yet I locked in everything in the beginning with a fat deposit that more than covered the purchases. An example, American Auto wire in Nov was 510 when I bought it and then 580 in Feb, when he sent the email. If you break out the other items, you can find other discrepancies.

Mock routinely provided Plaintiff with updates on the progress of the planned
design and modification of Plaintiff’s vehicle, including statements of the costs of materials and labor necessary to perform services. Mock did not charge Plaintiff for some of these services, nor did he charge Plaintiff for the retail price of the materials provided. “

See above. If he couldn’t do them, he didn’t say anything.
He certainly charged me for it, we agreed on a final price. I agree now that he couldn’t do them.

More in a minute.

68 GMC C1500

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"

Last edited by grendel; 03-17-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:28 PM

Oh and Scott's email to me or comments from his legal petition are in green

68 GMC C1500

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"
Old 03-17-2016, 12:32 PM

As the project was nearing completion, Plaintiff requested further clarification from Mock regarding the costs of services and materials, stating to Mock, “I’ve been very happy with our
relationship to date. To be clear, if it makes you feel bad, I will just pay what you are asking.”

This is accurate. I did say that. I thought he was a nice guy and did not want to quibble. Ask yourself what a relationship to date is. I saw pics and details of what he wanted me to see. Had he told me he cut the mounting flange off the passenger side quarter or didn’t weld certain areas, we would have had a different relationship to date.

Scott replied with:
“What ever is fair with you.I'm easy.I didn't mean to over price on some items just noted it wrong in my book...” and “ 6K and you get the rifle back.Is that fair with you. “
That was not included in the court file, of course.

Mock submitted invoices to Plaintiff for services actually performed and materials actually provided in the total sum of $26,662.92. A true and correct copy of the Invoices from Mock to Plaintiff are attached to this Counterclaim as Exhibit 1.

See above. Also, if I refused to pay the invoice to his satisfaction, why would he release the car to me? Why would he agree to 6K due on pick up? I paid that in cash, BTW. I traveled 6 hours round trip in KS to get that cash.

Plaintiff failed and refused to pay Mock for the contract price agreed upon by the parties.

This is hard to reconcile, as the contract price by his own admission was wrong and we agreed on 6K due. This is critical later on.

Plaintiff failed and refused to pay the sums due and owing to Mock for services performed and materials provided.

This is hard to reconcile, as the contract price by his own admission was wrong and we agreed on 6K due. This is critical later on.

Upon information and belief, Plaintiff engaged in publication of disparaging,
defamatory false statements upon several Internet sites, including Facebook and Yellow Pages. The statements made by Plaintiff concerned Mock’s experience, expertise, knowledge and skill.

I did post my experiences with Scott Mock, Chubby’s welding and Vintage Racing. I kept things to facts, pictures of his work and quotes from his own communication.

Upon information and belief, Plaintiff also created a social media page for Chubby’s Welding for the designed purpose of publishing false and defamatory statements concerning Mock’s experience, expertise, knowledge and skill.

Interestingly enough, I did not create a social media page. I thought about it. I posted on a few forums we’re on, in a manner consistent with the usage of these boards - nothing false, nor defamatory – all factual. We have a right to review the work we all pay for, discuss work done on our cars and this was all in place BEFORE I engaged Scott.
It’s a “places” page:

https://www.facebook.com/help/168172433243582
Guess what? Facebook created that page (it’s “unmanaged”).
These are the people that created it, but liking it, or checking in there:
https://www.facebook.com/search/158781977486144/likers

All my information comes from email to me or publicly available. I made no invasion of privacy. As a paying customer, I have every right to review and post information about my purchase and my car. If he doesn't want it discussed, he should not put it out there or work on an Non Disclosure Agreement, before taking on projects. Not that I would use any vendor that asks for one.

So, where do we stand?
Well, I cancelled the suit. I had no desire to carry this into the New Year. Work, projects and family all deserve the time I put into this. My wife thought it was unchristian of me. I tried to get the cancellation done by the new year. Paperwork was actually signed in Feb. – I almost cancelled the cancellation.

At 3K in attorney’s fees so far for me, it looked like the only one who would win in this suit is the attorneys. My personal belief is that I would not have received anything from Scott, as he’s told other people that he has no money. I lean on other Scott Mock review threads for that data.
He also has a series of UCC Filings and Judgements (released or not I can't tell from public records) in KS that go back as far as 1985 with companies like JDSS Limited and Richards and Conover Steel for things like Equipment and Proceeds. There are over 12 public records for Scott (and his wife). The Lawrence World Journal reports unpaid taxes for Scott Mock at Scott's public address. This also bolstered my belief that I would not actually receive any benefit.

Also, my attorney told me a few snippets:
Scott’s attorney told him He thinks of these threads every time he opens the hood of a car. That he doesn’t really eat or sleep. That was enough for me.

So a summary: Scott kept the money due to me as he sold the supercharged engine and left overs from the Camaro. He collected 25K from me in parts and labor. I spent 4K in travel to and fro from KS. I spent 3K on an attorney.

The manufactured parts I received from Scott were re-used in the build. I had to re-do the quarters, wheel tubs, the rear mounting points of the IRS, restructure the links for the IRS, replace metal cut out for the DSE mini tubs as it mounted the rear Tiger cage. I had to replace coil overs that got damaged due to striking the control arms or sway bars.

So, it’s over. My car is still in pieces (at my own choice). When we agreed to cancel Scott stipulated that:

“Following the Effective Date of the Agreement, JACOTT and MOCK mutually agree that they shall not make any statements or reports to an attorney general’s office, better business bureau, or other consumer protection agency that disparage or in any way criticize the personal or business reputation, practices, or conduct of a party to this Litigation”

So I guess he’s worried that I'd have his Attorney General or Better Business Bureau come after him. I find it ironic, I am trying to wash my hands of him, his business practices and any work he’s done and he thinks I am going to expend more effort to get blood from a rock.

68 GMC C1500

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"

Last edited by grendel; 03-17-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:48 PM

Oh and an email from his attorney to mine:

"Attached is a proposed stipulation and order in this case. If these meet your approval or if you have edits, please let me know and we will get them filed.

I am also writing to follow up regarding our conversation from last month. Larry S from Texas and Kevin F have both contacted Scott to let him know they were contacted directly by Mr. Jacott in the past couple months. Mr. S and Mr. F both told Scott that Mr. Jacott called him a “crook” and could not be trusted. This is after both Mr. S and Mr. F mentioned on the websites frequented by our clients that they had work performed by Scott. Both men have expressed nothing but satisfaction with Scott’s work and let him know of Mr. Jacott’s communications out of concern for Scott’s business.

We were hopeful the negotiated settlement would be the end of Mr. Jacott’s dishonest statements. At the very least, we hoped everyone would simply walk away; I believe that was the purpose of the settlement that we negotiated. We asked that your client submit a letter of apology as part of the settlement negotiations, which he refused to do. Instead, he seems intent on doing the opposite. We are not in a position to waive any additional claim that may arise from Mr. Jacott’s behavior. Indeed, if we discover Mr. Jacott remains willing to disparage Scott among the members of the website’s forum, we have no other option than to file a separate cause of action.

I know that neither one of us can control our clients’ actions. But I am confident from speaking with Scott that he just wants the matter behind him and is willing to let go even that was not a part of the settlement. Hopefully your client will do the same."

Funny thing, I never said that in any PM or conversation to anyone. "Crook" is not a word I use. I did delete their last names from the email; I don't believe they're a part of this.

My intent was originally to let this all roll. I want to make my wife happy and I want to just get on with my life. Then I saw that his attorney was calling me dishonest and that they actually had the balls to ask for an apology.

Then his friend got into my build thread.

I am sure that he wants to rebuild whatever he lost... I am not sure this is the way to do it. Nothing posted has been dishonest on my part. It's all been his email and pics of his work. So either Mr. S and Mr F. is lying or Scott Mock is...

Edit to add: Kevin is now contacting Scott, since I never said anything like that. Funny how that goes.

Yet he continues to threaten litigation to keep me silent, like he took my money - instead of trying to fix a problem. I've heard from other customers that this is his normal business method.
Obviously your call if you engage him. I can't say I would.

68 GMC C1500

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"

Last edited by grendel; 03-18-2016 at 05:17 PM.