Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Z/28 View Post
Do you mean if it is negative voltage, it should show (-) sign next to the value on the voltmeter screen?

The voltage I got did not have any (-) negative sign on the screen.

I have just read in one of the painless wiring manuals that if there is a bad ground, it will find it is way to another source like the indicators on the dash cluster.

I will check the wiring again at the side marker and the parking light housing again

Yes, it also depends on how you take the measurement. I'm assuming you were always placing the negative lead of the meter on the car body which is ground.

You could also try installing the marker lights one at a time while measuring the voltage on the blinker wire to see when it starts to rise.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:16 PM

I gave up.

I have checked the damn wiring on those side markers, and they are correctly wired.

I do not know why when I put those stupid LED side markers, voltage gets introduced into the blinker wire.

When both side markers removed, the voltage at each blinker wire is zero, and both dash indicators disappear.

When I put driver side LED side marker, voltage of 5.9V gets introduced into blinker wire, zero voltage at passenger side blinker wire, and driver side dash indicator gets lit.

The same when I put Passenger side LED marker. Voltage of 5.9 at passenger blinker wire, and passenger side dash indicator gets lit.

I just can’t figure out what else to check for.
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s

Last edited by 72Z/28; 05-01-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
Just curious why you used the polarity reverse adapter? My setup (same as yours) is plug and play with no extra gadgets. Which electronic relays are you using. I initially tried using one without the ground wire and had issues. Switched to one with a built in ground wire and everything was good.

I have painless wiring fuse box.
I had use polarity reverse adapter on turn signal LED flasher only.
Now I am using CEC no load LED flasher with ground wires
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s

Last edited by 72Z/28; 05-01-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I gave up.

I have checked the damn wiring on those side markers, and they are correctly wired.

I do not know why when I put those stupid LED side markers, voltage gets introduced into the blinker wire.

When both side markers removed, the voltage at each blinker wire is zero, and both dash indicators disappear.

When I put driver side LED side marker, voltage of 5.9V gets introduced into blinker wire, zero voltage at passenger side blinker wire, and driver side dash indicator gets lit.

The same when I put Passenger side LED marker. Voltage of 5.9 at passenger blinker wire, and passenger side dash indicator gets lit.

I just can’t figure out what else to check for.
Did you try removing the tail light bulbs yet? Also can you confirm that the side marker lights only has one wire going to the socket. Maybe someone modified the marker lights so they would blink with the turn signal in which case you would need a different bulb.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
Did you try removing the tail light bulbs yet? Also can you confirm that the side marker lights only has one wire going to the socket. Maybe someone modified the marker lights so they would blink with the turn signal in which case you would need a different bulb.
Actually the tail lights are also LED ones (LED boards) from United Pacific, which plugs into the 1157 bulb holder. I do not think the issue with the tail lights.

As far as the side markers, yes they were modified to blink with the turn signals. The ground wire has been connected to the parking light blinker wire, and they blink in sequence only when the parking lights are on. In other words, if the parking light is off, and the turn signal or 4 way flasher is on, the side markers do not blink. I think this is strange and must have happend recently when I put LED parking and side markers.

Last edited by 72Z/28; 05-01-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:52 PM

Actually the tail lights are also LED ones (LED boards) from United Pacific, which plugs into the 1157 bulb holder. I do not think the issue with the tail lights.

Quote:
As far as the side markers, yes they were modified to blink with the turn signals. The ground wire has been connected to the parking light blinker wire, and they blink only when the parking lights are on. In other words, if the parking light is and the turn signal or 4 way flasher is on, the side markers do not blink
That won't work with LED bulbs as the current required to light an LED is much lower than what it takes to light and incandescent bulb. Reconnect the ground wire back to ground and all should be good.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post

That won't work with LED bulbs as the current required to light an LED is much lower than what it takes to light and incandescent bulb. Reconnect the ground wire back to ground and all should be good.
You are 💯 right. The culprit was the LED side markers when connected to blinker wire.

The problem is solved once I reconnected the side marker ground wire back to ground.

Dash indicators are no longer lit and parking light/blinker is working fine.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:12 PM

I want to thank you guys ( Blitzer454, Don, Chris, and Jody) for your time for helping me to troubleshoot and resolve the parking light issue.

Last edited by 72Z/28; 05-02-2019 at 03:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 72Z/28 For This Useful Post:
blitzer454 (05-02-2019)