Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 03-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Read the whole thread and never got an answer LIberty TKO mods do the trick or T56

This was a good thread on addressing the shifting issues of the TKO600. Problem is the two members who had their TKOs modded never posted driving impressions.

Everyone says the T56 is a better shifting transmission. It is also much heavier and I'm not convince I need 6 gear behind a big torque big block.

I have a quicktime bell and dual Mcleod clutch set up for a TKO. I'm either buying a Liberty modified TKO600RR or selling the parts I ahve and just doing a T56.

Did the Liberty mods fix the shifting issues?
Does it shift as well as the T56?
Is the T56 shifting worth the extra weight, money and tunnel mods?

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM

I went from an unmodified TKO600 to a Rockland blueprinted T56. Now, I never had any problems shifting my TKO600 up to 6300 rpms behind 700rwhp, so maybe I"m not hte best to comment.

HOwever, I actually feel like my TKO shifted better overall than my T56 which I realize is backwards from everyone else, but the T56 just feels heavier and notchier, and its breaking in now but 2nd gear took a good tug to make sure you got it in.

I'm not talking some huge difference here, just one datapoint that the shift quality between the two is mostly hype. Probably has more to do with how good your clutch release is than the trans.

Adding a T56 was a good 20 lbs plus I went from an alum bellhousing (unsafe) to a qucktime, which I had trimmed and cleaned up but still added 10 lbs.

I would be more worried about s trength behind your big block than shift quality. I broke a TKO600 3rd gear one time so it can happen. Haven't ran the T56 in the same conditions yet but I doubt it wil break. The TKO broke road racing on a hot day before I had a cooler, so that may have been a factor as well. 3rd gear is known as the weak spot on these.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Default tko600 extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
I went from an unmodified TKO600 to a Rockland blueprinted T56. Now, I never had any problems shifting my TKO600 up to 6300 rpms behind 700rwhp, so maybe I"m not hte best to comment.

HOwever, I actually feel like my TKO shifted better overall than my T56 which I realize is backwards from everyone else, but the T56 just feels heavier and notchier, and its breaking in now but 2nd gear took a good tug to make sure you got it in.

I'm not talking some huge difference here, just one datapoint that the shift quality between the two is mostly hype. Probably has more to do with how good your clutch release is than the trans.

Adding a T56 was a good 20 lbs plus I went from an alum bellhousing (unsafe) to a qucktime, which I had trimmed and cleaned up but still added 10 lbs.

I would be more worried about s trength behind your big block than shift quality. I broke a TKO600 3rd gear one time so it can happen. Haven't ran the T56 in the same conditions yet but I doubt it wil break. The TKO broke road racing on a hot day before I had a cooler, so that may have been a factor as well. 3rd gear is known as the weak spot on these.
Hey i have just mounted an tko 600 extreme from american powertrain in my 69 camaro and that i can recomended . this manuel gears is very good
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 PM

How many miles do you have on it and have you shifted it North of 6500 rpm?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
How many miles do you have on it and have you shifted it North of 6500 rpm?
Hello i havent so many miles on it yet ,becouse i just install it but the trans works very nice no scratching or noise from the trans .i havent go higer or 5000 rpm on it ,but i think there no problems with high rpm shift.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulsund View Post
Hello i havent so many miles on it yet ,becouse i just install it but the trans works very nice no scratching or noise from the trans .i havent go higer or 5000 rpm on it ,but i think there no problems with high rpm shift.
Rev it to 7000 a few times and get back to us.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Rev it to 7000 a few times and get back to us.
He he yes but most wait, break inn first